Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Zeph reframe

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:21 am

Hi guys

i am newbie and i need some advice. I have Prism Zephyr and i am thinking about lighter frame. It is builded like UL but his frame is little bit heavy. I want make it "real UL" kite. Is that possible or it is a good idea? Or is better for me buy new UL (SUL) kite?

Sorry for bad english and thanks for answer

Have a great day :-)
 
User avatar
krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: Rosmalen, The Netherlands

Re: Zeph reframe

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 am

A reframe is possible. Most of the time an UL-sail is made a bit lighter than a STD-sail, but not a big difference (for a SUL-sail there is a slightly bigger difference).
But reframing is not simple. Yes, you can just use lighter rods, but you have to adjust the weight-distribution as well. If a STD has got 5PT and P200's, your first try will be 3PT and P100's. That might work (but don't forgot how long it took till the Deepspace UL was ready!).

You now have to fly the "new" kite and decide if it is ok or not. In case the not: try something else (switch a P100 for a 3PT, adjust the bridle, adjust the weight, ...)
And that (first) part is not easy for a not so experienced flyer.



My advice would be to find yourself a nice (S)UL. Take also a look in the second-hand market!


Good luck,
Krijn
 
User avatar
Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Posts: 5754
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Epsom Downs, near the red cross.

Re: Zeph reframe

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:50 pm

It's already framed in P100's and 3pt's, you can go lighter but the cost will be significant for little benefit, better to get either a new SUL or a new sail and rods for that.

Also light wind flying is as much about technique as equipment, the more you practice the better you get :wink:
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Many thanks for your answers guys. Better and less complicated for me will be purchase of some new true UL or SUL. I am thinking about http://www.bilboquetsport.com/adxs-supe ... 25128.html What do you think about this one ? Or can you recommend me some ?
 
User avatar
KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 5:28 am

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:13 am

The ADX is a smaller wingspan than the Prism Zephyr. Smaller kites tend to be quicker than larger kites and they tend to need more wind. If you really like the Air One range, you might want to consider the Cosmos instead. It is larger than the ADX, nearly the same wingspan as the Zephyr, and comes in UL and SUL variants for pretty much the same price.

Keep in mind that SULs have less robust spars than their corresponding ULs. With a SUL you will get a noticeable benefit at the lower wind range, but even the slightest unplanned stress on the spars can result in breakage.

If you want a UL or SUL in a more widely recognized European brand, Level One and R-Sky each have excellent kites you could consider
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia
 
User avatar
Flying Fish
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:38 am

Or Tim Benson's Inner Space ...
 
User avatar
honchoboy
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 pm
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am

I always immediately think of a Talon UL when this topic pops up ,but a SUL kite you don't often see talked about is the Jumping Jack Flash by Level One. I picked one up 2nd hand for a very cheap price and was not expecting to much from it. However, IMO i was wrong to judge it so early before putting a few hours on it.

It is a sweet kite to fly, pretty tricky, and has yet to break on me. 540's are a give away (if i remember it was this kite that I learnt it on) and it has sublime rising Jacobs ladders, and flic flacs. A Stable fade that will hold until you decide to move and doesn't seem to overly panic if the wind picks up a bit. I don't like the printed 'man' graphic on it and yoyo's take a bit od practice to get into but for the price I paid I can easily live with that.

If I lost it or had it stolen I would hunt high and low for another.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18
 
User avatar
harveystubbs
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:12 pm

The zeph weighs about 300 grams. If I re-framed this I reckon I could lose about 30 grams which makes still 30 grams heavier than a Talon ul or DS ul.

I would almost consider going the other way and swapping the lower spreaders for nitros which also stiffens the kite up nicely for almost no weight gain. The bridle is also set heavy on the zeph, take about 1/2 inch out of the upper out haul and it will fly better. I have made these changes to my zeph and it makes a lot of difference for about £30 and next to no bother.

Then you can use this as your std and buy an sul/ ul separately :cool:

I have recently had the same issues with my operas and have re-framed all 4. It takes a while and you need to know what you are doing
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:46 pm

honchoboy wrote:
I always immediately think of a Talon UL when this topic pops up ,but a SUL kite you don't often see talked about is the Jumping Jack Flash by Level One. I picked one up 2nd hand for a very cheap price and was not expecting to much from it. However, IMO i was wrong to judge it so early before putting a few hours on it.

It is a sweet kite to fly, pretty tricky, and has yet to break on me. 540's are a give away (if i remember it was this kite that I learnt it on) and it has sublime rising Jacobs ladders, and flic flacs. A Stable fade that will hold until you decide to move and doesn't seem to overly panic if the wind picks up a bit. I don't like the printed 'man' graphic on it and yoyo's take a bit od practice to get into but for the price I paid I can easily live with that.

If I lost it or had it stolen I would hunt high and low for another.




" I don't like the printed 'man' graphic on it " I have the same "problem" with design. Without that midget on wing it is a really good looking kite :-)
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:52 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
The zeph weighs about 300 grams. If I re-framed this I reckon I could lose about 30 grams which makes still 30 grams heavier than a Talon ul or DS ul.

I would almost consider going the other way and swapping the lower spreaders for nitros which also stiffens the kite up nicely for almost no weight gain. The bridle is also set heavy on the zeph, take about 1/2 inch out of the upper out haul and it will fly better. I have made these changes to my zeph and it makes a lot of difference for about £30 and next to no bother.

Then you can use this as your std and buy an sul/ ul separately :cool:

I have recently had the same issues with my operas and have re-framed all 4. It takes a while and you need to know what you are doing





I am kite noob, so better for me will be don´t touch the bridle :-D
 
User avatar
harveystubbs
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Zeph reframe

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Dafoe wrote:
harveystubbs wrote:
The zeph weighs about 300 grams. If I re-framed this I reckon I could lose about 30 grams which makes still 30 grams heavier than a Talon ul or DS ul.

I would almost consider going the other way and swapping the lower spreaders for nitros which also stiffens the kite up nicely for almost no weight gain. The bridle is also set heavy on the zeph, take about 1/2 inch out of the upper out haul and it will fly better. I have made these changes to my zeph and it makes a lot of difference for about £30 and next to no bother.

Then you can use this as your std and buy an sul/ ul separately :cool:

I have recently had the same issues with my operas and have re-framed all 4. It takes a while and you need to know what you are doing



I am kite noob, so better for me will be don´t touch the bridle :-D


And yet you were considering a complete reframe :roll:

What I am suggesting is simple
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:55 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
Dafoe wrote:
harveystubbs wrote:
The zeph weighs about 300 grams. If I re-framed this I reckon I could lose about 30 grams which makes still 30 grams heavier than a Talon ul or DS ul.

I would almost consider going the other way and swapping the lower spreaders for nitros which also stiffens the kite up nicely for almost no weight gain. The bridle is also set heavy on the zeph, take about 1/2 inch out of the upper out haul and it will fly better. I have made these changes to my zeph and it makes a lot of difference for about £30 and next to no bother.

Then you can use this as your std and buy an sul/ ul separately :cool:

I have recently had the same issues with my operas and have re-framed all 4. It takes a while and you need to know what you are doing



I am kite noob, so better for me will be don´t touch the bridle :-D


And yet you were considering a complete reframe :roll:

What I am suggesting is simple




When i want reframe it, i´ll give me kite to somebody who can do it well, of course. :-)
 
User avatar
fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:18 am
Location: Under A Bridge
Contact:

Re: Zeph reframe

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:28 am

I'd just buy a Benson Deep Space UL from Tim

http://bensonkites.com/kites/deepspace_ul.html

I can fly down to almost SUL conditions, simply remove upper spreader and tail weight and/or use a short (30 ft or less) lineset.

Its pretty robust and tolerant of hardish landings and it'll do most any trick you want to throw at it.

And - the build quality is of course the very best in the business.

-Frazer
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:51 pm

fworley wrote:
I'd just buy a Benson Deep Space UL from Tim

http://bensonkites.com/kites/deepspace_ul.html

I can fly down to almost SUL conditions, simply remove upper spreader and tail weight and/or use a short (30 ft or less) lineset.

Its pretty robust and tolerant of hardish landings and it'll do most any trick you want to throw at it.

And - the build quality is of course the very best in the business.

-Frazer



Maybe i´ll try :-)
 
User avatar
Dafoe
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm
Location: Czech republic

Re: Zeph reframe

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Thank you very much for your answers guys. I very appreciate it. Have a great day and fly :-)