Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bunman
Topic Author

Gemini & yo-yo stoppers

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Just ordered some yo-yo stoppers from the FA shop. But anyone out there give me an idea as to the best place to put them? The only thing I've come across is an old review of a UL with yo-yo stoppers fitted about 51-52cm down from the nose. Also, at what angle should they stick out?

Cheers,
Ali
Kite Bag:
Benson Deep Space (custom)
Revolution John Barresi B2
Flexifoil Super10
Ollie Octopus (for the kids... honest!)
Wanted - Mettoy Barnstormer

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Gemini & yo-yo stoppers

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 pm

2/5ths from the nose is a good starting point. The stops you have ordered are round so they don't stick out at any angle, they clip over the LE and are held by a zip tie.

harveystubbs

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Ali,

You could try a yoyo line as a permenant solution which saves you puncturing the sail or as a temporary measure so you find a good balance point when the kite is wrapped up. If you need to know how to do this I would be happy to help.

Those kite house stoppers work well.

How have you got on with the gem?

Harv

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 pm

A quick look at the Benson twins old frame specs and Mark Clements' rollbar mods both give the attachments (yo yo stopper/rollbar ) at 51cm from the end of the upper leading edge.
My old-third hand Gem came with some some added by a previous owner,but at about 54cm. I can't say if they worked well as I never put them back after repairs.

bunman
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Cheers for all the responses, I'll wait and see how I get on before poking holes in the kite, I'm a long way off doing yo-yo's but thought I would get the stoppers anyway as that seems to be quite a popular mod.

Harvey - Still very early days with the Gemini, just a little normal flying and getting the feel for the kite. I tried a few things, I won't call them tricks, cos to be honest I didn't have a clue what I was doing and basically just letting the lines slacken and giving the odd tug!! Normally this resulted in the lines tangling round the kite and it falling gracefully out of the sky! Since then though, I've done more reading and watched lots of youtube videos, so I have a slightly better clue as to what I should be doing. . I got the Stranger up for a short blast at the weekend, but footballers were taking up most of the field and the wind was a bit on the blustery side. My wee boy had a blast with his Winnie the Pooh kite though!!

Can't wait to get out with them again soon though.

Ali
Kite Bag:
Benson Deep Space (custom)
Revolution John Barresi B2
Flexifoil Super10
Ollie Octopus (for the kids... honest!)
Wanted - Mettoy Barnstormer

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Why not put roll bars on the Gem. The latest Gems have them.
Mike