Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

honchoboy
Topic Author

Prototypes and panel design

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi all.

I am seriously getting hooked on building -to the point I actually may enjoy it more than flying :shock: (B'Zar '11 already on table, and P2 templates made).

One thing I am curious about - a designer has prototyped a kite fully, is happy with the results, has been using 'sail panel design A' throughout and then decides, "i think the graphics need a tweak". They then come up with 'sail panel design B' - shape of sail, frame, everything staying the same. Does this produce a kite with different flying characteristics i.e. by changing the camber of the sail?

Please forgive me if I sound stupid.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

pink

Re: Prototypes and panel design

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 pm

less panels, less thread, less weight
but for STD kite will not make a big difference i think,
lets wait for answers from experts.
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Actual panel layout may not be so important, but the direction of the fabric will be. Material stretches on the diagonal more than along the threads so its important to line up the fabric along the stress lines.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

sugarbaker

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 am

some sail patterns lend themselves more to creating a billow to the sail... but fabric/surface area would need to be added to the design (as in the case of the B'zar 2011). otherwise no, I doubt you'll notice much difference in performance if you re-imagine a pattern as long as you keep the fabric bias in the same orientation and the shape of the sail the same.

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 am

I've heard the orientation argument before, but has anyone measured the stretch of common fabrics in different orientations (sounds like a job for Zippy / Mike on his next break?)

I'd be interested to know how much it will actually stretch in a given direction of the lifetime of a kite, and how much effect that stretch would have on the flight characteristics over that period.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't think its so much stretch over the life of the kite but dynamic stretch in flight. But I just fly them so I might be wrong.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Have you ever tried ironing a very old/well used sail? There is definitely stretch in nylon ripstop. I've never had to make that serious a repair in polyester, so can't speak for that.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.