Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Line maintenance

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Elsewhere (don't ask!) I've seen suggestions that tired lines can be revived by spraying with silicone.
A good idea, perhaps? It would keep them slippery for a little longer, if they're beginning to bind. But it won't repair them if they're frayed.
But how do you spray them?
On their winders? Wouldn't that be a bit hit & miss, with a spray that dries out almost immediately?
Or do you stretch them out over 25 metres, run up and down spraying one side of each, then turn them over and spray the other sides? Silicone spray cans aren't exactly cheap, so it would probably be cheaper in the long run to buy new lines.

Come to think of it, how many flying hours should one expect to get from a set of (say) Protec lines? Without spraying, I mean.
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

SteveC

Re: Line maintenance

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Well worth doing especially if your lines are starting to bind up. I usually get a big piece of corregated cardboard box about 18" x 12" and unwind my lines along the length of the cardboard - make a little slit to catch the ends in so they don't unwind. Give 'em a good blat with silicon spray both sides and leave them for a few minutes standing upright over a piece of kitchen paper. After a few minutes wipe off the excess with more kitchen paper or a clean rag and wind back onto the winders. Keep an eye out at Lidl as they often sell tins of silicon spray pretty cheap. I spray my protecs a couple of times a year when they start to bind , in fact you've just reminded me to do them!
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

I wouldn't want to get any of the spray transfered from the lines to my kites. I'd imagine it wouldn't wash out!

SteveC

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:03 pm

As long as you make sure you wipe all the excess off well I've not had any problems so far.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Zippy8

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:13 am

Old Greebo wrote:
Elsewhere (don't ask!)...

It's quite alright to mention The Other Placeā„¢. Relations are cordial.

But how do you spray them?

Either spray on the winder over something you don't mind ruining and clean off the excess or mimic what Climax let you do with their Clean & Safe set...

...and wipe it onto stretched out lines with a rag.

Come to think of it, how many flying hours should one expect to get from a set of (say) Protec lines? Without spraying, I mean.

Highly variable depending on where~when~how. If you fly over wet beach sand and don't wash the lines afterwards then life expectancy will be quite different to someone flying on an iced over lake.

My experience is that this sort of line maintenance is worthwhile in extending the usable lifespan of a line set. Contrariwise, you may think it a total waste of time and effort and prefer a new set of lines every flight. Your time, your money, your choice.

Mike.

harveystubbs

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

What does everybody think of the Climax line maintenance kit in the post above?

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

I love this Forum! Such good advice from people who KNOW! Thanks especially to Mike.
I'll be interested to read what people think of the Climax kit. Always difficult to know what's in these proprietary brand kits, isn't it? Does it really work, or would I be OK just using Tesco washing-up liquid, followed up by some leftover Factor 30 and a silicone wipe?
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...