Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Infinitive
Topic Author

SuperFly [light tail weight] + chat about reverse turbo

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 pm

For those who might be in the long haul while saving up for the SF UL.

The SF's tail weight is integrated with the leech-line nock, so it is not so easy to immediately remove this weight if the wind gets low (and you don't have an UL). I made a replacement tail nock, but with one inch of carbon to slide it into the spine, rather than four inches of brass. Combined with taking the upper spreader out, this cuts around 25 grams off the kite, allowing a little lower wind range at the price of balance, impulse and structural integrity.

The kite becomes slower to trick, kind of a little less flat, unsurprisingly more difficult to wrap, but on the whole quite good to fly. Certainly more leisurely, you can watch the kite and respond to its position, rather than the normal SF tactic of having to learn when inputs happen; the SF doesn't give much visual cue for plenty of tricks (see tazes and cometes). I thought fades would become too flat and less stable, but they are actually really very stable.

I made a small handful of these tail nock + carbon insert - if you PM me your address I'll send one out, no charge incurred. First come first served, UK only please. **out of stock** :)
Last edited by Infinitive on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

harveystubbs

Re: SuperFly [light tail weight]

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 am

I like the superfly but I still don't feel I have mastered it. I keep thinking about modifying the bridle but generally like 3 point bridles on small kites.

How does the bridle mod effect the kite? Is it worth doing? :cool:

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 am

harveystubbs wrote:
How does the bridle mod effect the kite? Is it worth doing? :cool:

Yes, better precision still as tricky.

Infinitive
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 pm

I've run out now - apologies to those who messaged me too late. If I make some more you will be first on the list.

I think for most people yes the bridle mod is an improvement. Tricks are a touch more forgiving and "softer". However, I can see why Tim n Chris left the 3 point as stock bridle; if you do have the skills / time to practice to achieve a zen-like connection with the kite, then the 3 point offers the directness needed for total control. Though I hear that the new SFs will come with the reverse turbo now. Probably best for mere mortals. But, don't expect a night/day difference: the SF will remain unleisurely, I'd reckon.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

ian muhamad

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:33 pm

I have tried both bridle. I prefer the 3point for the direct feel but with some tricks the inputs have to be spot on cause its more sensitive.

For light wind days, I make a set of 3pt BD lower spreaders and 4mm upper speaders. I use heat shrink on both end of upper spreader a brush it with CA glue once it's dry, it now fits snuggly to the connectors.

I reduce the ballast weight to about 12 or 13 grams.

Works find for me. Fly to almost SUL territory.

Oh, and for high winds change the lower spreaders to 7pt recommended by Chris himself

jaydub

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Harv,

I've only flown mine for 40 minutes since changing the bridle so it's a bit early to make a definitive statement.

The RT bridle is definitely less direct, but you adjust very quickly.

I thought it improved flat spin stuff. Tazes, slots and cascades were all much easier to time and were much flatter in their execution. I also didn't think it detracted from any of the tricks I can do.

I shan't be changing the bridle back any time soon and it's given me a good dose of motivation to go back out and get some more time on the SF.

Well worth the £10 investment (yes I am a lazy sod and got Tim to make me one :oops: )

Jon

Popeye

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Agree with Jon, I much prefer Tim's new version of the RT bridle to the 3 point and even Chris's version, It really seems make everthing a bit smoother and makes Tazes less fickle and easier to control, mine is definately staying on the kite :-)

ian muhamad

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 am

Are there 2 version of the RT?

I've tried Chris's version but not Tim's.
Anyone care to share the measurements for Tim's RT bridle, would love to give it a try.

BTW mine is Goff Superfly so it came with the original 3 point bridle.

Thank you.

Popeye

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 am

I would give Tim a shout £10 plus p&p, well worth it :-)

jaydub

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:42 am

P&P is a bit more for Ian than most of us. ;) Think he is out in Malaysia or Singapore.

ian muhamad

Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Yes, I'm from Singapore. I think till date there's only two Superfly here including mine.There were three but one was sold abroad. All are Goff's.

I don't have the fund to order the UL right now maybe if I order the UL in near future I'll ask Tim to include the spare bridle.
Right now I don't mind tying up the bridle if someone can offer me the measurements.

Thank you.

harveystubbs

Re: SuperFly [light tail weight] + chat about reverse turbo

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks to all for the help ... Bridle ordered ! :cool:

timorohn

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:02 pm

I`m not a great believer in changeing that which has been tried and tested ,and having modifyed other kite bridles and returned to as original I found that by making new top spreaders in different weights I could alter this kites flying and wind range (4-25 not enough?). I have made two new top spreaders , the original as supplied by Tim 6mm carbon @11g, my light 5p Skyshark (should have use 3p, will try at some time) @9.0g and a solid carbon @27g. These are quick and easy to change and I was surprised at the marked difference.

Infinitive
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm not sure that "wind range" means a great deal. A standard kite might not break until 25mph, but enjoyable trick kiting happens below 12mph, and sub-5mph is UL range.

Dropping 2g is fairly pointless - that is the kind of imperceptible weight change you would expect due to air moisture, a blob of mud or a couple of feet of line. When wind gets fast it doesn't help to have a heavier kite for no reason: it helps to have a stiffer kite, which is unavoidably heavier. The upper spreader doesn't contribute much to frame stiffness - lower spreaders and lower leading edges do.

Sorry to trample on your placebo effect. You could see a hypnotherapist to convince yourself that you never read this post.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am

I'd agree that the 2g change will make little difference, but going up 16g would, not sure i'd like the difference though, maybe offset against heavier tail weight in bigger winds it may well work.

If you want to lose weight in light winds lose the top spreader completely.