Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Dubflier
Topic Author

Ophidion leading edge tensioning

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:29 am

Hello

Can any body explain to me what this means in English ?

Die Schnurr ist ein Buchtknochten dieser wird stramgesogen und kleine rest am end emit einem Halbenschlg befästigt.

Der Tampen ist nicht zu kurz, wenn die LK stramm ist hat man min so viel übrig dass man es noch 2 - 3 mal un den Nocken wickeln kann.

I can't seem to get my head around what to do with the small piece of tensioning line at the wing tip, it keeps coming loose, the above is from Arne at ahtechnology.
Dubflier

Stink_Finger

Re: Ophidion leading edge tensioning

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Google translator...

This will be the Mr. Schnurr is a Buchtknochten stramgesogen and small rest at the end 02.10.05 a Halbenschlg bedheads were.
The rope end is not too short, if the LK is a brisk 30 min has so much left that it is still 2 - 3 times un the cams can wrap.

... still no wiser!
Driving a VW Camper, flying Bensons! (OS, Gemini, DS)

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Frengly.com:

The mustache is a little Buchtknochten this is stramgesogen and rest at one end emit Halbenschlg befästigt.
Can handle three times the un cam - the rope is too short, if the SC is tightly has one minute left so much that it still second

not really making any more sense there ;-)

Is the slot in the nock big enough to take 2 lines?

If so, can you thread both lines through and have the knot caught by the nock - would that tension the line enough?
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

silverfox

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Dubflier,
Pull the loop up over the end of the nock, give it a half twist, then bring it back over the nock and slip it into the slit.

Dubflier
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

I don't know either lads I put it through three on line translators and got much the same mumbo jumbo at the end, it just seems a very un-user friendly method of tensioning the leading edge when compared to other manufacturers.
Its an FSD nock which is a fairly common part.

Mick you can have a go at explaining when we next meet up, as it just seems to baffle me.

Dubflier :mrgreen:

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 pm

"Buchtknochten" can't be found by google but it suggests "Buchtknoten" instead,which, it appears ,is a larkshead knot.

Have you tried contacting Jurgen (dragonfly),he I think was born in Germany and sells the Ophidion.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Just pull the longer thread with the knot on the end back down (up) towards the sail until required tension is achieved. The line is coarse enough to hold in place while you wrap it round the nock a couple of times and shove the loose bit down to channel.

Bryan

Dubflier
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Bryan

Already tried all that, there just is'nt enough line to wrap around after its pulled tight to take all the slack out of the sail, there is only about 15-20 mm of line available.
I have done a job on it and have discarded the line in the picture and went down the prism method http://www.prismkites.com/download/wing ... ioners.pdf and am quite happy with the new set up. It just seems a quirky set up for tensioning, I have other kites from KiteHouse, LevelOne, R-Sky, and others but this has me baffled.

Cheers Dubflier :mrgreen:

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Dubflier wrote:

Der Tampen ist nicht zu kurz, wenn die LK stramm ist hat man min so viel übrig dass man es noch 2 - 3 mal un den Nocken wickeln kann.

The cord is not too short, when you have tensioned the leading edge, the should be enough line left to wrap it 2 or 3 times around the connector.

But I guess it wasn't that long...
Glad you found another solution.

(It is clear there isn't a best solution because of all the different methods on various kitebuilders.)

Krijn

Dubflier
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Cheers Krijn

For the translation, but unfortunately it was to short as in the photo the leading edge was more or less tensioned and you can see what was left to work with was never going to go around. Ah well all sorted now.

Thanks all for chiming in,

Dubflier :mrgreen:

stuartF

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Here is my bash at a translation. As the German is (in my amateur opinion) grammatically incorrect, the text is open to interpretation.

Die Schnurr ist ein Buchtknochten dieser wird stramgesogen und kleine rest am ende mit einem Halbenschlg befästigt.
The string is a slipknot, which can be tightened and the bit sticking out tidied up with a half hitch.

The loose end is not too short. When the leading edge is tight there will be enough to wrap it round the nock 2 or 3 times.

I'm a bit puzzled as Buchtknoten should be a Lark's head knot, but in the photo I can only make out a slipknot.

I'm happy to be corrected by anybody that really knows what he is talking about, and reserve the right to edit this post if criticised.

Stuart
the lunatic is on the grass

Yan

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:34 pm

dragonfly wrote:
Maybe Yan as the former owner could have shed some light on it ...

No, sorry, I flew as it came. I assumed that Arne had built it as it was intended to be flown.