This is my first post of this type but I can assure you that I wouldn't have taken the time to write it up if it wasn't worth the effort.
In fact this mod is very easy, it only really requires very simple knowledge and I have tried to write it up as simply and concisely as possible. I cannot take credit for the mod I was shown it by a French guy at a Kite festival here in Nancy - Clairlieu called Eurovolies.
Revolution Bridle modification As described and photographed by Julian Perkin
The first thing to do is to remove the upper out-hauls of the bridle from the top of the leading edge. On my Baressi 1.5 vented rev, the dimension from the leader line knot, to the end of the tip loop once removed from the end cap, is 57 centimetres precisely.
I used 65 Kg climax bridle line to make the modified sections.
Firstly, you need 2 very short loops tied with a simple overhand knot using the two ends.
For these ‘End-cap mini-loops’ cut off two lengths of 12 cm. Burn seal the ends. Double the lengths on themselves to bring the ends together and tie the ends into a overhand knot.
This will give you a small loop, which will be just the right length for the end-cap.
End-cap loop in position with original bridle tied on with a lark’s head knot.
Now, for the two larger bridle sections. What you’re making is two of these:
I can’t remember the exact length of line required but while making them I put white marks every 10 cm along the line as a tying guide to help make the second exactly the same as the first. I think there’s around 90 cm of line required for each section. Obviously, burn seal the ends to stop fraying.
In the photo I have not tied the overhand knots on the loop section, which are used to attach the flying lines.
So, there are two loops at either end with a central knot, also forming a loop that will be used to form the leader line. The knot at the base of this loop is the locus point of the bridle so as to form the dimensions
as seen in photo 3.
The original bridle’s top bridle point is attached to the mini-loop using a lark’s head knot.
In the original upper out-haul you’ll need to tie a normal overhand knot to fall at 32 cm from the end cap as the ‘anchor point’ for the new modified section. Just leave it loose and adjust it to the 32cm from the end cap once the bridle is attached to the mini-loop.
Now; attach the mod section using another lark’s head knot to the ‘anchor point’. Alternatively, you could use a prussic knot, which would enable you to move the anchor point if you want to experiment. (I haven’t.)
There is one final thing to do before flying. You will need to inverse the pigtails from top to bottom and vice versa on your rev handles. This is because of all the extra length generated in this upper bridle point. You could attach some extended leaders to the bottom bridle points if you don’t want to inverse the rev pigtails. I assure anyone who takes the trouble to try this; you will not be disappointed. I’d be grateful of any feedback.
I hope you enjoy it as much as me! :cool: