Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Crafter
Topic Author

Nazganic

Mon May 04, 2015 4:47 pm

;)

So my final project for a while is the "Nazganic" :D

Rather than explain what I`m after I`ll just copy and paste my thoughts from my Organic build to give an outline of what I hope to achieve.............

"Now I`ve got a couple under my belt I`ve finalised my design for the Nazko/Organic hybrid and have decided to keep the panel design simple as (although I`m a "Visual" person in the design sense) I am interested in how a hybrid of the two will fly.
The Nazko LW .85 I built was really smooth and gracefull without being slow, still hav`nt got enough hours on it or the experience to compare it to other LW kites but....it is a joy to fly and that`s what matters.
My aim is for something a bit more "reactive" without being mental and twitchy and my ideal wind window would be 4-10mph, just below the Std range (as advertised :wink: ) but not into SUL territory.
Aiming for the same span or there abouts, slightly less sail area than the Organic but a bit more than the Nazko .85 and around 240-260g in all in weight."

Those thoughts have been backed up today while flying my recently built L`Organic and the Nazko .85 vented!

Conditions were ideal if you like a sunny afternoon with a breeze that fluctuated from 2-3mph to 14 plus mph but those are the breaks with inland flying I guess :roll: Nothing steady or consistent but a range that would suit every kite ever built if you could swap quick enough!
It didn`t spoil my fun and after some tweeking of the bridle I found the L`organic exactly as posted by other builders, it`s a bloody pitch and Yo-yo machine! Which would have been wonderful if I had fitted the Yo-yo stoppers! :lol: but being as I didn`t the lines were constantly sliding down the LE and I missed a lot of chances to impress myself and the crowd of Rooks and odd Buzzard looking on.
I did find it slow to react even after moving the inhaul in but I`m willing to sacrifice this part of the performance for the abilty to yo-yo just by looking at it! Pleased I built it and the stoppers ( S-fly style meaning Grommets rather than APA stand-offs) are going on tonight!

The wind, as mentioned was non-consistent, by that I don`t mean gusty but sometimes steady light and then picking up for half hour or so, and I thought I`d try my Vented Nazko .85, never expecting it to fly...
Wow! The bugger only flew great :D never tested or flown before as I didn`t deem the wind high enough this experiment was just for a laugh.
I`ll re-iterate, it is framed in arrow shafts (easton powerflight but I`ll give the equivilant in weight to compare with Skyshark).
Spine (P400) L Spreaders (P300) LE (P200) U Spreader 6mm and 20g in the tail but the whole thing weights in at 270g! and I did profess my concern that my vented kite might be too light in another post.
But this thing rocks! :lol:
It spins inside out! The turning radius is tighter than the wingspan and side slides like a ghost, yet it just gives away multi-lazies and JL`s, holds a good fade and a rising turtle so not all has been sacrificed for pure pitch.
In fact I`m a bit gob smacked :shock:

So much in fact that I`m consider framing the Nazganic in non-tapered lower spreaders (P200) and saving the 5PT for another build.
I`m also moving the stand-offs closer to the Nazko spec than the Organic.

The sail is finished and it is a hybrid of the two outer dimensions but with my own panel design so I have a bit of thinking to do about framing and bridle.
[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2318_zpsgxgxqrxu.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Crafter
Topic Author

Re: Nazganic

Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Well it`s finished but unflown as yet due to the weather conditions and things like work getting in the way of having fun ;)
I`ll get some pics of it against the light as the panel layout again looks darker than it actually is.
I used the same "Icarex" as the Nazko .85 LW for the Black leading edges followed by Dark Grey,White, and Sky Blue in fact it all "Icarex" construction apart from the deep royal blue accent which is 42gsm.

I decided to run with the 5PT L spreaders as I can swap them out later for non-tapered and see what effect that has.

Framing is
Leading edges (Easton Lightspeed (P100 equivilent))
Spine Easton Powerflight (P300 equivilent)
L Spreader 5PT
U Spreader 5.5mm
Stand-offs 3mm
APA fittings.

Span 2.3m Weight 260g.
[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2325_zps6nrkbbj7.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

And it looks like I forgot the Yo-yo stoppers again! I`ll fit them before I test fly :oops:

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Looks very nice, although normally P100 LE's would be for an UL so 3PT's or P200 would work better for spreaders.

Crafter
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2015 4:58 pm

I get what you are saying Craig but this weights in at 260g including 15g in the tail so it`s sort of Light without being Ultra ;)

5 PT is 15.0g and P200 is 14.5g so the weight difference is not important however I will experiment with the tapered vs non-tapered spreaders as I have a couple of P200 sticks ready to fit, I just thought I`d try it with the 5PT`s first.

Wasn`t there an R-Sky kite that had weird framing? Sort of Ultra light top end and heavy bottom!

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 07, 2015 8:41 pm

Looks good. Are you putting a wear patch for the US on this kite? It will rub through pretty quickly. Couple of makers have had the bottom heavy configuration. Trying to weight the kite naturally instead of ballast. Obviously this kite is an experimental for you, so have fun and fly it with the others. Probably change over time but it is great that your trying out your ideas in a practical fashion. :)

Mike

Crafter
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi Mike,

The wear patch for the U spreader is already on :-D I`ve used two layers of McNett Tenacious Tape (clear matt finish) on all my builds so far, that way i can monitor the wear and replace as needed without sewing anything :-D

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 08, 2015 6:56 am

McNett Tenacious Tape..... what a great name.

Mike

Harvey1

Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 am

Just a quick question, how much is it costing to build the kite (average) , as I like the idea of building my kite to try out, but am worried about kites that I get wrong (non flyers) hitting my pocket hard!

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Harvey,

I`ve worked out it costs me approx £80 for the first kite and less for another two as the sail material I buy is 1.5m x 1.0m and I buy three different colours, this is enough for three sails depending on the pattern design.

As a note I`ve done a lot of research of various arrow shafts and use these for non-tapered spars.

Harvey1

Fri May 08, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you, and keep up the good work, you've kept me excited to read the next chapter in your journey of kite building. Thanks again and look forward reading your future endeavours. You've given me alot to ponder on.

kareloh

Fri May 08, 2015 10:22 am

Great build! Looks stunning.

I think the framing setup should work rather well.

Crafter
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:11 pm

A rather late reply to Harvey1 but it might be relevant to other builders as well.

After a few builds I`ve found that I have built quite a few variations of the same model, EG Sixth Sense or Organic etc. This is because of wind range rather than "I can improve this design"!

My advice to anyone thinking of building any of the available free source kites kindly hosted by various people is ...go for it!
Stick to one design, finish it and if you are not happy with your sewing or plan or colour choice....sew another sail!
The material is cheap enough in the grand scheme of things and you will have Icarex and Ripstop left over from build one and will only need to suppliment things like seam tape/glue or maybe another square metre of fabric.
I`ve found the biggest expense is the framing aspect.

If you stay with the same design you have spars cut to length, connectors to hand and framing ready to transplant into your crispy new sail pattern :-) It cuts down the cost no end.
I have swapped 5PT for 3PT, leading edges and spreaders between different kites of the SAME design just to see what works best rather than buy new spars. Makes sense?

So yes...it can be expensive if you frame every sail in the same spec... but if you make a mistake in the sail construction and the thing is staring you in the face every time you set-up....and you can`t ignore it from 80ft away....then it is cheap enough to make a new sail and re-use frames :-)
Unless you break a spar you have infinite possibilites for sail pattern design :-)

JohnE

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 am

Hi Crafter,

Getting hold of Skyshark spars in the UK seems to be getting more and more difficult, so I am very interested in your use of the Easton arrow shafts.

As far as I can see they come in 32" lengths. So, for the LE, how did you join them - internal or external ferrules ? and what size did you need.

Are the arrow shafts like the Skyshark P series - all the same internal diameter ?

Are they wrapped carbon ?

Have they stood the test of time - any breakages ?

JohnE Boy

Crafter
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 am

Hi John.

First a note about arrow shafts:

The first number (500 or 400 or 340) is the arrows deflection over a set length (2ft) with a set weight.
The HIGHER the number the LIGHTER the shaft as it has more deflection therefore is of lighter or thinner construction.
There is no set diameter! Some are fatter than others and some are thinner (Carbon Express Medallion 900 is 5.8mm outer diameter for example) depending on the purpose or bow draw weight.

They are almost all marked in weight as well.
This will be a figure in GPI (grains per inch) and is a good way to translate the shafts weight into an equivilent to Skyshark P numbers.

EG Easton Powerflight 500.........has .500" deflection over 2ft with 2llb (I believe) weight in the middle and weights 7.3gpi.
And so on....Powerflight 400 is marked at 8.3gpi, Powerflight 340 is marked at 9.4gpi.
Easton Lightspeed 500 still has 0.500" deflection but is marked at 6.5gpi because of a stiffer modulus carbon (or a different weave, I hav`nt dissected one yet to work out why :? )

For most of my applications I use Easton Powerflight 500/400shafts as an alternative to P200/300 and Easton Lightspeed 500 in place of P100.

I order them in uncut lengths which for the 500 comes in at 30.5" (the arrow nock makes it up to 32") so not quite the full 32" of Skyshark (just so you are aware) but different weights in gpi will vary in uncut length so check!

Easton Powerflight is 7.2mm od and 6.2mm id and I use internal ferrules as per Skyshark.

They are wrapped hi modulus C2 carbon :-D

If you extended the length to a full 32" then...
500 weights 15.1g
400 " " " 17.3g
Easton Lightspeed 500 weights 13.6g but diameters are similar.

Oh and they are tough! I`ve read the reviews on archery forums and it takes a lot to shatter them. How that applies to a side force such as a hard tip stand I`m not sure but I hav`nt broke a shaft yet and have had some pretty hard high wind spills! :shock:

As I say I use these as an alternative to P100/200/300 Skyshark in some applications and am not advocating the product.
I prefer to use Skyshark when I need something lighter and always for the tapered lower spreaders, so I`m posting this for your information and accept no liability for any damage caused to any of your sails should a spar break :-(