Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Goff/Benson SuperFly

Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am

I didn't really want a SF... not really. I did ask Chris for one before Tim took over the manufacture, more to support Chris than because I actually wanted one (and I still love the Element to bits, albeit being purely a fliers kite) - and I'd played with a few of the protos and early constructs.

TBH though, self respectin' UK freestylers shouldn't turn down an opportunity of a new bag with a 'B' on it, and with the complete absence of inspirational new stuff from our other builders for whatever reasons (Mark, Carl, Peter, Tim taking waaay too long for a Tuesday afternoon of note to come around), I've now had a new red SF for a few weeks.

No time to write up a review as yet, and probably not worth while now (Nice job Al). But I'll get some straight on beach footage over the next few sessions and post up later. To summarise very quickly though...

... Ermmm...

... 'Damn' ;-)

Bryan

ian muhamad

Sun May 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Infinitive wrote:
@Ian Yes. Although I approve of tinkering if it is your thing, I'd be surprised if a bridle designed by such experienced flyers can be bettered. On the rare occasion I have tinkered I just end up back where I was to begin with, apart from I have wasted time making the kite worse for a few hours, and then worry that it isn't exactly how it was to begin with! I buy kites made by the best so I don't have to do that kind of stuff ;)

@jaydub - I'll keep at it for landings. For the FJ, try interrupting the backflip just as the kite is passing horizontal, rather than letting it fall into a deep turtle before the lazy-input.

Yes, Al
I had my share of messing up fairly good trick kites to crap just cause I wanted more from it, but this new bridle tweak is from a reliable source.i am confident it will be only for the better. I made the bridle that can be easily return to the standard 3point, if I don't like it.

Anyway I'm still waiting to test it in crappy inland winds. Let see. 8)

jimstl

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:47 am

A nice way get a kite out of a deep turtle is push both hands forward a touch (or take a small step forward) and then do the usual input to return the kite back to the nose up flying position. Pushing the hands forward at the start sends the kite into a slightly deeper turtle. The kite will then want to return back to the original deep turtle, and as it does, one builds on that that momentum with a pull input to bring the kite out of the turtle and into a nose up flying position.

This setup input can be used in a variety of situations, and it becomes second nature pretty quickly.

turbo23

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 am

I received mine yesterday, had a chance to get out and fly today. Everything Infinitive said is spot on. Most of my flying is done inland, so I will have to deal with not so perfect beach winds. It let me know every inconsistent gust and lack of. Pull was light, and had some good oversteer. Saying that I have also been flying a NSE exclusively for quite sometime, so my inputs are not suited for the Superfly yet. It is much quicker, and it tends to almost give away some tricks. I also found is tended to be forgiving when mistakes were made, almost too forgiving. Of course being Benson produced, quality was superb as all other Benson kites. Looking forward to more time.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Re-published on the 'Clique, with insights from Chris Goff and photos from Lars Fakkeldij

http://v2.2.kiteclique.com/benson-super ... al-tanner/

Thanks for the great review Al :-D

-Frazer

Infinitive
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm

OK alright yes I agree the reverse turbo is a little better - perhaps if you have the timing and the skill then the 3-point offers a more direct control, but for the moment I'm defecting to the turbo camp. The 3-point is just a bit too raw, too difficult to set up flat/coin/taz spins, just a touch unforgiving.

My admiratation for this kite only grows, it really is a little beauty. Some might not get along with the insistent turtle, but for me there is something very funky about the SF.

Does anyone have any thoughts on wrapped flight? I didn't realise when I reviewed it, but I think it is surprisingly poor (ie borderline incapable) of wrapped flight. Though I am still fiddling and testing, I'm enjoying flying it with a yoyo-line more, set with the lines wrapping about three inches higher than the yoyostop position. (I've always liked the minimalism of the yoyo-line :) ) I think if I go back to stops they might offer better wrapped flight if set a little higher on the LE - maybe. (Yeah, I defended the builders' bridle design as unimprovable, then changed my mind... and now I am questioning their yoyostop position! Fickle I know...)

Thanks Frazer on getting the review up.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

ian muhamad

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for the update Al. Yay !! I'm not alone, I knew the reverse turbo makes the kite a little better but I have a problem the comete seems to suffer, at least for me I keep losing it. I find it easier to comete with 3pt. Do you experience it? Or its just me.. hmmm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tony S

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 pm

is this reverse turbo bridle thing just for those in the know ? or can anyone play.

Just curious to try ........

Tony

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Tony S wrote:
is this reverse turbo bridle thing just for those in the know ? or can anyone play.

Just curious to try ........

Tony

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12267&p=129679&hilit=superfly#p129679

tspdk

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Best Regards
Thomas