Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Sub

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 pm

That looks brutal Paul, have you been able to repair it?

Miles F

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:11 am

To date I have not had the misfortune of some mutt damaging my kite but feel it can only be a matter of time. I'm giving serious thought to keeping an ultrasound dog deterent in my kite bag and it gauls me to do so because I shouldn't have to.

Though I don't own a dog at the moment the family have had a few over the years and there is no excuse for poorly trained, unruly and aggressive animals. It is of course their owners fault.

Any leagal eagles out there got any sound advice as to how to bring pressure to bear on obnoxious dog owners?
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

feathers
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:05 pm

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/sonic-al ... MP0xisgw**

Maybe a good idea....and if the worst come to the worst you can always throw it into the owners car!

I'd be interested if there was anything that we can do when this happens....surely they have to take responsibility for it, ok this time wasn't a bad rip, but if like pauls it's really bad and they argue they can't help it and don't want to pay can we bring the police in?
Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection
-----------------------------------
3 Highflyers Precision kites
2 Stacker 10's
1 Stacker 8
Flexifoil Stranger
Flexifoil Physco
Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

Sub

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Video evidence would I'm sure be all the proof the police require to enforce a claim for criminal damages, if it's clear the animal was acting out of control and unprovoked.

adampoll

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:21 pm

I would like to state that as the mentioned dog kicker, I am a dog lover so much so I want one myself but am seriously allergic to them.

I dont make a habbit of kicking dogs but this little sod went for me, and after this absolute arse with a terrible attitude had tried to have a go and say the damaged was already done before his dog went for the DS, I just had to.

During the conversation the dogs were charging around all of our feet and lines to the point were one of the dogs got a little bit caught up in the lines, I did try to tell the owner that if the dogs bolt off the lines could potentially slice the dogs head off(abit OTT i know).

I must admit that this fella did not shout or get aggressive but he had the worst attitude ive seen since ive been flying.

Adam
RUN WITH IT!!!!!!!LEG IT!!!!!!!!

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Sub wrote:
Video evidence would I'm sure be all the proof the police require to enforce a claim for criminal damages, if it's clear the animal was acting out of control and unprovoked.

I refer the right honourable member for Camarthenshire to my previous post:

http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 1628#81628

I had this dream the other night.
I was pulling lazy loops with a Level One Thor's Hammer,all 3.95m of it,modded with the broken -off end third of a Samurai sword taped to the nose.
As I passed low to the ground I struck in the nether regions a medium sized specimen of Canis Kitevorous.
A minute later up comes the ugliest example of Dogownerous Indignanti who shouts at me "You $*&!!@ you've cut my "Tyson"'s tail off.
To which I replied "How do I know he had one when he got here?"
Last edited by Stan Doff on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KITE SLINGER

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Tregolwyn wrote:
feathers wrote:
to which his first answer was " how do i know that wasn't there before"

I think I know that person, exactly the same response I got when my Nirvana got wrecked on a Pembrokeshire beach. Clearly they are holidaying further north this time.

Paul

I'd go in a have that thing check for rabies :lol: thats looks pretty bad

Sub

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:12 pm

Stan Doff wrote:
I refer the right honourable member for Camarthenshire to my previous post:
http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 1628#81628

I didn't see that one, thanks for the cross ref.
So, is it automatically negligence on the owners part if thier dog damages my property? (unprovoked)

feathers
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:02 pm

i'd class any dog attacking a kite as being out of control....what's the next step? the dog attacks a toddler playing? it's no like the kite was even flying, it was sitting in a dead position on the ground.

fair enough the damage this time wasn't severe, but what if it happens again and the thing is wrecked...if the owner has an attitude like he did then i'm stuck as a student, with little money as it is the best part of £200 out of pocket....
I would like to state that as the mentioned dog kicker, I am a dog lover so much so I want one myself but am seriously allergic to them.

Sorry Adam didn't mean to make you appear bad, the mutt asked for it and it was only as it had a go at you, you kicked it to stop it biting you.

Did you manage to get that fixed in the end paul?
Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection

-----------------------------------

3 Highflyers Precision kites

2 Stacker 10's

1 Stacker 8

Flexifoil Stranger

Flexifoil Physco

Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Sub wrote:
So, is it automatically negligence on the owners part if thier dog damages my property? (unprovoked)

Only if...
The incident was due to the owners negligence (ie, they did something they should not have done or they failed to do something that they should have done), or
Their dog has behaved in a similar manner on a previous occasion and they were aware of it.

hence my interpretation
So as I see it,if a dog bites you the it's automatically a criminal case,but if it merely eats your kite then it wont be enough even for a civil claim,unless you can prove "negligence",or the dog has previously dined on icarex.

Sub

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Ok, but what should the owner do? If an owner sees thier dog running after the kite, calls for it to stop, but the dog still causes some damage. Who's responsible for the repair bill? The law has to be clear about that.

In my experience most of the dogs don't do what the owners shout over for it to do. "dogname come here!!!"- nothing... still running around. To me that's negligence, they shouldn't let a dog off the lead if it doesn't do what the owner tells it to do.

adampoll

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 pm

feathers wrote:
Sorry Adam didn't mean to make you appear bad, the mutt asked for it and it was only as it had a go at you, you kicked it to stop it biting you.

Its alright no worries.
RUN WITH IT!!!!!!!LEG IT!!!!!!!!

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:57 pm

Sub wrote:
To me that's negligence, they shouldn't let a dog off the lead if it doesn't do what the owner tells it to do.

I entirely agree. Unfortunately, the ass that is the law doesn't.

Tregolwyn

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Sub wrote:
That looks brutal Paul, have you been able to repair it?

feathers wrote:
Did you manage to get that fixed in the end paul?

Not really. I attempted the superglue method but the size of the rip made it look a right mess. Haven't got around to fixing the broken stand off yet.

As I posted at the time I managed to get some free legal advice and as already stated here unless negligence can be proven there is no case to answer (apart from the moral one of course). Apparently dogs jump on things that are colourful and move so it is to be expected so unless the owner encourages it or fails to control the dog after the event there is probably no case to answer (and let's just hope it is not a small child). I was flying with Rob (Stan Doff) at the weekend and he pointed out that we are a nation of dog lovers not a nation of kite fliers. I am not sure I belong to that nation but I take his point.

Paul

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Tregolwyn wrote:
Apparently dogs jump on things that are colourful and move so it is to be expected

That was the excuse of the utter berk whose dog appeared out of nowhere and ran at my 2-yr old daughter, jumped on her, and barked in her face as she lay screaming with fear. A few seconds later, as I had the mutt by the collar and was getting the details off the disc thereon, this sesquipodex threatened me with a golf club and said it was my fault for letting my daughter run in the park!

Plod did SFA.

Nearly 20 years ago, and it still makes my blod boil when I think of it.