Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

tommyb23
Topic Author

Air-Crafts Kite restoration

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:04 am

Hi all. Im trying to restore this kite I picked up from a friend. Id like to know what model it is . its made by Air-Crafts.
No clue on how long the upper and lower spreaders and stand-offs must be. I got the kite it was only the sail and Im not sure that ive fitted the correct lenths of parts.
Does it look like it should. It flies ok . at first it turned like a ship and didn't have much lift. but ive made some changes to the lenths of the poles now it seems ok.
but still I don't know how its supposed to fly as I don't know wether its a pro stunter or what.

ive tried searching air-crafts on google but get nowhere.
please help
Thank you and kind regards
Thomas

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Air-Crafts Kite restoration

Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:12 pm

I have some old kite magazines I can look through for more info - but won't have the opportunity right now. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

tommyb23
Topic Author

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks very much man.

Ive checked Zippy8's google drive store of old catalogues etc. I believe its the kite on the front page of his air-crafts catalogue-but is not detailed in the catalogue or missing pages or something.

link to the thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11020&start=15
thanks again
and no rush
cheers

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm sure it was called a Hat-Trick, we had a few up at Epsom back in the day and I learn't to 540 on one.

tommyb23
Topic Author

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Wow that's cool thanks Craig.
so it's an old school trick capable kite?
year ?
looks like summer of 1995 http://www.kites.tug.com/Archive/kites/ ... mendations

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:44 am

Yes, definitely looks like a hat trick - good spot Craig.
I have found a couple of adverts and a short review in my collection of "KITES" magazine, plus a mention in "Kite Passion" - but no technical detail or dimensions.
I'll see if I can take pictures of the ads and review and post them here.

edit:
Ok, I used my phone to make this PDF. If I actually knew what I was doing, I might have been able to get the orientation of each page sorted out - doh!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-TrW ... sp=sharing
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Keith the last page has the dimensions @ 215cm x 104cm, so Tommy you should be able to guesstamate the length of the lower spreaders to get close to 215 wing span.

The top spreader in your pic looks way under length, not close to the rub patch.

tommyb23
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Mr Bleepy, thanks for your effort. Greatly appreciated.

Yes Craig im not happy with upper spreader. I was gonna opt for a shorter one. as it is now the bar kinda pushing against the lower edge of material cutout space folding it a bit. shorter bar? this would allow the spreader bar connectors to slide up towards the rub patch?
or no?
and will work on the lower ones as you suggested, good idea. must the stand offs be in place when doing this measurement?

thanks for the help guys
very sharp

ahh nevermind I see how a longer one will be better. the nose shouldn't have ony bends in it right? should be as flat as pos where the three poles meet.?

tommyb23
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am

I'm having difficulties here...
with longer upper spreader I can get the rub patch inline. but then the wingspan goes well over 215cm??

with only the current lower spreaders fitted the wingspan is spot on, but then if I try fit the upper spreader the one mentioned above, the lower ones pop out of place??

Im think im gonna try longer lower spreaders.
How would you guys go about matching the spreaders to the 215cm wingspan? start with upper ones or lower ones.
atm if I start assembling from the bottom the wingspan is 215cm until I try fit the upper one that lines up with rub patch that makes the lower ones pop out.

should I just disregard the specified wingspan? and work from the top to get rub patch lined up and fit longer lower spreader to suit?

gees feel like a real dork with all the questions. but so far "winging it" hasn't got me anywhere!

Flying Fish

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 pm

If it were me doing the restoration, I would start from the bottom, put the lower spreaders in (plus stand-offs) and see whether you get near the specified wing span. If so, possibly shorten the upper spreader such that it is over the rub patch and doesn't make the lower spreaders pop out.

Can the connectors for the upper spreader be moved up such that they align with the rub patch?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

Last thing you should worry about is the top spreader. The LE's look like they need to be tighter, I remember that the LE's had a good curve to them, so get them nice and tight, then do the lower spreaders to get the wing span correct.

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 am

The Hat Trick has a "trick line" from wingtip to wingtip through the tail end of the spine. This sets the wingspan, so I suggest you start there.

1. Attach a line from one wingtip through the tail end of the spine, to the other wingtip so that it restricts the wingtips to 215cm apart when the tail is located centrally between the two.

2. Place lower spreaders in the T-piece, attach the inner standoffs, then pull the lower leading edges out to intersect with the lower spreaders. Mark and cut the lower spreaders to this length. (Make sure they're the same lengths). Fortunately, the lower spreaders on the Hat Trick are straight from one side fo the kite to the other, so you don't have to allow for any curvature.

3. Fit the outer standoffs. (These ones are flexible, and shouldn't significantly alter the shape of the sail and frame)

4. Insert a length of rod into an upper spreader fitting, lay the rod across the wear patch and pull the opposite leading edge/spreader fitting until it intersects the cross spreader. Mark and cut the upper spreader to this length.

Should look like a bought one!
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

tommyb23
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks for this KaoS.
will attempt today sometime.
will revert with pics and flight experience later.
Thank you

tommyb23
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 am

Much better now. I believe it flies very close to what it should.
+ it's tougher than i thought . - went to the beach the other day. wind was perfect. alas Im a newbie pilot. almost did an axle! landed in the water. rough shoreline. i tried to pull out at first, but the sail had too much water. so all i could do was give slack and wait for the waves to bring it back to shore. kite dripped dry a bit next minute was in the air flying again.

I big thanks to all the input from the experts here. Appreciate it. still amazed that you guys where able to name the model of this kite.

thanks thanks thanks

Flying Fish

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 am

=D>

Glad it's flying again!