Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Jorge Gouverneur
Topic Author

Wap doo wap Happy.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:28 am

This is a 12 year old kite in my bag.

Got it out of my bag to fly it. Trying updated moves on it and still surprises me.

phpBB [video]
Jorge G.
Kite Bag: Transfer xt.r, ATM, Duende 2.2 STD & UL, French Connection UL, Widow NG, Wolf NG, Aura UL

kareloh

Re: Wap doo wap Happy.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:16 am

The XTr is a great kite. I used to have a complete set. Liked the Unleaded the most. Not a true UL but rather floaty compared to the STD.
Since the Transfer series excelled in backflip based tricks (ML's, Cyniques) it's great at wap's. I guess the only trick that is not really it's cup of tea is the Taz. The rest is pretty much there.

Nice vid!

Jorge Gouverneur
Topic Author

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 pm

kareloh wrote:
The XTr is a great kite. I used to have a complete set. Liked the Unleaded the most. Not a true UL but rather floaty compared to the STD.
Since the Transfer series excelled in backflip based tricks (ML's, Cyniques) it's great at wap's. I guess the only trick that is not really it's cup of tea is the Taz. The rest is pretty much there.

Nice vid!

I totally agree.
Jorge G.
Kite Bag: Transfer xt.r, ATM, Duende 2.2 STD & UL, French Connection UL, Widow NG, Wolf NG, Aura UL

Jorge Gouverneur
Topic Author

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:50 pm

What I was trying to do was to get an extra spin (like a rolled back spin) out of the kite. Every time I tried, the kite would loose the momentum and unroll.

I found out that if you tug the opposite hand after 1 1/2 turns the kite will keep spinning without loosing the backspin. I managed to get an extra spin . Maybe is possible to make multiple spins.

I'm sure many people tried to make a wap doo wap with multiple spins. This could be the way around :D .

I would like to see a more experienced pilots than me trying this 1 1/2 spin method.

Thanks.
Jorge G.

kareloh

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 am

Another nice addition is to do a cynique while in a wapdoowap. Make sure you change to 7pt LS before starting with cyniques though!

Tony S

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Once you get the kite spinning you are basically doing a lazy susan - difference being that the kite is nose towards you for the first half rotation. A transfer should be happy spinning all day ....

I think you can try popping the other hand after half a spin instead of one and a half, might be useful with kites that run out of momentum ....

Tony

Jorge Gouverneur
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:11 pm

kareloh wrote:
Another nice addition is to do a cynique while in a wapdoowap. Make sure you change to 7pt LS before starting with cyniques though!

You're right. Cyniques are lower spreader killers. I'll try that next time

anyway those 5pt I have are old and they don't feel rigid. I guess with time the carbon fibers start to deteriorate making the spar loose its strength and stiffness.

I'm going to order 7pts and redo the lower spreader.

Thanks.
Jorge G.

kareloh

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 am

It's sure makes the XTr STD better IMHO. It improves pitch tricks and feels more solid. The extra weight is marginal.
Did you do the other 'mods' allready: shortening the US and extend the wingtip bungies?

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:20 pm

kareloh wrote:
It's sure makes the XTr STD better IMHO. It improves pitch tricks and feels more solid. The extra weight is marginal.
Did you do the other 'mods' allready: shortening the US and extend the wingtip bungies?

Please can you post a summary of recommended Transfer mods - the Unleaded version too :wink:

-Frazer

kareloh

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm

IIRC for the STD it was shortening the US by 1 cm from the stock length and use longer bungies or use a longer cord at the wingtips to loosen the sail a bit.
I don't remember doing mods on the UnLeaded or VV.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:53 pm

I do fear for the 3pt spreaders on the Unleaded. I'll have to remember to always be gentle.

-Frazer

Jorge Gouverneur
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:29 am

Hi kareloh:

This weekend I'll give it a try. I'm ordering 7pts but it will be shipped for next week. I'll try to be gentle with it not to break the lower spreader.
Jorge G.