Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

honchoboy
Topic Author

Acara UL

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Fresh from the sewing machine is my interpretation of an Acara UL. Firstly, many thank to Ian Newham for his valuable input. Very much appreciated =D>

Upper Spreader: 5mm carbon tube
Lower Spreaders: P200
Spine: P200
Leading Edges: P100
Covered LE throughout
Covered Standoffs
Sewn-in Leech line

This build is for Simon, and stems from a drunken conversation at the Northen Monkey Meet at Filey earlier this year. We had just been having an absolute ball flying my original Acara (nothing else wanted to fly) and everyone seemed to really dig going back old-school. I really hope he enjoys it. IMO its my best build quality to date (the lucky sod).

These photos were taken on its first test. Wind was no more than 5mph, but probably around 3mph. It flew like a bloody dream, with quite a presence on the line. I think we were all pretty shocked. Axels, 540's, slides, Half-axels, JLs, Fades that could be pulled into hand, fractured axels were all found within the hour - all pleasant to the eye.

Plus, a few surprises - it appears to flare to fade, and fade launch which i can't get on my original as it jut pulls straight towards you :?:

I think i'll leave it up to Simon though to comment further, as i'm probably biased, lol.

I've got a shed-load of photos taken throughout the build stages so if I get some time I might put a thread together....
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Acara UL

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 am

Now then young kite building Jedi.
I was fortunate enough to be there at the unvailing of this beauty and I have to take my northern cap off to you. For a kite to fly like it did straight out of the bag ( actually, thats a lie because you didnt make a bag you tight sod (lol), but you get the picture) was a credit to you and the designer. For me it felt like a SUL and something, with the right skills that you could fly indoors as well as out. You even pulled off a 360 damit.
The workmanship is outstanding and i think the pictures say it all. Well done Ian.

Steve
(NorthernmonkeyskitegroupNmkg)
Last edited by Hawkerhunter on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 am

Looks great and if it flies great it is a winner
Mike

roisinroisin22

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 am

"Bravo"

=D>

Rule No1
Having a UL in your bag , you know for a fact its going to blow a gale for weeks, lmao

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 am

=D> :cool: