Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Crafter
Topic Author

L`Organic build

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:55 pm

So as I mentioned in my last post on the Nazko build thread, my third build will be the L`Organic by C. Derefat.

I won`t go into too much detail about the construction as I`ve covered that in the other thread so this will just be a few pics of the progress and some of the final finished kite :)

So the sail almost finished as I`m waiting for some Dacron for the leading edge, I ran out but had enough to do the spine, small nosebag and the back of the stand-offs (the front of the stand-off re-inf is black 42gsm ripstop as is the trailing edge).

I`ve mixed materials again :-D
The Black centre and very tips are 42gsm, the Royal Blue outer centre is 42gsm, the White, Dark Grey and Sky Blue is "Icarex" so looking at the panels I guess this kite uses more "Icarex" than not :) and will be framed along the Std lines of L Edges/ Easton 500 (P200 equivilent), Spine/ Easton 400 (P300 equivilent), U Spreader/ 6mm pultruded, L Spreaders/ Skyshark 5PT and all fittings APA of course.

Going to be a week or so until I can finish and test it as I`ll be waiting for the sticks and connectors so I might have a go at doing my own design of kite in the mean time using a "known" sail design such as L`organic or Nazko (or maybe combine both to make a Nazganic!! :D :lol: ) and designing the panels direct onto the outline.

Hmmm won`t let me upload as it said "the board attachments quota has been reached"? so I`ll post this anyway and try again later via edit :?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: L`Organic build

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am

Good luck with the new project, would be great to see some pics.

Crafter wrote:
Hmmm won`t let me upload as it said "the board attachments quota has been reached"? so I`ll post this anyway and try again later via edit :?

I use Photobucket and link the pictures from there. Sadly there's a limit to how much we can host locally!

Crafter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:43 pm

[img][IMG]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww251/peteh11/DSCN2295_zpstboez0mf.jpg[/img][/img]

Thanks Craig :)

I`ve just signed up to Bucket so will try a link now.

I may not even get around to completing this kite (although I will finish the sail :) ) as I already started my "Nazganic" project.

I`ve placed both the Nazko and L`organic outlines over each other and came up with a "Hybrid" outline. Not as mad as it sounds as there are only subtle differences between the two, for example the Nazko is 5cm shorter in the spine and width but remember this is not full size anyway and is the outline from my .85 builds.
The difference in the upper APA positions is within 1cm plus a lot of other subtleties but it will be fun to see what happens ;)

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Almost, all you need is this part of the link:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww25 ... oez0mf.jpg with it inserted between these: [img]here[/img]

And it should look like this:

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm

The L Organic is a great fun trickster and will fly in a lot of breeze. The blue looks very smart.

Mike

Crafter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Thanks again Craig, I used the Image part of Bucket but will get the hang of it, I did post between the "Img" tags for the forum as it didn`t accept a direct "URL" link.

Coogee, again I think it will look better against the sky as only the centre is 42gsm (and the very tips) the rest being "Icarex" so should be a bit more translucent than this pic shows with it on the floor.
My view of it now it`s sewn together is there is a bit too much blue as I`m more of your Mono-chrome type person with just highlights of colour but I`ve put the man-hours in now so will frame it up :) I`ve read some good reviews of it`s performance :-D

Crafter
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:26 pm

So it`s finished and I`m more than happy with the result, although I hav`nt had the conditions to fly it today as the wind was non-existant to 4mph at most and this is built to light Std spec meaning:

Mostly "Icarex" with P300 weight spine, P200 leading edges, 6mm upper and 5PT lower spreaders.
Span 2.34m (7`6") and all in weight inc 20g in the tail is 270g.

The Sky Blue wing panels are translucent and don`t look as dark when held up to the light so there is a nice contrast between the wings and the 42gsm black and royal blue centre as I worried about the whole effect being too blue :wink:

My final project (for a while at least ;) ) will be the "Nazganic" :D as I mentioned before so I will start a new thread and try to get some of these builds in the air and actually get some flying done!

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2299_zpsts3yg8pr.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2302_zpsvlbyoevz.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Thant looks great, very well done, the L`Organic is a blast you'll enjoy it.

Crafter
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks Craig,

It was an experience making it and I could have opted for the other panel option with straighter lines but thought I ought to hone my seamstress skills and try something with curves on her ;-)
I hav`nt had the conditions to fly her but reading through the forums and posts it seems a well sorted design and will probably out-fly me :D

Now I`ve got a couple under my belt I`ve finalised my design for the Nazko/Organic hybrid and have decided to keep the panel design simple as (although I`m a "Visual" person in the design sense) I am interested in how a hybrid of the two will fly.
The Nazko LW .85 I built was really smooth and gracefull without being slow, still hav`nt got enough hours on it or the experience to compare it to other LW kites but....it is a joy to fly and that`s what matters.
My aim is for something a bit more "reactive" without being mental and twitchy and my ideal wind window would be 4-10mph, just below the Std range (as advertised :wink: ) but not into SUL territory.
Aiming for the same span or there abouts, slightly less sail area than the Organic but a bit more than the Nazko .85 and around 240-260g in all in weight.
I`ll build it an see what happens :D

tommyb23

Sun May 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Awsome build guy, blows my mind!
If fact, would you build one for me, and what would the price be? compared to buying a kite from online store?

edit : ok nevermind, i just watched that video on that tweelinjers website. what alot of work! to do alone! I'd never do that for someone on the other side of the planet who I didn't know at all.
:)

Crafter
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

Hi Tommy, and thanks for the compliment :D

But you have answered your own question there, besides as a lot of guys on here will tell you (and I`ve only just learned) it is more a labour of love building kites such as these.
It takes me up to two weeks to build one and much as I`d like to build a few on request it wouldn`t be viable plus, hand on heart, I don`t think I`m up to standard with just a couple of builds under my belt. I can live with the small imperfections such as a dropped stitch here and there but charging someone good money for something less than perfect? Hmmm I couldn`t do it.

After my next project a " Nazganic" ;) I`ll be taking a break from building for a while anyway and get some air-time!

tommyb23

Tue May 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes Im with you.
I can't find any decent dual line trick kites from any of the few South African kite shops. the best kite on offer from a SA Dealer is this http://www.hiflykites.co.za/kite-online ... s-pro.html
I bought one and was a huge let down. its made by topkite a division of topfair toys. in china. crap build quality, the centre T broke on first flight, soon to follow by the spine popping through the nose, not easy to trick. decided to take it apart for parts to use on my Air-Crafts Hat Trick. even the hat trick setup badly is way better ..
anyhoodle .. ill buy from international online kite shop....

enjoy your kite!
cheers

Crafter
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Just had a look at their website and the ranges and quality does seem poor. :(

I`ll bear that in mind next time I`m in SA and bring my own kite! I still have a guitar I left on purpose in Jozi for when I visit next (been over 7 times in the past 2 years, love the country :D )

Have you looked at buying from abroad?

tommyb23

Thu May 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Buying abroad is a must I'm afraid, Parts as well. Overwhelmed with choice, My mother is currently in the UK , Wolverhampton. Think I'll ask her to pick me up a Benson :) Superfly perhaps.
cheers man try come to the Cape sometime, just not between november and march. South Easter dominates, extremely rude wind for stunt kites. It disgusts me.

Crafter
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2015 10:29 pm

I was in CT last Easter :-D and even then it was blowing! Too much to do the tourist thing up to Table Mountain so drove up Signal hill then over the Nek and went for a beer in Camps bay :wink: