Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Dynamic 18 replacement?

Sun May 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I broke the ULE of my vented Silver Fox, a Dynamic 18 spar. Anyone have a suggestion what best to replace this with?

SteveC

Re: Dynamic 18 replacement?

Sun May 20, 2012 8:10 pm

The lack of availability of Dynamic spars is a real pain with FW kites and some HQ models. I would try P300 for the vented - I know that some use P200 as replacements on the FW soul standard but they may not be strong enough for a vented kite.
I recently broke one of my Soul ULE's and as an emergency measure used some lengths of 6mm pultruded instead ( well they use it on the Sin) i have to say I've noticed no real difference.

To get the ferrule out - get an old piece of spar or something that will reach down inside the spar to the end of the ferrule and a few inches longer. Now get hold of one of those electric heat guns - the type of thing you get from DIY stores for paint stripping. Put the old spar end down on the floor, slide the broken spar onto it down to the ferrule, heat the area around the ferrule for about 3-4 inches with the heat gun for a minute or so and then bang the broken spar down hard onto the old spar inside and the ferrule should pop straight out.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks, Steve! I'll check to make sure the fittings and internal ferrule fit in/on P300.

Got the ferrule out by keeping the broken spar end in hot water for a wee while and then whacking the ferrule. One whack and it came out :D

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 pm

As the internal ferrules that fit Skyshark don't fit Dynamic and v.v., I got the Dynamic 18 spars from the US in the end, but made sure to stock up on several types of Dynamic spars (given that I have several kites that use Dynamic spars, both straight and tapered), so the extra costs are spread around.

I did hear that kiteworld might start stocking some Dynamic spars in the not-too-distant future, so worth to keep an eye on.