Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

harveystubbs
Topic Author

R Sky Toxic std ‘s’ – Review

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 am

I have recently bought one of these and thought I would write a short review.

As this is my first review please let me know if I have missed anything or if you have any questions.

Construction

I currently have a few R Sky kites and I have previously heard of some build quality issues. I have no significant issues with this kite or with any other of their kites. My previous acquisitions have not perhaps been up to the build quality of the Benson/ JOE kites but they have been very good bar the usual tinkering that is required with most new kites. Whilst there is nothing ground breaking in terms of the construction or materials used in this kite though there are some notable points:-

1. The panel layout really works despite the mylar panel in the centre of the panel layout.
2. It feels as if there is a built in leech line of sorts in the trailing edge a la Fury 0.85 which is a welcome addition. However this is neither tensioned to the wing tips or spine but is sewn in and does absolutely nothing to stop any sail vibration. I have added my own and this has transformed the kite and made it much better to fly (I would strongly recommend doing this on this particular kite).
3. The bridle is a standard 3 point and you will probably need to add a section to stop tail wraps (as with every r sky kite I have seen).
4. I have had to glue the stand-off caps on … so no big deal.

The std ‘s’ kite is advertised on their web site to have P3X lower leading edges. And lower spreaders and P200 uppers. However mine came with P300 LLE’s (I can’t tell what the ULE’s are made of … I think p200), P300 lower spreaders, P200 top cross and 6mm spine. This seems fine to me and the frame is nice and rigid. The dimensions are 225cm x 87 cm which is a good size and aspect ratio for this type of freestyle/ trick kite. To me the dimensions seem to make sense and this add to the overall appearance of the kite.

The tail weight is in the spine and not the barrel shaped weight used on the NSE. I think it has been glued there so it will be interesting to try and remove it.

Over all I am impressed.

In flight

Anyway enough of this monkey business, how does it fly?

This kite is marketed as more of a trick/ freestyle kite than a polyvalent kite. The tricks capability is impressive and it can track well too. I did not find one trick that it couldn’t do with competence. Axels are better than a lot of other R Sky designs, fades are steady and controllable as are turtles which are not overly deep as with some of the other French kites. I think with a bit of practice this might be capable of a rising turtle. Yo-yo based stuff is great fun and the kite wraps up reasonably quickly. 540’s and slots are a breeze (no pun intended) and the kite has the ability to do slow floaty ones or fast flat ones. Combinations are flowing and impressive. Wap doo waps and yo lazies are fun. I am still learning the comete but this is within reach. The kite turns just inside it’s own wing tip too. Overall, very nice.

The hand movements required to trick are somewhere between the small JOE and DS movements and the titanic Nirvana ones so it is easy to ‘dial into’ without too much adjustment if you fly these regularly. The same is also true of the kites tricks/ precision bias. It’s not a super radical freestyler but it does want to be flown and tricked.

Wind range

I have flown the kite from a whisper up to about 15 mph. The action starts at about 3mph as you would expect. I haven’t flown it in very heavy wind but I have no reason to suggest that it won’t fly in over 20 mph winds. Its low wind performance is quite impressive for std kite I would say not dissimilar to the DS std.

Conclusion

Do you need one? Perhaps, it depends what’s in your bag at the mo’. I think this is one of those kites that would be on your ‘a’ list as it suits a number of moods, has a big wind range and is great fun. It’s therefore an easy option. I think it is worth serious contemplation and I have not regretted my purchase!

I would also like to say a big thanks to Martin at the Bristol Kite Store who is always very helpful.

Hope this is helpful

Thanks Harv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: R Sky Toxic std ‘s’ – Review

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:57 pm

I know P2X has become unobtainium, I would guess the same applied to all the range.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Vee, Thanks I had heard this too. I wonder why? The kite works very well regardless. I know the px series is not that flexible so may not be able to be used in all leading edges (not referring to this kite obviously in this instance).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the kite dead launches quite easily too. Definitely recommended.

Cheers, Harv

jaydub

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm

I guess the aesthetics are in the eyes of the beholder.

Not one I would consider buying, simply because I don't like the panel layout. Can't quite work out how they've managed to progress from the Krystal and Nirvana to this.

Guess that makes me a shallow kiter. :)

I also have an inherent nervousness about the longevity of mylar in sail panels (based on an old Gem I used to own). At lease these mylar panels are awy from the nose which is always going to be a particular stress point.

Sounds as though it tricks rather nicely though........ :?

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
Vee, Thanks I had heard this too. I wonder why?

The high modulus carbon fibre that is used on the P2X (and presumably the P3X, though not the P1X apparently) is simply not being supplied to Skyshark, the producer has bigger more lucrative orders to fill instead.

The kite business is simply not big enough.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks Keith, Maybe it's natures way of telling us to purchase more kites !

Ramo

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Dose Toxic make a noise when the kite turn?

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Ramo, Yes it did make quite a lot of noise until I installed a leech line. Now it makes no noise at all !

Ramo

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks, harveystubbs!

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
Ramo, Yes it did make quite a lot of noise until I installed a leech line. Now it makes no noise at all !

Surely that trailing edge flutter is part of the design, shedding power when necessary and helping to stabilize the kite in straight line flight. Just like the Fury and the NSR before it.

I guess it doesn't matter for freestyle flying but it'll be an ingredient for the kite's polyvalent moniker.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

I know exactly what you mean but this is a trick kite and even when the kite is being tricked the inputs feel ever so slightly sharper with the leech fitted. Maybe it's a placebo thing.

Mind you at higher wind speeds I also like a faster kite. Either way I think it flys very well, I just prefer it with the leech!

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

I have added an update to this review which is located at the following link:-

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3. ... -by-harvey

Enjoying this kite, Harv