Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

saxon
Topic Author

Nose damage on Carl Robertshaw Matrix

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:40 pm

I have unfortunately spun nose first my Matrix into the ground while trying to hand control to a friend with little experience. As a result the nose tip of the kite's main spar running from nose to tail has shattered. As I bought the kite secondhand and don't have any instructions or a manual I'm not sure what exactly used to be in the nose of the kite or even what the main backbone spar is made of. All the other tubes look like carbon fibre and are marked skyshark P200x etc but this broken tube has no markings on it and there is no sign of any kind of plastic capping etc to the tube (presumably if there was a plastic cap it may have sheared off in the impact. It also doesn't have the woven look of carbon fibre and it made me wonder if it is fibreglass?

This is the first time I have needed a repair so some questions:

What tube should the Matrix have?
How is the end of the tube finished off - capped?
Should I just hand it over to kitesup who are about an hour drive away (I'm near Petersfield)?
Likely repair cost?

Grateful for any advice,

Best regards,

Saxon

Tony S

Re: Nose damage on Carl Robertshaw Matrix

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello Saxon,

if it is a standard matrix then it is sparred with skyshark P200 or P200x throughout - Carl kept the same type per version, so SUL is all 2P, UL is all P100, vent is all P300 and super vent all P400.

You should have a 8mm rubber end cap on the nose end. Sometimes they get cut by nose plants, so have a new one ready and tape it in place - I guess you still have the short extra tail piece which fits below the center T ?

Be aware when fitting the new spar that you slide the plastic T piece in place, wrap some tape above and below to stop it slipping, then push the T piece through the small diamond hole in the sail. To get the spar in at the nose, you now have to bend it - it looks tight, but the spar is bendy enough ! Fit the extra tail bit last.

You don't need to cut the spar down, just buy a new one and swap it.

Good luck !

If you are going to the STACK round at Basingstoke this weekend, shout if you need any help.

Tony

saxon
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2015 9:44 am

Hi guys, been out of action for a long time following an operation (ankle) so unable to fly a powerful kite. Anyway I want to get the Matrix fixed up and have taken some pics of the damage. From Tony S's post it seems that all I need then is a replacement Skyshark P200 or P200x pole and a plastic 8mm end cap and she'll be good as new. Am I right then that there's nothing in the nose holding the delta shape apart from the tension of the pole in its fabric sleeve?

I think the Highwayman store is one of the few UK places that sell suitable parts so plan to order from them today!

The big question is if mine was P200 (it's not got a spiral type pattern and just says Skyshark) then I gather that was replaced by P2X but that doesn't seem to be on sale on the Highwayman store either so what replaced that???) The lower spreader is in fact Skyshark II P3X and the upper spreader is Skyshark II P200 but there is no way of knowing if any of these are original fit.

Does anyone have a PDF or photocopy of a Carl Robertshaw Matrix manual that might help me?

Kind regards,

Saxon

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu May 21, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm almost 100% certain that Carl stopped making the Matrix before the Px series tubes existed, therefore your kite's been reframed. I wouldn't worry too much about which replacement to use in the spine, any of the following will work fine, P200, P2x, P300, P3x.

And there's nothing else in the nose, just the rod and end cap.

Michel

Sun May 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Craig wrote:
I'm almost 100% certain that Carl stopped making the Matrix before the Px series tubes existed [...]

Me too. :-D

The original CR Matrix STD spine is SkyShark P200.

If you have a grey Exel Center-T, check before that the P300, P2X or P3X fits into the T if you want to replace the spine with these spars. Else, you’ll have to drill the Exel-T a bit.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Just posted a photo of the Matrix front page instructions to my Facebook page Bryan Beasley cos linking to elsewhere is just hassle on this tablet...

Bryan.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 25, 2015 9:52 pm

How's this... 8)

Dave Morley

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Ah, well done Dave...

Bryan.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Ah, well done Dave...

Bryan.

You're welcome :)
Dave Morley

saxon
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:56 am

Brilliant guys - that's a great help. The Highwayman haven't rep[lied to my email so I will give them a ring and order the bits.

What a great forum! If anyone has a photocopy of the manual they could post to me I'd be happy to both pay you for your trouble and also send you a PM with my postal address (or alternatively if they can scan and email that's probably even better) I've never really known how to set up or adjust the kite with no manual.

Thanks again,

saxon

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Pretty sure I have several around the place somewhere... Drop me your address and I'll post one out.

Bryan.

woody482

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi a very good site to try is search "kite catalogues - Google Docs" (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id...hl=en_US)

copy of kite studio Matrix + lots more :D

RoyReed

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design