Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Floater
Topic Author

Ferrule removal from good carbon

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:58 pm

I am needing some tips to remove a couple of snapped aluminium ferrules from good undamaged carbon please.

Thanks

Sean
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

Some of the gear, no idea.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Ferrule removal from good carbon

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Blimey really, I've no idea, but would have thought the carbon would break way before the aluminium :shock:

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:42 pm

What has worked for me I the past is to gently file across the ferrule and eventually it will weaken enough to be prised off. Good luck.
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows." - Bob Dylan.

Floater
Topic Author

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:51 pm

Craig wrote:
Blimey really, I've no idea, but would have thought the carbon would break way before the aluminium :shock:

When I saw the crash, I saw carbon shattering in my mind everywhere fortunately it was just the spine shattered and both aluminium ferrules and snapped clean in half and no torn fabric.

Bill Lancashire wrote:
What has worked for me I the past is to gently file across the ferrule and eventually it will weaken enough to be prised off. Good luck.

Ok I will give that a go thanks, so no heating up to loosen the glue, which I assume is super glue of some sort?

Thanks

Sean
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

Floater
Topic Author

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Sorted with the SteveC brute force, shock and awe method

Palmahnic

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Acetone devolves most glue. Use with care, in diluted portions for short time periods. Then apply moderate force to remove the ferrule.
Thank you kindly,
Iftah.

Floater
Topic Author

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Palmahnic wrote:
Acetone devolves most glue. Use with care, in diluted portions for short time periods. Then apply moderate force to remove the ferrule.

Thanks

SteveC

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm

Floater wrote:
Sorted with the SteveC brute force, shock and awe method

Whattdayamean!! cheek! Thats for C clips not ferrules!!

Heat!.... either a gas torch ( the propane can type ) or an electric heat gun used for paint stripping. Hold the carbon in a rag heat up the ferrule evenly for a minute or two ( sometimes you can see the vapour of the superglue coming off) then using a glove and another rag grab the ferrule and they should pull apart. This works with superglued ferrules ( which most are) but not if they've been araldited. As long as you haven't caused a hot spot it won't damage the carbon.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,