Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Ophidion - Opinions wanted

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Has anyone flown one of these. Could someone give me their opinion. Strengths, weaknesses, wind range etc would be helpful to know. Thanks

jaydub

Re: Ophidion - Opinions wanted

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Yan has both a Std and UL and will be able to comment much better than me.

Flew his Std briefly at Hinckley the other week and think it's a really nice kite (i.e. does everything I can do easily, although my trick repertoire is fairly limited).

Flic-flacs like a dream and all the flat spinny stuff is there in spades.

It has a nice light feel on the lines (even at 10mph) and is very sensitive to inputs (i.e. a bit oversteery), which I think comes from the very wide set bridle.

.....And those single piece 6mm LEs don't half flex on tip stabs.

I'm tempted, although I think the Black Pearl offers much better value for money (100 Euros less)

Yan

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm

As Jon says, I have the STD and the UL. I bought the UL nearly two years ago and loved it, it gives away backspins and opened up some stuff I hadn't got before. Back then the STD was more expensive and I could never justify getting one so moved onto sevens. For some reason I find the UL frustrating to fly now and prefer my Seven UL. The ophidion UL will fly in very low winds tho' and I think that if I stuck with it for some time I would be able to get everything I want out of it.

Custom made Kites have only just started remaking the STD and I bought one first chance I got. The STD is a very nice kite, well made and a capable freestyle kite. As Jon says it is very light on the lines and It has got a very broad wind range and copes well with higher winds but flys best below about 12mph.

I like my Ophidions, but that said I am thinking about selling them in favour of something with better precision and square corners. So if you are interested let me know :wink:

Yan

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Yan wrote:
... but that said I am thinking about selling them in favour of something with better precision and square corners.

Ha! Boot camp strikes again :)
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Dubflier

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi harveystubbs

I bought an Ophidion UL last year, I'm relatively new to the sport and have aquired a nice set of decent kites that cover a broad wind range. I do like been able to get the Ophidion out of the bag when the winds are under 12 kph. Just a couple of things surprized me with the build quality, noting that the kite retails for nearly €300 euros, the 3pt bottom spreaders are bridle eaters considering that Black Diamonds are used on the STD & SUL why not the UL as well ? also to tie off the wing tip tensionors at the nock is near impossable as the length of bridle line installed is too short. I also had to move the C clips that are glued under the yo yo guides as the sail was bunching up at both areas.

Dubflier

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. Really helpful. It just looks like a nice panel layout. I am a bit sceptical about having 6mm leading edges. I know they are probably high mod carbon though and they seem to be common in the German made kites.

Dubflier

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Harvey

I hope I wasn't been to critical of the Ophidion the couple of small things that I mentioned were more of an annoyance than major flaws, the over all build quality is good, the stitching is flawless and the kite has a very nice presence on the end of the lines.

Dubflier

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Keithgrif wrote:
Yan wrote:
... but that said I am thinking about selling them in favour of something with better precision and square corners.

Ha! Boot camp strikes again :)

Been loaning out them there T5's again? Outstanding for that job...

@ Harvey, 6mm Structil makes a really nice LE, the extra flex compared to Skyshark as an example gives a satisfying 'Snap' into lines and gives a smoother flow to some high impact tricks. Swings and Roundabouts.

Bryan

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm

bryan beasley wrote:

Been loaning out them there T5's again? Outstanding for that job...

Bryan

Actually no, but he did borrow Tony's UL .85 Fury.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Yan

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Keithgrif wrote:
Actually no, but he did borrow Tony's UL .85 Fury.

Yes, nice kite, thanks Tony. :-D

Their a funny thing them straight lines, they make my flying look all purposeful and controlled :shock: ....definitely required for the whole ballet thing :wink: . So I am trying to raise some funds towards something new and shiny, not sure what yet tho'...

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Ah, getting it Yan?
Boot Camp worthwhile then...

Bryan

jaydub

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Yan wrote:
Their a funny thing them straight lines, they make my flying look all purposeful and controlled :shock: ....definitely required for the whole ballet thing :wink: . So I am trying to raise some funds towards something new and shiny, not sure what yet tho'...

Go on, give us a hint........ ;)

Yan

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Ah, getting it Yan?
Boot Camp worthwhile then...

Bryan

Yup, boot camp was great, learned allot and hopefully raised my game a bit. Now I need a kite that will do the straight lines and trick...and some money to spend :? :D

jaydub

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 am

Harv, your avatar now looks very Ophidion like. Did you weaken?

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 am

Quartz/Organic