Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

pa79vel
Topic Author

Re: Eolo Over Mods

Thu May 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Pete!
This clears up everything and makes perfect sense!
Thanks for explanation! Now I am sure I will keep the bridle as was and what's more - now I know how to check if it is tied properly.

711jrp wrote:
Don't try to think of it as the length of the leg but how high the attachment point on the leading edge is changed...

That's more or less what I meant about the "arm" length that is changing - if only the lower leg is tensioned in flight and loose in backflip.

All clear! Thanks again!
in my bag: Eolo Genesis, Eolo Over, DIY l'Organic, Kitehouse Pulsar, DIY SixthSense, DIY Magnet, Fly-Acoustik UL, Level One Gentleman, R-Sky Shooter Classic, DIY D&N
http://www.youtube.com/user/pa79vel/videos

Robert Scholten

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm

A hello to every-one who loves to fly the Over from Robert from the Netherlands. (@Pavel; found the topic)
I bought a new Over (still for sale overhere) 3 month ago and was so enthousiastic about the kite that I decided to build a sul/ul.
Bought a secondhand Over in Germany and with some tips on how to of experience builders overhere reframed the kite.
Reframed the leading edges with 2pt's up and p1x below, a set of 2pt (sul) and 3pt (ul) lower spreaders and a 4 mm (sul) /4,5 ul upperspreader and tiny apa's. The kite had it's maidenflight last sunday. After replacing 6 grams of weight in the tale/ the standard Over has 12 gram), it behaved prety much like my standard Over. Will post my expierences her.
Robert

pa79vel
Topic Author

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Robert,
thanks for the specs. I will have to think about building lighter versions one day!

For now I managed to find the time and finish restring my Over.
I added a few pics to the same folder I was sharing the original specs (here).
Unfortunately the wind today was too strong for the maiden flight so I still can't wait to try it.

I have added a few things apart from what I intended to do at the begining.

The tail weight is solved a bit different. I did not change spine - it is still the same 6mm rod.
I shortened it by the length of the weight and inserted it into a piece of a p200 leftover together with the end of the spine.
All fitted closely to prevent the weight from moving in flight. For better explanation I uploaded two photos.
In case I need more weight - there is a weight pocket (kitehouse style) at the tail velcro.

I also had to shorten the spine on the nose side, as I made the kitehouse style nose as well.

The bridle remained as was - with the gooseneck at upper APA.
Carlo, thanks for directing me to Krijn's method of quick tying of the bridle!
Works great! (Krijn, thanks for sharing!)
I also added an extra sleeving for the part of the upper leg that I often get damaged fast.
It is were the upper leg touches the LS when the kite is backflipped.
I mostly fly at the beach, so the sand on LSs cuts the lines quite fast.

I still would like to as a great favor all the Eolo Over owners.
Could you please post or send me your bridle dimensions?
I am quite sure I have them as the originals buy the gooseneck part doesn't seem to work right.
As I wrote before - the upper leg is tensioned innormal flight - the lower leg is rather loose.
I would love to compare the dimensions to other Overs and check what might be wrong.

When I set it all up I will share the dimensions of the bridle and add the new dimensions of spine to the set.

Cheers!
Paweł
in my bag: Eolo Genesis, Eolo Over, DIY l'Organic, Kitehouse Pulsar, DIY SixthSense, DIY Magnet, Fly-Acoustik UL, Level One Gentleman, R-Sky Shooter Classic, DIY D&N

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 pm

=D> =D>

(and no thanks!)

pa79vel
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

krijn wrote:
(and no thanks!)

It is just that I appreciate the methods that you share.
That is really helpful!

Robert Scholten

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Update: moved the centercross of my standard Over 5 mm up. Improves the backflip that's easier to control and more steady/ less floaty.

Question: anyone who has experience with differences between bridles of standard and sul versions of the same kite?
My sul/ul won't built up pressure and it lifts very difficult/ is incredibly slow and because of the lack of pressure it's very hard to trick.
Tried moving the briddle towards the tale, but there's only a little improvement, regarding to building up pressure. If I shorten the lines on the ULE, it lifts a bit better but tricking is very hard, because of a the lack of pressure. Any suggestions on what I should/ can change. The length of the rodds an the briddle are identical to the one on my standard Over. 

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 pm

for a sul sometimes it work to shorten each leg by 5%, wit ha shorter bridle the kite will be more reactive
but i alwas just use the normal bridle, but just from lighter materials

but also a warning: sul-flying is an art, sul's are reacting slow on commands and need a lot more time
the lack of weight makes the kites more floaty, but also harder to trick

Krijn

Robert Scholten

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Thank you for your advice. It's probably wise to fly it at sea with a steady 2 bft, to make a good judgement. The wind overhere is very flattery most of the time. I compared the behaviour when it concerns pressure and lifting with a Jumping Jack SUL and a Neox UL and Pierre's standard 99 had no difficulty flying while I needed to work to get the Over SUL in the air. So it definitely needs tuning.