Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

IanM
Topic Author

Re: Another Le Quartz build....

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 pm

And a small half size job made up from bits n bobs i give you  the 'Dart'.
Not entirely convinced with the stand off positions but we'll see when i attempt to get it in the sky,

Ian

BigT

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Nice

IanM
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks BigT :)

BlueSkyBry

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Very nice Ian. Looks like it’s going to be a fast one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IanM
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Hope so Bry that's the plan anyway.
PS
Nice strong winds on Sunday so i got it in the sky.....Brilliant in a straight line but turns were not good. It requires the tiniest of hand movement to turn the kite, which usually resulted in mental over-steer or a dervish like rapid descent to the ground..... much tweaking required. Think the frame is too heavy (fibreglass that i had lying around) and i will experiment with the standoffs. Great fun though on a day that was not good for the big kites.

honchoboy

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Nice job on the Quartz. The first of many.

It is a great build to start with.

I personally found mine to have a frustrating dead spot in flare to fades. But the back spins and lazies are nice and fast.

I keep thinking to go back to this build and tweak it some. The 6mm LEs would be where I would start with tinkering.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

IanM
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks Ian
I really enjoy the building process as much as flying so yes ......there will be many more !
Take your word on the kite's performance though, being a newb at trick flying I have nothing to compare it with, anything more than an axel is pretty much beyond me at this time :)  

Cheers
Ian M

Ian

IanM
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:08 am

Wee bit of flying yesterday (nothin fancy)...love this kite  :D

IanM
Topic Author

Re: My Builds...

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:22 am

Hello folks,
Changed this thread to My builds as there's more than the Le Quartz in here now.
Always loved the look of the M Quad so of course I decided to have a crack at one.
So with a few pictures and no plans I have come up with this ...

Enjoyed doing a bit of applique as well on the middle panel . (It's from  a Robert Burns poem which links into my flying location).
Just got to figure out how to bridle it, any thoughts, help or opinions would be most welcome.

Happy flying !!
Ian

RoyReed

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Do you have to paint your face with woad and speak with an Australian/Scottish accent to fly it? ;-)

Seriously, it looks lovely.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

IanM
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks Roy  :-D
Think i have the flag thing out of my system now and any new projects will be more traditional and  'Kitey' looking.

PS
The woad is a must .....(although painting it on your face is frowned upon in these parts ;) ) but the poorly delivered historical inaccuracies are something we could all easily live without  :D

RoyReed

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:31 pm

You'll have to let us know how it flies - even though it is from 'the dark side'!
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

IanM
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Takes a tightwad eejit to assume that two dual linesets same size and make but bought about a year apart would be the exact same length !

And completely unrelated...
I'll let you know how it flies once the quad line set I have just ordered arrives ;-)

IanM
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:04 am

Got the lines sorted and got to try it out yesterday. The wind was far too strong but undaunted i was determined to have a go. It is fast and twitchy and i found it pretty difficult, the strong wind and zero quad experience were a disaster waiting to happen, after much random spinning i was eventually able to gain some control but just when i was beginning to get the feel for it disaster struck !!...propellered it straight into the ground taking a spar and a connector with it :( 
So ..going to replace the dihedral connectors with bigger ones and 'sleeve' the 6mm rods at the connectors with 8mm carbon tube to strengthen it up a bit...then i'll be back cause i was loving the few (brief) moments when i had it under control.........the pulling force of the dark side is too great.
Ian :)
Last edited by IanM on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

IanM
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 pm

So first requirement is some new connectors. Luckily I have a few mechanical engineers at work so a few hours later (plus a few chocolate biscuits) and the new improved connectors were getting 3d printed.

Little chunkier with some added support, hopefully these will be sturdier.

Ian