Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

DanZi
Topic Author

Obsession 2 lower spreader broke

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am

Hi All,

I have a HQ Obsession 2 and the end of one of the lower spreader bars that connects to the center T cracked... it has about a 2 inch plug in that end, but the glue came off, the plug went way into the bar and so left the end unprotected.

It's a fiberglass rod I think... question is, what if I replace both the spreadbars with carbon - meaning potentially both spreaders will be lighter... I guess that the flying characteristic would chage quite a lot...

Many thanks
DanZi

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Obsession 2 lower spreader broke

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

The info I have found re. the Obsession II says the frame is 6mm carbon - so if that is correct, then as long as you can find something similar it should be a simple replacement (don't forget to retrieve the plug from the broken spreader and glue it into the new one).

Here are the links I found:

http://www.kitesonline.com/kites/sport/obsession.html

http://www.kiteworld.com/Kite/Stunt-Kit ... n-II/8072/

http://www.invento-hq.com/supportkites_ ... bsession_2
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

SteveC

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm

If you live anywhere near a Decathlon store, they sell 1.6m lengths of 6mm carbon for about £5 and it's pretty decent stuff.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

DanZi
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 am

Hey, thanks for the tip, managed to get hold of a 6mm carbon - indeed it was in fact carbon. Plug is intact, I'll glue it into the new bar as soon as I manage to cut it.

Anyone tried to use flex to cut the tube? Or will I be better off with a small hand saw?

Cheers,
DanZi

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Junior hack saw.

DanZi
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, managed to fix the Obsession's lower spreader.

Some other stuff though.... A lower leading edge was also broken, a 4 mm hybrid rod. Cut it also with the hack saw without any problems.

Final thing to fix is the metallic tube that holds the lower spreader's APA connector and the outter most know of the bridle. In fact both C Stoppers have popped off from both sides. So the APA slid down to the low end of the metallic tube and the bridle slid off of it to the 4 mm leading edge... Is there a better method to put the C stopper back on than glueing it on? I think the metal-to-plastic adhesion is quite bad of all cheap fast glues available at Tescos and stuff...

Thanks a lot
DanZi

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Decent quality superglue should do the trick, I always recommend Zap a Gap

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:49 pm

some people use self-adhesive heatshrink tubing (from Maplins) instead of c-clips - maybe that would work for you?
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

DanZi
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks a lot, got some shrink tubes, but not adhesives...

I used some DIY solution with some superglue... will see tomorrow, how that holds.

I put two layers of the shrink tube and a think cable tie, then glued it on both sides.

Unfortunately one of the ferrules isn't coming apart from the lower leading edge, as the internal diameter is 6mm it has a 6mm to 4mm tube in there and I think some years back I managed to glue that in :S

This way I wasnt't able to put the shrink tube on the other ferrule...

doh...

anyways, I am starting to like this kite more and more, might need to change the whole framing at some point....

:)