Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SkyRags
Topic Author

Repair/Replace SF upper bridle

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 pm

The upper leg of my bridle has worn through on my SuperFly bridle

Not too sure how it happened to be honest (wraps maybe??)

I'm kinda interested in trying to repair this myself but are there any sites that show how to retread and set a three point static bridle?

In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Repair/Replace SF upper bridle

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:34 am

A wee snippet of ripstop repair tape will do the job.

It's only the covering that's worn, the internal part will still do it's job perfectly well.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Infinitive

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 pm

As Vee says.

The inner core will last for a very long time like that - it is only the sleeving which is worn. You'll probably find that worn part perfectly overlaps with the stand-off connector on the lower spreader: it is lazy susans that do upper outhaul wear, usually.

My approach is to leave it in that condition for a couple of years, then eventually snip out offending part and knot in a new bit of the same length in the gap. Definitely no need to try to mess about replacing the whole bridle - it is a pain in the arse, you'll get paranoid that the bridle "isn't as it is meant to be" and spend loads of time fiddling rather than flying, and then it'll only wear out again, if you are flying a lot (especially on sand).
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

SkyRags
Topic Author

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:05 am

Ok cool

Thanks for the advice guys!

When it comes to replacing the portion - if I ever snip it out - what's a good type of line to use?
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

SteveC

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:13 pm

SkyRags wrote:
Ok cool

Thanks for the advice guys!

When it comes to replacing the portion - if I ever snip it out - what's a good type of line to use?

You need a good quality dyneema cored bridle line of at least 150Lb breaking strain ( I think Tim B uses 230lb) - something like Benson or Climax work well.

Retying an existing bridle isn't too bad a job to do as long as you can use a tape measue and take your time. Don't remove the whole bridle to start with, do one side at a time so you have an original to compare against. Remember to allow extra for knots - a overhand knot in a doubled over loop usually takes and extra 2cm, a knot in a single line 1cm. You can always practise on thin cord before you start on the real thing. Measure several times before you cut!

These sites will give you some ideas

http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/index.html
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,