Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Crafter
Topic Author

Nazko Mutant UL Build.

Sat May 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Yes I know it`s a bit of a title ;) but I didn`t know what else to call it!

What I am aiming for is something verging on the SUL range (close to or under 200g for a 2.2m span) but not so fragile that I crack a spar everytime I mis-input or have an uncoordinated landing!
The last Nazko .85 I built came in at 240g and I`ve just come back from flying it in very low wind (1-6mph) but was struggling to trick it when the wind dropped to 1-2mph so I`ve decided to build another .85 and try to pare it down to the target weight of 200g.

I`ve changed the panel design to make the best use of the Icarex I have left from previous builds, example I had just enough dark grey for two panels, limited black but loads of white so i`ve mix them up to get the sail all Icarex.
Trailing and leading edges will be of 42gsm Ripstop with the area over the APA`s double layered.
Nose will have a 42gsm ripstop nosebag with Dacron where the Cordura is normally used.
Stand-off re-inf are dacron on the backside and 42gsm on the front (same as my previous builds).

It will have a single stand-off :shock: and I have no idea how this will work :wink: I can but try.

Leading edges P90, spine P1X, 5mm upper spreader and either 3pt lowers or straight Easton Lightspeed sticks that I have, this all depends on which are lighter when I get around to taking off the APA 200`s from the first Nazko spreaders and weight a cut to length spreader.
As I hinted above I want a fairly strong UL/SUL and that is the reason for my choice of lowers and not simply go for 2pt (besides...I`ve not got/seen/touched any 2pt before...it may well be very strong.

It will be interesting to see what I can get this thing to tip the scale at and more so to see how it flys. :-D

So the basic sail, all Icarex and sewn together using what has fast become my all time favourite stitch ...the 3 point exploding heart...er..zig-zag :wink:
Next are all the ancillaries such as trailing/leading edges, spine re-inf etc before I finally decide on the framing options.

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2341_zpskuivenrb.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

kareloh

Re: Nazko Mutant UL Build.

Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Nice! Your p90/p100 and 3pt frame choice sound very good. I've set up my Vendetta SUL and Magnet 112% like that and i really like the balance.
Extra light doesn't mean extra good. You need some mass for tricks.

Crafter
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks Kareloh,

I do prefer some strength in the spine and lowers as well as some mass, I think any kite needs a bit of momentum to get it to complete a trick and I`d prefer to get that from the framing rather than tail ballast (although this will have...10g to start with? still working on that :? .)

This will be a completely new build/design for me, changing specs/sail design and framing, I`ve no doubt it will look the part....the interesting bit will be flying it :-D

Hey but it`s much more fun this way. :D

Crafter
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Well I`ve just finished it today and although it`s sunny it is also blowing 12 gusting to 18mph so I`ll have to wait to test it.

Again I`m happy with the build and more than happy with the final weight of 190g. for a span of 2.2m :-D
I was aiming for 200g or there abouts but I wasn`t particularly pedantic about it. I used some light Cordura for the nose instead of Dacron for durability but did concede to using Ripstop as the leading edge to shave some weight off the sail.

Framing is P90 Upper and Lower LE`s with hollow ferrules. P1X spine, 5mm Upper Spreader and 3PT Lowers with a single 3mm carbon stand-off per side (set at the inner most of 3 options at the moment.
Bridle is 35kg Climax with 50kg sheathed leaders and I have a 12g wieght in the tail.

So some pics of the finished Nazko Mutant Ul/SUL (and I must think of a better name! :wink: )

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2347_zpsqbkd6ua1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2351_zpsxofsrif5.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2354_zpssffkpnzt.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2357_zpsu8sg2p7l.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Thanks for looking :-)

kareloh

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 pm

great stuff!

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:30 am

Looks Great!

Mike

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Nice 8)

Crafter
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for the kind comments guys :-D

I`m by no means an expert but do tend to be a bit OCD with anything I build so that helps.

I did manage to get an hour on it last night, zero to 2-3mph winds and again running backwards bloody fast helps!

It was a bit too turtle happy (by that I mean staying locked in deep) so today I have moved the stand-offs out 25mm to what I consider the "Middle" position having been set "Innermost") and hope this will make the transitions easier.
And despite the SUL/UL design I`m going to increase the tail weight from 12g to 17g as i found it hard to roll in the non-existant wind.

Of course this might all be totally wrong but I`m a far better builder than flyer so I`ll justify it that way :wink: