Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sail Edging

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:20 am

I'm still trying to catch up with kite making techniques and materials after my 10 year absence.

I notice that most sails nowadays have a black edging to them. What is the material used for this?. For example, is it a heavy grade of polyester fabric and is it available precut in strips or do people cut it themselves from normal fabric widths?.

Thanks,

Bill.

RoyReed

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:33 am

If you mean the stuff on the leading edges, it's Dacron - usually available in 25mm, 50mm and 75mm widths from most kite stores (Tradewind, KiteWorks and the Highwaymen all stock it).
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am

RoyReed wrote:
If you mean the stuff on the leading edges ---

Sorry Roy, I should have been more clear. I know about the options for the LE tape, it is the tape that is used on the trailing edges of many Icarex trick kite sails that I am asking about.

Bill.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:13 am

Its usually ripstop nylon or sometimes, in heavily stressed areas, Dacron.

On kites that yoyo it tends to wear better and the fact that it stretches/recovers a little helps prevent cracking on the trailing edge on noisy kites / kites flown with the leech line slack.

Sometimes, on a curved TE getting a neat rolled seam in Icarex which doesn't stretch can take more care than its worth and its just easier to use a tape.

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:33 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
Its usually ripstop nylon -- .

Thanks for your reply Ian.

Would this ripstop be something of similar weight to the old Carrington K42?.

Also, do you know if is available already cut to width in rolls?.

Bill.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:56 pm

I use 65gsm ripstop from the Highwaymen, but the downside is that I have to cut the strips myself as I also use this material for bags. You can buy it in 25mm rolls, which would be far more convenient.

Mark

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
You can buy it in 25mm rolls, which would be far more convenient.

Thanks for that information Mark.

Are those rolls available from retailers or do we need to go to trade suppliers?.

Bill.

Airbow Selecta

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi Bill
Dunstable Kites normally stock a huge ramge of kite building materials
;-)

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:10 pm

For my kites I handcut .75oz Chikara because it wears very well, doesn't fray and doesn't stretch too much - also I cut on the grain, some people prefer bias tape which has more give. It is similar to K42 but its double coated and waterproof.

Some people use 25mm folded to give double thickness. You can get 25mm or 50mm from a variety of places.

If you dont want to deal direct with manufacturers most retailers will obtain a roll for you (they'll just add their markup which is only fair).

ISTR the only place I've seen 1/2" tape was kitebuilder.com - I've not tried it but I've bought other stuff from there and can recommend them if you can't find what you want over here.

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks for the information folks, it is really helpful.

Bill.

StuartB

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:15 am

I bought some 25mm black ripstop tape from a kite shop in Amsterdam (Joe's) last year and it was just the job. I have used it all now so I am back to hand-cutting my own. I haven't seen it on sale in the UK anywhere. I did ask Shirley at the Highwaymen about it and she said that she would look into it, but I don't know if she found any. I don't think I was the first to ask about it though.

The stuff I bought was cut straight and that is the way I cut my own. You'd think it would be difficult to fit on a concave trailing edge but you just pretend that the bit going through the machine is straight and it all comes out ok in the end as the nylon tape gives enough to follow the curve.