Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Stranger and Box of tricks mods

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 am

Is it possible to stick a tail weight on these kites to get them to backspin or do any other tricks? I still have quite a few old school kites and am wondering what mods I can do to them, thanks H

DD

Re: Stranger and Box of tricks mods

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 am

I got this from Miles for the stranger, its a bridle mod. Thanks again Miles!

Spine to TOW = 62cm
Turbo = 10cm
Upper outhaul = 54cm
Lower outhaul = 75cm

Loads of ways to construct a simple bridle like this for what its worth I chose to make the Inhaul (spine to TOW)
and turbo as one piece each side. This gave a cut length of 86.5cm allowing for a knot at the spine, an overhand knot
for the TOW and another for the outhaul attatchment. The outhauls were also made as one 140cm length each side allowing
for a knot at each spreader and a larkshead at the attachment onto the turbo.
The effect is only a subtle tweek but helps with flic flaks, and nice flat 540's. Let me know how you get on.

Not sure if a weight would help, never tried it. I questioned putting a stiffer frame in mine but never got to it

Hope this helps

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

Years ago on rec.kites (so its all ASCII I'm afraid) I wrote up a reversible way to convert the std bridle to a turbo. Andy Wardley has it on his site here:

http://wardley.org/kites/reckites/bridl ... ridle.html

Its not going to make it fly like a modern kite but its simple to experiment with.

Personally I'd enjoy the Stranger for what it is and enjoy the laid back flying when you're feeling jaded with yoyos and cometes.

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks for the responses. Ian I think you are right I just wondered if it could be done. Thanks for the bridle mods too.