Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Shadow Bridle

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 pm

I had terrible problems with the original Shadow bridle. Seems I'm not the only one.
Hope I'm not teaching grannie to suck eggs, but here goes ...
The HQ website lists two Shadows. One is the "Shadow 2009"; the other is the "Shadow". There are subtle differences between the spec for the two models, but a simple way to see which one you've got is to measure the standoffs. On the "Shadow" they are 8.86ins long (22.5cm). On the "Shadow 2009" they are 8.46ins long (21.5cm).
The pic of the one being advertised by Volango is the same as mine, and it's the "Shadow" model. I think the "Shadow 2009" model is (was?) a bit more colourful, but not by much.
The bridle measurements that HQ give for the "Shadow" are: Upper Outhaul - 46.5 cm; Lower Outhaul - 56 cm; Inner Outhaul - 52 cm; Turbo - 6 cm; Fangschenkel - 44.5cm
I think 'Fangschenkel' must be the keeper (?) line. I haven't bothered to fit one, but am waiting to be told that I really ought to.

For the "Shadow 2009", the Upper Outhaul is 42.5 cm. There is no Fangschenkel. Other bridle measurements are the same as the "Shadow".

I'm no expert, so I can't (yet) say how well these standard bridle settings compare with the tweaks I've seen suggested here. But I do know the standard "Shadow" settings given above will get the kite off the ground and give you decent control.
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

LittleSkink2

Re: Shadow Bridle

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 pm

thanks Brian

my understanding is also like yours. The rainbow applique model is Shadow 2009 - later ones (just Shadow) have different panel layout and only get blue applique. Later models have standoffs all in 3mm, where as early ones had 2mm and 3mm

I can already see on the dyneema bridle on my new one that the marks are fading and knots are slippery - not a good start. Really dont want to make a new bridle (that kind of scares me) but assuming I may have to, where can you get UL bridle line ? Lightest I have seen was 80lb I think
Favourite dual Dynamic bridle Phantom Elite. Favourite Quad Sedgwick 1. Favourite Singles Rokkakus

Zippy8

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:22 am

Old Greebo wrote:
I think the "Shadow 2009" model is (was?) a bit more colourful, but not by much.

The earliest Shadows were more flambullient:-

Rainbow !!!

but they are pre-2009 so I'm not at all sure where that leaves you. I would have thought that Shadow was the first version and Shadow 2009 was the reintroduced, plainer sailed version but that just logic talking.

Mike.

SteveC

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

The original 2006 Rainbow Shadow had an uphaul of 46.5cm but some people found they got better drive by shortening it to 42.5cm.

The 2009 Blue shadow already has this mod. otherwise,apart from the fact that the early Shadow used Avia rods and the new one uses plain 4mm, they are the same. The bridle is a pain. Zippy8 has already suggested elsewhere using beeswax on the knots to reduce slipping, something I haven't tried. Climax do an 80lb bridle line available from Go-kites or on Ebay. Try retieing the original bridle inproper bridle line- I would replace the tow loops which come with it with new ones also tied from bridle line.

If you find the standard bridle to oversteery, try a 3 point as follows;

Uphaul 42cm (middle knot)

Inhaul 52cm

Outhaul 60cm

You can use a pigtail on all 6 attachment pionts if you want. Uphaul, outhaul and tow point can all be tied from 1 length of bridle line with the inhaul larkstailed around the towpoint, that way the knots can't slip.

The Shadow should fly from about 1 1/2 - 2 mph up to around 8 ( HQ say 12 but I wouldn't like to try it) best winds are probably 3-4 mph.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,