Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Nazko .85 Projects

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:50 am

It's always interesting to hear about different assembly techniques. Some sound thinking used there, Crafter!
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

Harvey1

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:22 am

This is real good reading, need more!!!!!
Thank you for sharing this experience with us, and keep it up please

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Well I`ve got all the seams sewed up and both sides stitched together.

The stand-off re-inforcements are sewn on, I like to do this before I fit the trailing edge as I think it makes for a cleaner look and dosn`t give the bridle anything to catch when sliding along the trailing edge, it`s just a personal preference and I`ve no evidence that folding the stand-offs over the trailing edge is any better or worse :)
They are Dacron on the top surface for toughness and ripstop on the bottom (the facing surface) just for looks and that is something you can`t do if folding. ;)

I`ve fitted a small Dacron nose bag just to accomadate the spine, the main support comes from the leading edges and then the Cordura nose to cover it all.

The Dacron centre re-inforcement isn`t sewn on yet as next it`s the trailing edge but I`ve just layed it on there to eyeball it.

It`s a grey crappy day so apologies for the bad light on the pic and thanks guys for the encouragement and positive remarks :D

Edit: forgot to mention the fabrics!

The dark grey upper panel (leading edge) is "Icarex" with the black wing tips being 42gsm ripstop.
The light grey centre stripe is 42gsm ripstop as is the blue flash.
The white centre and trailing edge panels are "Icarex"

The trailing edges will be a ribbon cut from the black 42gsm ripstop and the leading edges Dacron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 pm

That looks good.

Interesting to use different materials in the one sail.

Mike

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Well it`s not unheard of Mike, I have a couple of kites that mix Icarex with Mylar panels and I would have liked a few of the sections (the upper light grey panel for example) to be Mylar but couldn`t source any, even going to France at £20 a metre they were out of stock.

Second reason is cost, it`s only my third build and still find it hard to warrent £18 a metre for "genuine" Icarex (as opposed to the 35gsm fabric from China which actually feels quite good!) plus I like the idea of a stronger "seam" of 42gsm running down the center where the stand-offs put a strain on the sail from the nose down to the trailing edge.

Third is appearance, I like the transparent effect the "Icarex" gives over the 42gsm stuff, the leading edge panels "look" a similar shade of black but hold them up to the light and they change with the tips being much more solid...I`ll take better pics as it progresses and try to show what I mean.

Basically I`m "winging it" :D with a rebuilt £35 sewing machine from Fleabay, some fabric,cardboard and sticky tape. ;) and just building what i think looks good. :D :D

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 pm

So my internet has been down for the past few days but I`ve finished and flown the second Nazko.
This one is more oriented towards low wind with more use of "Icarex" and light framing.
Spine P1X, leading edges Lightspeed 500 (equivilent to P100 in weight but less deflection) 3pt lower spreader and 5mm upper spreader.
Span 2.2m, all in weight with 12g in the tail is 240g.

It flew beautifully straight out the homemade bag :) but again conditions were not ideal with long periods of zero wind followed by 5mins of 4mph!
It does need some adjustment, maybe slightly less tail weight although I like the pitchyness of it and the leachlines need tightening as I noticed a buzz from the trailing edge when the wind actually blew enough for me to attempt anything!
I`m more than happy with it though, my sewing has come on in leaps and bounds with nice straight seams equi-distant from the edges and millimetre perfect cutting of the panels.

So I`ll leave you with the pics and have just started building a L`organic to practice my sewing on something that hasn`t got a straight edge on it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:14 pm

That looks great, very well done =D>

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks Craig, it actually looks better in the "flesh" and against the light, I was surprised at how dark the Upper leading edge "icarex" looked compared to the black 42gsm ripstop at the tips, almost looks the same colour until you get the "stained glass" effect when it`s in the air.

I`m going to use the same effect of different material on the next build (L`Organic) with a dark centre fading to lighter and black tips just to help visuals when flying.

Performance-wise......I think I`ve built something more capable than my current skill level :-D but I didn`t design it so full credits to the designers.

But it is pretty :mrgreen:

Palmahnic

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Looks very nice, especially the faded gray upper panels, that change in the light. Well done.
Thank you kindly,
Iftah.