Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

pa79vel
Topic Author

Eolo Over Mods

Sat May 06, 2017 11:07 am

I am searching for any mods of the discontinued model of Eolo Over.
Or to be precise - the non-existant Eolo Sport's kite.

It was the first full-size stunt kite I had. I learned all the basics with it and I still enjoy flying it.
Unfortunately the sail got so worn out that I assumed it would be easier to make a new sail than repair the old one.
Maybe I will repair it when the new one is ready...
Anyway, I would like to make a few changes to the kite while this renovation:
- change nose to "Kitehouse" style
- replace stand-off connectors to typical screw-mounted (and avoid original pocket)
- change bridle - I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the (2) uphaul legs are not necessary - please let me know if I am wrong ;)
- change tailweight attachment
- change trailing edge tensioning

And to the point. I am searching for any mods that have been made to the kite.
Especially ones that have been used, checked and seem to improve the kite's performance.

I took all measurements of my Over. They seem to be a bit off relating to original specs but I will not change the spars this time.
Sharing here if anyone needs them.

I will be grateful for any hints and specs!

I will try to keep you posted with the build as well.... probably in a separate topic.

Thanks!
in my bag: Eolo Genesis, Eolo Over, DIY l'Organic, Kitehouse Pulsar, DIY SixthSense, DIY Magnet, Fly-Acoustik UL, Level One Gentleman, R-Sky Shooter Classic, DIY D&N
http://www.youtube.com/user/pa79vel/videos

fourmatic

Re: Eolo Over Mods

Sun May 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Here some photos.Old and new ones.
Both Overs are similar mods.

https://mega.nz/#F!xlA1QRiI!x4B0NUPYp8lfoCEKG23aBQ

Mods: Upper spreader: 44,5cm
Lower S: 74cm(position of the connector on LE, from th enose 94 cm)
Bridle the same as original.Position on pictures.
Spine to SShark or similar.
Some fittings are HQ, Exel, and APA(if you prefer to replace LE fittings from Eolo)
Custom weight.
Nothing more.
Good long lines(Lazer, Climax, Lyros 40-50dan 35+ meters) + non cheap straps(customs are the best)

Performance after:
Probably the best cometes, slots, nice sharp corners, radical 2 point landing(Richard, Mathieu).Light wind performance.
Thats all.

pa79vel
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Alex!
Seems a good idea to change the spine rod to something that allows inserting tailweight inside!
If I understand well - there is no change to geometry nor spine (dimensions seem more or less the same as original).
For a moment I thought about shortening the upper spreader to get the kite easier/better into turtle (or yo-yo).
But that is something that can be checked later on...

I agree with your description of performance! even at original settings!

BTW... any idea on the bridle? do the (2) legs of uphaul help with anything?
in my bag: Eolo Genesis, Eolo Over, DIY l'Organic, Kitehouse Pulsar, DIY SixthSense, DIY Magnet, Fly-Acoustik UL, Level One Gentleman, R-Sky Shooter Classic, DIY D&N

fourmatic

Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Waiting for reborn of your Over.Pretty rare to see such kind of project(instead of making a kite from an open free plan).
my notes:
the upper spreader already shortened(by my opinion no need more).The shape is sharp looking, without affecting the main design and LE.
About bridle.Atelier and the latest R-Sky Unik have also the 2 point leg part(at the bottom, but the main idea is the same).I have no idea how it works. :-D But, I guess, its all about Precision. And maebe the performance in strong winds...For me it looks just cool, nothing more. :cool:

pa79vel
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 am

I know it might be strange to make a new sail...
Probably I would be able to find a used Over at similar costs of the new sail (material + worktime).
But the spars are still in good condition and it would be a pity to put the old one away to lie in the closet and not see the sun.
Of course there is a lot of open-plan-kites to be build... but they have to wait in a queue ;)

For the bridle... You got a bit unsure.... maybe I should keep it as is... might be it is "for something".
I will have to think about it still. Ans search a bit info maybe...
Thanks Alex!

kareloh

Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 am

Cool project! Love the Over and still regret selling mine. A custom Over sail would be very nice to have. Have seen your progress pics on Insta: very nice color choice.

pa79vel
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Carlo!
As you understand I am not making the plan public, as it was a commercial design.
Not even sure what are the copyrights for this design and who they belong to - the designer or Eolo (which is Chinese now).
I didn't manage to reach the designer so far... but still trying. I will try to contact Eolo and try to check the status.

Glad you like the color choice!
I will post some pictures here soon...

Carlo! Any thoughts on the double leg of the bridle? ;)

711jrp

Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm

from what I could work out it is there to help the crazy copter and the yo-fade, not sure if it actually does though.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

pa79vel
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 pm

711jrp wrote:
from what I could work out it is there to help the crazy copter and the yo-fade, not sure if it actually does though.

Might be ;)
Still hard to say - I never did any of these with Over ;)

kareloh

Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 am

I might not remember correctly but i thought the lower part of the goose-leg bridle is not under tension in normal flight. It might come under tension during the front flip of a crazy-copter like Pete said.

The Transfers from l'Atelier had the goose-leg at the bottom APA. The lower part was not under tension in normal flight but tensioned when in Fade position. It was supposed to help for Backspins since you pull "lower" on the LE. Still very hard Backspins though...

Who was the OVER designer?

pa79vel
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm

OK... so it my seem reasonable to keep the bridle as is...

I had a little chat with Rezinga - you may remember him from Eolo videos, flying the Genesis...
I got information that Over was designed by Roverto Hartasanchez.
Unfortunately I didn't not manage to reach him - even though he is a member of this forum as well.
If, by any chance, anyone has any contact with him I would be grateful for help. ;)

BWT.. at this moment I found a topic here, which I haven seen before:
http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2928&hilit=rezinga

[EDIT: Roverto's profile does not exist anymore]

711jrp

Wed May 10, 2017 12:03 am

kareloh wrote:
I might not remember correctly but i thought the lower part of the goose-leg bridle is not under tension in normal flight. It might come under tension during the front flip of a crazy-copter like Pete said.

It's actually the other way around Kareloh The lower leg is in tension in normal flight and as you and as you lay the nose away the top leg tightened supposedly making it easier to pop the nose forward, it's bit like the transfer but inverted.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

kareloh

Wed May 10, 2017 8:28 am

Ah i see, IDNRC then ;)

pa79vel
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

Not really sure how the gooseneck works still.
Not sure how much does that change when lower gets loose in backflip.
The "arm" gets a bit longer - thats true - but comparing to simple one-leg bridle - the arm is the same.
It always seemed to me that both of the legs were tensioned in flight - if only the lower was tensioned in flight - that would be a big difference...
Just thinking aloud :)

I guess I will restore the original bridle just to see how it works.

711jrp

Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 pm

If both legs are tensioned in normal flight its not set up correctly. Don't try to think of it as the length of the leg but how high the attachment point on the leading edge is changed, that has moved up quite considerably in back-flip.I know the next thing you are going to say is "but that ends up with just a normal upper attachment point like any other kite" And you would be right in saying that but if you look at the over the top spreader is actually a bit higher than most kites which confuses the matter.If the top spreader was in a more normal position the goose neck lower leg would attach to the spreader and the whole system would be easier to understand. I hope this clears up how it's meant to work.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers