Topic Author

Prism E2 Review

Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:46 pm

Kite: Prism E2
Class: All-Rounder
Cost: £120
Reviewer: Jimothy

First Impressions:

Having heard nothing but good things about this kite, and needing something to practise on that was more forgiving than a Gemini. I awaited delivery of my E2 with baited breath.

When it arrived I was very impressed by the build quality and packaging ? it seemed like a very nicely put together package, and the inclusion of lines and straps (but why aren't the lines sleeved?), ball and float windmeter and instructional DVD added to the satisfying glow of new ownership.

The kite also seems to have bee designed with simplicity in mind, with just one (adjustable) standoff and one wingtip stretcher at each side, and a nice clean 'reverse turbo' bridle.

The DVD went straight into my computer and I sat mesmerised as Mark Reed went through everything from the basics to combinations like the Jacob?s Ladder and Full Monty. The only downsides to the DVD are that the footage has obviously been shot on quite a poor quality digital camera, meaning that it looks grainy when displayed at full screen size, and the truly awful background music (this is almost embarrassing at times).

Build quality/durability:

Having flown this kite quite hard in the first few days, I can say that the sail is very well put together rand well, as is the rest of the kite.

Notable problems are that the standoff-to-spreader fittings are like small leading edge connectors (rather than the more usual spar-grabber type). This may not in itself be a problem, but the fact is that the standoffs are much narrower than the fittings, meaning that they are stretched by the force of the standoffs pushing against one side, and this causes the standoffs to pop out in clumsy landings (I never crash).

Another questionable choice made by prism is to join the upper and lower leading edge with an internal ferrule (ie. a thinner carbon rod that fits inside the spars) rather than a metal external ferrule. Try this: go to the North Pole and build an igloo. Jump up and down on the top (the igloo stands unmoved). Now go inside and push outwards (the igloo falls down around your ears). The designer have obviously failed to realise that whilst circular shapes are incredibly strong against pressure from the outside (which pushes them together) they are relative weak against pressure from within (which forces them apart. This is exactly what happens to the lower leading edges if you put too much pressure on the wingtips, as the inner rod pushes it's way out through the wall of the outer spar. (It should be mentioned her that the Hotrod spars used in the E2 cost $12 plus $11 p&p to the UK if bought direct from Prism, and I've been unable to find any other stockist.)

Flight Characteristics:

The kite is fairly stable in a straight line, and turns quickly with little oversteer as long as you set it up for the right wind conditions. It side slides nicely and holds stalls well.

In terms of tricks I find it copes well with most of the basics, like axels, 540s and flic-flacs. It's incredibly stable on it's back, though it prefers the fade position to the turtle. Cascades are possible, but never look as seamless as they do on say, the Gemini (the E2 being slightly more picky about what positions you can axel it from). Kickturns (half axels) are very clean and snappy, and the lazy susans are both are easier and faster than with the Gemini.

Summary:

Overall, the kite is good for a first or second time buyer, with easy control and plenty of room to grow into it, though arguably there are other kites out there that do as much for a bit less money. Also, bear in mind that with those easily breakable leading edges that you'll worry every time you take it out in more than a light breeze.

Skill range: Beginner-Intermediate
Build quality/Package: 4 :-) :-) :-) :-)
Durability : 3 :? :? :?
Precision: 3 :? :? :?
Tricks: 4 :-) :-) :-) :-)

Axels: 4 :-) :-) :-) :-)
Fades:5 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Spins: 3 :? :? :?

Last edited by jimothy on Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:15 pm

Good first effort and quick !

Just a couple of things:

jimothy wrote:
the inclusion of lines and straps (but why aren't the lines sleeved?

this subject has been debated over at GWTW many, many times, the outcome being down to personal preference, I believe Mark Reid "Big Cheese" at Prism flys with no sleeving, and he's probably got more airtime on his lines than the rest of us put together. Personally all my lines are sleeved.

jimothy wrote:
Another questionable choice made by prism is to join the upper and lower leading edge with an internal ferrule

I know no manufacturer that uses external ferrules on 8mm spars, internal are the norm. Maybe the Hotrod spars aren't so hot :shock:

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:45 pm

cbh wrote:
Personally all my lines are sleeved.

Mine too. Not to start a sleeving line debate here in Jim's marvellous debut review, but I was always under the understanding the dyneema and spectrum and the like cut itself at the knots?

A great review Jim... good start to our new section.

So would you say it is more forgiving than the Gemini? I hated my Gem when I first got it, and my lack of success on it is probably my main reason for having given up for such a long time.

Given that it's said to do everything a Gem does, would you say it's a (gulp) better kite than the Gemini? It does have 3 years on it, after all.

jimothy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:21 pm

Well now, here's a tricky point; the E2 doing "everything the gemini does"...

I'm afraid I simply wouldn't agree with this statement. There are several limitations to the E2's trick repertoire that are more or less significant depending on how you like to fly.

Firstly the axel situation is very different. I know the gemini is kind of axel-biased (in that it seems to do these very well but struggles with some other tricks) but I simply find it an easier kite to do axel-based tricks on than the E2. Don't get me wrong, the Prism kite does very nice flat axels and double axels, but it requires much more precision in the set up thatn the gemini, and this onviously makes it more difficult to string axels together or link them in with other tricks. I can get my Gemini to cacade up, down, fast, slow, whatever, but the E2 seems to only have only speed and it never looks half as sexy smooth as the Gem.

Secondly, the E2 simply won't do a lot of the ground work that can be done with a Gemini. It will tornado (rising backspin off the ground) but won't go any higher than a few feet up (ie you can't make it rise indefinitely). It also favours the fade position so much that any tug on any line whilst the kite is belly-down, nose-away puts it on it's back, and this means it won't do things like the pop up launch (jump start) and belly pop. it's also much harder to cartwheel with anything resembling style.

In my opinion the only way the E2 is better than the Gemini is in the Fade and precision flying. In all other respects, I would say that the gemini is at least its equal, and in many ways its superior, although obviously this is a matter for personal preference as much as anything.

Regarding the leading edge ferrule problem, it may be standard to do this kind of internal thing on 8mm spars, but as described above I think this seems to be making a weak point in this particular kite (or maybe these particular spars) that is going to cost a lot of people dear.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Maestrale $
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

jimothy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:24 pm

Sorry, got carried away there, and forgot the original question - yes I would say that the kite is generally more forgiving than the Gemini except that the shape of the wingtips and lack of trick line make it much more liking to get into an unrecoverable tip-wrap.
Jim

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:04 pm

jimothy wrote:
Regarding the leading edge ferrule problem, it may be standard to do this kind of internal thing on 8mm spars

I think it's more a "pultruded vs. wrapped" question. Pultruded spars should always be connected by an external ferrule - wrapped spars are a lot better at withstanding the sort of stress caused by an internal ferrule, as well as larger in diameter, which would make using external ferrules a bit impractical anyway.

Not exactly sure about the kind of construction used in the Hot Rods, though. They're usually said to be rather similar to SkyShark P200's, which would make them wrapped (& sanded), but they don't seem nearly as strong as the SkySharks. Nevertheless, an internal ferrule would doubtless be the way to go.

but as described above I think this seems to be making a weak point in this particular kite

Without ever having inspected an E2 personally, I'd venture to guess the problem can be traced down to a too short / badly glued ferrule in most cases.

Juha
Last edited by Juha on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimothy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:30 pm

Juha wrote:

Without ever having inspected an E2 personally, I'd venture to guess the problem can be traced down to a too short / badly glued ferrule in most cases.
Juha

Don't know what would constitute a badly glued ferrule, but I can tell you that the ferrule length seems to be about 50mm(on each side of the join).

As for what the hotrod's construction is like, it looks wrapped (don't know about sanded - what's the difference?) but seems no more rigid than most of the pultruded spars I'm familar with. In fact, the lower leading edge seems to flex far more than on any other kite I've flown (so much so that they even flex inwards when flying in highwind, making the wingtips shudder. i'm guessing that it's this flex that put so much internal pressure on the spar that the ferule burst out through it.

As I can't find any reference to hotrod spars anywhere on the net (except on the prism site of course), I can't give any more info, sorry.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Maestrale $
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:33 am

I'd say the LE connector on my 'tana is only 50mm long and I've never split one of the skysharks there, and that kite's been through the wars, believe me... There seems to be something about the hotrods or the E2 or a combination of both that makes this a weak point on this kite...

For a kite that's primarily aimed at beginners (or at least is certainly being marketed that way) I think that using very expensive sticks that seem to be breaking easily is a mistake. And that's a shame, because otherwise it sounds and looks like a great kite - I'd really like to try one one day.

Undercover Jimothy

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:00 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
For a kite that's primarily aimed at beginners (or at least is certainly being marketed that way) I think that using very expensive sticks that seem to be breaking easily is a mistake.

I agree - I think it would have been better to use stronger spars, even if it meant the kite was slightly heavier, when mine broke it wasn't even in very strong winds or a big crash.

h_i_r_0 wrote:
And that's a shame, because otherwise it sounds and looks like a great kite - I'd really like to try one one day.

It is, and you can use mine any time we meet up (hopefully around Christmas time). Hopefully by then all my time will be taken up with my new Surprise :-D :-D :-D

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:05 pm

Undercover Jimothy wrote:
Hopefully by then all my time will be taken up with my new Surprise :-D :-D :-D

Only if there's no wind! And if it's light I'll be using my Skymax/Evotech/.814 UL... (never known a kite with so many names :lol: I'm sure it'll have a few more by the time I get round to flying it properly :lol:)

jimothy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:09 pm

Damn!

You foiled my plan to secretly take over the forum! :evil:

If it wasn't for those meddling kids.....

ps if you could hack into that thread and change the code on that second quote so I didn't look quite so amateurish I'd be much obliged :-D
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Maestrale $
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:11 pm

No sooner said than done

jo

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Started off tonight with the Nirvana, then thought I had a chance with the vented masque but the wind dropped so out came the E2.
Did axels ok and even managed a couple of yoyos, the decent side slide evaded me but how far that was down to wind direction changing I dont know.
One question........ maybe there is an answer to, if I rolled it up or tried something more the lines caught on the whiskers, this happened a few times and any recovery ground work was made an issue by the stitched pocket for said whiskers snagging the lines. Any advice? Or is this down to my lack of experience only? :oops:

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:14 pm

In the Bin with that thing,
B.
Bastiaan.

jo

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:17 pm

bastian but its a jungle colour looked good against darkening sky :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: