Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Deciding on building first Stunt Kite...

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi,

I would like to build my first stunt kite.
I must say I can sew decently. My wife just bought a really good sewing machine (Alfa Next 40) :biggrin:
My wife's mother taught me how to sew on the machine two summers ago as I built my first SLK, a classic Conyne:
(BTW, if anyone is interested in building one like this I can pass the plans if you PM me).

So, this is to tell you that not only am I feeling confident in building a kite but also I'm pretty daring since, as you can see above, I went for curved patterns on my first go 8) :biggrin:

My first doubt is which type of kite to build.
I must say I want a kite with which I can have a different experience than with my current Soul (STD) and TalonUL.
I would like something that can do almost any trick but that is also smooth and pleasing to see flying.

So I have three categories and some kites in each:

Cat1: (more usual-looking modern stunt kites)
* Asmara
* Le Quartz
* Le Virus
* Nazko

Cat2: (I love kites with old Prism-like easthetics!)
* Fusion 1
* Mirage 2
* Spike

Cat3: (don't know how to classify them :? )
* Acara (really nice in white and red wing tips)
* Thornback

So, I would appreciate help in choosing which one I go for first.
Thanks in advance!!!!
:-)

P.S. I also accept suggestions for kites not in that list :wink:
P.S.2. I was told by others to go for a "Le Quartz" but that was before I found some other kites that entered my list...
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)

SteveC

Re: Deciding on building first Stunt Kite...

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Ara,

You need to have a chat with Honchoboy - He's built a number of self builds recently including a really nice Acara and the boy is GOOD! I'm sure he can give you good advice.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Your single line kite looks great. Good luck with your stunt kite.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 pm

SteveC wrote:
Ara,

You need to have a chat with Honchoboy - He's built a number of self builds recently including a really nice Acara and the boy is GOOD! I'm sure he can give you good advice.

I know! This is precisely why I included the Acara in my list and specifically said "white with red wing tips" ;)

One of my doubts about the Acara is that it says it is more oriented to low winds... Is that so?

So, dear Honchoboy, I'm all ears and eyes.
I promise I'll be a good apprentice! O:-)

But first things first. I must be guided through the hard choice process :-)
Which one do I choose... :-|

Cheers,

N.
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I have had the pleasure of flying HBs latest build and it is good. You are right, this Acara is an UL but the way he has modified it in my mind makes it fly like an SUL. Its an incredible build but definately doesn't meet your requirements. You already have an outstanding kite in your collection. The Talon UL. You cant get much better than that IMO.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

roisinroisin22

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Hey Ara,

Re Acara , make a sail and frame it to your preferred wind range , the sails and bridles are all the same , e mail Ian Newham and chat to him , a great guy for advice

http://www.kiteplans.org/pln_1086/

Image Ul

Image Std flown in no wind mist and short lines

Last edited by roisinroisin22 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

roisinroisin22 wrote:
Hey Ara,

Re Acara , make a sail and frame it to your preferred wind range , the sails and bridles are all the same , e mail Ian Newham and chat to him , a great guy for advice

Thanks Simon, but two questions:

1. How do I get hold of Ian Newham's e-mail?

2. How would you describe the Acara std? You say the std floats in the fog but then it is not really an std... :?

Cheers,

N.
In my bag...

roisinroisin22

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Contact added above Ara

All the Acara`s are "old school " floaty the std was flown on short lines just for the want of flying , we didnt have a Ul , now we have a UL the black and red is defo a std

The UL is almost a sul but the wing size does hinder it , it does however catch the lightest of winds to power the sail

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:47 pm

roisinroisin22 wrote:
Contact added above Ara

All the Acara`s are "old school " floaty the std was flown on short lines just for the want of flying , we didnt have a Ul , now we have a UL the black and red is defo a std

The UL is almost a sul but the wing size does hinder it , it does however catch the lightest of winds to power the sail

Great, thanks!

N.
In my bag...

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Ara Ararauna wrote:
One of my doubts about the Acara is that it says it is more oriented to low winds... Is that so?

First of all it is a very old design (around 1997) so its not going to tick the can do any trick box. That said I've got a vented Acara that flies in a *lot* of wind and I used to fly pairs with Acaras with nylon sails and prosport frames, the bottom spreader would flex dumping wind so even though they weren't vented they were our kite of choice in 20mph, really smooth. Like I said though, ancient kite all about flatspins and axels so I'd give it a miss.

The Thornback is in the same vein as kites like the Opium & Exile, kind of old meets new - will roll up and comete but will still turn in a decent flatspin and axel. Again, its old (late 2003ish) Look for something newer if you want proper modern tricky.

Both kites have wide wind ranges but since I started designing kites for a friend and I to fly pairs I was more interested in kites that fly reasonably slow in high wind but still have a good solid pull - most people don't want the pull.

:roll: I always used to try to put people off and insist they flew one before I would sell them one :oops:

roisinroisin22 wrote:

I'd prefer people to get the original from http://www.iannewham.com - there have been updates to e.g. the Thornback that haven't appeared on KitePlanBase
Last edited by Ian Newham on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honchoboy

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 am

:shock:

Hi Ara. Firstly nice build, it looks great.

IMO Le Quartz is a great firstbuild, it will trick with the best of them. To be honest all of Sir Derefrat designs are quality. But the guide for building the quartz makes it a winner for a first build. Though I prefer the sail pattern on Christians site to the simplified version. It is very light on the lines to fly.

If you were feeling a bit more confident with your building I would also suggest the B'zar '11 as an alternative. But due to the billowing built into the centre of each sail-half it is pretty tricky to build and you need to be bang on with your skills. Sugarbaker has posted a fantastic build thread over on GWTW covering this kite but I stress it ain't for a novice builder.

The Invictus and the P2 are certainly on my to-building list. The latter could be a good option due to its low frame cost and that it leans towards higher winds.

I have yet to build one but a design which might tick all your boxes (and that which I most want) is the Sixth Sense. It appears to drip quality =D> , and I have heard nowt but good things.

Don't build the Acara. It won't satisfy your needs.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:14 am

honchoboy wrote:
:shock:

Hi Ara. Firstly nice build, it looks great.

IMO Le Quartz is a great firstbuild, it will trick with the best of them. To be honest all of Sir Derefrat designs are quality. But the guide for building the quartz makes it a winner for a first build. Though I prefer the sail pattern on Christians site to the simplified version. It is very light on the lines to fly.

I have yet to build one but a design which might tick all your boxes (and that which I most want) is the Sixth Sense. It appears to drip quality =D> , and I have heard nowt but good things.

Thanks so much for the tips (and for the conyne comment).

Yes I've also heard a lot about the Sixth Sense. As I understand it you haven't built one yet though. Correct?

It seems like everyone points at Le Quartz... It is not my prefered design... but I'll play around wit the colorizer and try to make it feel close to my heart and then go ahead and build it.
I guess it is the most sensible decision and after all everyone says it flies well.

l wonder how it will compare to my Soul and my Talon UL... and to a new Hypnotist I will probably buy for Christmas. :-)

Now, nobody has talked about my second category... :-?
Is there a rason for that?

Thanks.
In my bag...

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:33 am

With the kites you already own can I ask why you would want a Hypnotist?
Steve

In the bag

jaydub

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Hawkerhunter wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 am

jaydub wrote:
Hawkerhunter wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Hmmm... I LOVE its design!

I think it should have been the first kite I should have bought, instead of the Nexus. And ever since I realised this I have been craving for it.
It's shape is relatively unusual because it has lesser pronounced curve of the TE, and I find it gorgeous.
The colour layout I find it absolutely brilliant.
And I've read it flies really well.
Perhaps it is not a true trick kite, nor a precision kite either. But this (I think) would be one of those pleasures of seeing a beautiful design fly.

However, I would like to hear from you why you raise the question?

Why would you think it is strange for me to want a Hypnotist with the kites I have?
Where is the incoherence? :-)

You Hawkerhunter have one. Why do you have it? How often do you fly it?

Please tell me and perhaps I will rethink my choice. Of course one must take good care on what one invests the money on. :-)
In my bag...