Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

aerialis
Topic Author

Genesis, Level One

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:41 pm

The GENESIS (Level One) is reviewedon the AERIALIS website.

Thanks to Lance (aka hiflistorr at the GWTW forum) for giving me permission to publish his review on my website.
Sven A
--
AERIALIS Kites
http://kites.aerialis.no/

traveller

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:00 pm

Who sells this kite, and does anyone fly them. This is a seriously good looking kite.

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:30 pm

Tony of Go Kites is the UK distributor of Level One gear. Have a word with him :cool:

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:55 pm

It is great kite. I'll post the old SKN review later today.
:D
Andy

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:57 pm

Neil Edwards (Neil E) is (I believe) the only UK Level One sponsored flyer, I know he'd be more than happy to talk you through it, here or on the NKG forum.

Bryan

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:14 pm

fishface
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Excellant flying :D ,musax abit 80s :shock:

Peter

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:57 pm

Text from the Genesis review in SKN#13 is included below. By the way, didn't Marcel Mehler use one in the Eurocup (2nd place);

The Genesis is a full-size sport kite with a wide wing span and a deep sail area. The test kite had a vivid orange-silver-black colour scheme that would certainly get you noticed on any kite field. The build quality is Germanic, which is to say excellent. The major seams are triple stitched and there are reinforcement panels all over the place. The frame is Skyshark 5PT. From the word “go” this feels like a kite that will last. The bridle is fully adjustable with various activator legs. Whilst these are functional, they do make the bridle look slightly fussy.

Out of the bag, the Genesis has excellent precision flight characteristics. Unlike many large kites it requires a light touch, and I felt immediately comfortable flying it. The turn rate is very fast and it has a tendency toward oversteer, inducing mad spins if you want to go that far. For trick flying it has a first class repertoire. The wide stand-off configuration makes the keel appear very narrow and very deep. The result is a “floaty” feel reminiscent of late 1990s trick kites. The performance is bang up to date though.

The Genesis produces wonderful 540s, Slot Machines, Jacobs Ladders and Yoyos. It sits back nicely allowing you to start lazy susans and multi-lazies. The kite that was tested had approx 25 grammes of weight in the tail, more than the kite would have out of the bag. The fade position is stable and it will flik-flak and backspin very tidily. This is also the best kite I have yet encountered for post-Yoyo tricks [Ed: The Sea Devil & Deep Space have been flown since!]. First wrap-up the kite and then go for another trick before the unwrap. I pulled off Yoyo-Slot machines, Yoyo-540s and Yoyo-multi-lazies with comparative ease. It was excellent fun. The “float” in the sail makes it less suitable for aggressive tumble tricks such as the Comete, and whilst it will do them, they can be a little untidy.

The wind for the flight test was gusting between light and strong. The Genesis has good drive in a light wind and performs in a docile but enjoyable way. When the wind was blowing the kite picked up speed and became very active, but not hard to fly. The pull remains surprisingly light, although you do have to work a bit harder to make the tricks happen.

All round, the Genesis is an excellent kite, with first-class build quality and top-level performance for both Tricks and Precision. The light touch and comparative lack of pull will appeal to those flyers that do not appreciate the modern movement toward hard-pulling trick machines.
The “floaty” feel of the tricks gives you time to think and explore the full potential of what the kite can do, and this makes it all the more enjoyable to fly.

The sole UK dealer for Level One kites is Go Kites of Newcastle. 0191 267 2075.

:D
Andy

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:21 pm

By the way, didn't Marcel Mehler use one in the Eurocup (2nd place)

From what I know he had the new LevelOne Jumping-Jack-Flash. Wingspan 2,04m, very fast and extreme, good precision.
Delivered 2006 in Std, Vtd, UL, SUL. LevelOne will have a custom program to let pilots choose their own frame specs.

In his own words:

http://www.marcel-mehler.de/

go to "Drachen"-> "Outdoordrachen"

Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

aerialis
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 pm

Yes, I saw Marcel competiting in Cuxhaven in August doing some incredible stuff with his Jumping-Jack-Flash (some name, eh?!) So I assume he used the same kite for EC05.
Sven A
--
AERIALIS Kites
http://kites.aerialis.no/

audiorob

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:12 am

(first post here).

He did fly the jumping jack flash in ec05. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

I fly the Genesis(s) almost soley, UL, STD and Vent (no sul yet) and it is really REALLY an amazing kite. Step up from a nirvana (which btw, I sold my nirvana's and moved to the genesis after a good week with the std). Very docile and precise. The smaller 3/4 version called the x-treme by levelone takes the flying characteristics of the genesis and speeds them up like mad. Trick CRAZY!

Really awesome kite. Check it out.. and the jtm as well!

Just my 2 cents :)

edit: I should mention that the vent has an unusually low range that you'd expect for losing that much sail. I fly it in 7-8mph with no problems at all and it rotates much quicker than the STD. The UL does some of the darn near coolest flatspins even in higher winds (speaking below 12mph or so).

Ok, that was 2 more cents, I cant gush enough about the genesis (or level one for that matter).

edit again: just a note, you can get very clean comete by using more of a 'pull' motion than the 'pops' you would with some kites. I still have a bit of trouble with the comete on the genesis but finally figured it out this afternoon :) Yay for me! :) The sucker can move really fast if you give it a reason to.

-Robert

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:36 pm

I am lucky enough to be sposored by Go Kites to fly the Genesis Level One and must admit that in most wind conditions other than above 15mph, it is my 'go to' kite.
I noticed in the review by Lance that he ended putting some weight in the tail, and I ended up doing the same for the same reasons as Lance.
One thing I have noticed while I was messing about with things was when I reduced the length of the top spreader by 2cms the precision was, well, wowee :shock: .... I realise this is a familiarity to all kites (probably) but this was simply an amazing feeling - just wowee, though I ended up going back to standard set up for a more floaty trick experience. Though this 'floatyness' doesn't really help when the wind gets up, but from 3 - 12mph its great and I love flying it.
KITE Rx

Bugly

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:39 pm

Neil, Robert from Oz here, do you include the vented in the floaty catagory? I havent had much time on my Gens yet, floaty is a good descriptor of the Sul and UL but I am still getting to know the vent. Any suggestions on setup. The stock weight are still on the vent but I have moved one of the weights on the std to the rear.

With the SUL do you use any weights? Mine came without.

(sorry for the string of questions)

Robert

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:30 pm

The Genesis that I flew wasn't very nice at all, a pale imitation of the Nirvana/Opium.

Ian
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:35 pm

The last Nirvana I flew wasn't very nice either :wink: