Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Crafter
Topic Author

Re: Eolo Genesis facsimile build.

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 pm

And Mike,

I`ve just been out again today but still too much wind for the little Eolo and all my other stock ( I seem to aquire UL`s and low wind kites due to my inland location) so along with the Nazko UL I`m building a Nazko vented at the same time :D

Same scale (85%) but will be using a different frame set, heavier material (42gsm) and venting the centre.
I`ll post pics of the builds in a new thread as all I`ve done today is experiment with templates and the vent slot positions.

Crafter
Topic Author

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Well I finally got the chance to test the build today :-D

Not ideal conditions being an inlander and the winds were 0 "gusting" to 4mph but it was a lovely day and after watching the solar eclipse this morning really needed to try and get something in the air.
I could have flown the modded Shadow but decided to test the build against the original Eolo so...

The original would not fly as the winds were too low....well it would take off and then I ran out of field running backwards :shock:
I did manage to get it high enough for an axle but really it was a non-starter so thought it a perfect time to test the build.

At first I thought it was the same syndrome, however it hovered in a stall after a promising rise so obviously the bridle setting was tweaked moving the prussic up 1cm, better and it actually flew "nicely" with absolutely no pull on the lines at all and any tricks attempted meant a manic run backward for recovery. When the wind did gust up to 4mph the turning radius was terrible for a small kite so I moved the inhaul to shorten it, this buggered the turtle somewhat as the bridle was not wide enough but made axles beautiful :-)
Sacrificing the turtle the axle to fade just did not happen, it would attempt but not complete so I increased the tail weight from 3 to 6 grams and Bam! It flipped lovely and held the fade, even rising until I rolled out.

That was as far as I could go testing but my impression of my first build....It is "softer" than the original meaning it is the same speed in turns for less wind but with no pull, the parachute ripstop "gives" more and despite identical framing there is a distinct difference in feel.
It will genuinely fly better in lower wind than the original but at the sacrifice of "crispness" of feel and definately pull (for a small kite) and inputs have to be surprising large and non-delicate to get any positive response.

Maybe some of this can be tuned out, in fact I`ve just finished modding the bridle, but my thoughts are the material has too much give for immediate response but it will always be something that I take out in zero to a couple of mph winds to spank around! knowing that little damage can occur.
I`ll try it in higher winds when we get some, the "give" in the material might help it feel smoother in gusts and absorb impact from the wind stretching the limit of the 4mm pultruded higher than the standard. :-D
It MIGHT be better at both the top and bottom of the wind range than the original.......but...for a freestyle trick kite it`s always going to feel "softer" hmmmmmm.

If I had bought it for £50... I would have been more than happy with the lil kite.

Being as it`s the first kite of any type I`ve ever built....I`m bloody chuffed with it!!!!! :D

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Thumbs up!

Mike

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Crafter wrote:

Being as it`s the first kite of any type I`ve ever built....I`m bloody chuffed with it!!!!! :D

Very well done =D>

One day I'll attempt to make one......................... :?

711jrp

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:40 am

Come to Basingstoke,They run classes....
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Crafter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks Craig :-D

711jrp... I got all the info from the interweb but I admit there were times I was stuck and having a mentor would have helped.

Having built this and knowing it flys well I`m confident enough to move onto the next projects (plural) which will be a pair of Nazko scale downs (like the smaller kites :-D )
Both at 85% of the published plans, one UL using Icarex and a mix of Easton arrow shafts and Skyshark tapered sticks and the second being a vented Mental wind kite ;) using Chikara and Easton only (no tapered spreaders).

The reason for Chikara (nylon) over another Polyester version is purely the "give" in the sail.
The reason for straight sticks is Archery has moved on and the shafts you can buy nowdays are much more technical than anything in the past but (as the nature of Archery) are always arrow straight! :D
Skyshark PT still has it`s place but on a Mental wind kite I have a feeling that tip "washout" might not be an issue so will opt for straight sticks throughout.

Ive just bought (from a popular auction site....others are available) a Frister + Rossman machine that can do the pre-requisite 3 step zig-zag (plus a few others) and finished servicing it ( remarkably similar to an automatic scooter and believe or not I held the World Record for a drag scooter from 2009 so know a few things about drive belts and bearing surfaces ;-) ) and it is now ready to sew so I`ll put a new post on the build section......although there are only a certain amount of pictures that will interest people as the formula for kite building is much the same.
The Devil is in the detail I suppose?

I`ll post it anyway and thanks for reading :D

711jrp

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:13 pm

I was pulling Craigs leg, was talking about the the kids make a kite out of a carrier bag class they run at festivals. The nazco is a good plan flown a few of them,good luck.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 pm

711jrp wrote:
I was pulling Craigs leg, was talking about the the kids make a kite out of a carrier bag class they run at festivals.

And that'd be about my level Pete, as well you know!