Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

kaasplank

Re: Dual line development

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 am

Fun to read. I have to say that at this point i actually prefer to get an oldie out of the bag and fly it on a nice 1bft evening :)

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 pm

andre_e wrote:
A little tidbit of info about weights. They are not a modern development. People used weights especialy in the tail way back in the early 90s as well. Mostly for improved precision to counter oversteer.

I've heard tell of them being used esp. by teams in extreme winds to calm the kites' turn down a bit (not so much oversteer as sensitivity) but this was hardly a commonplace tweak. Contrast that to the last 5~6~7 years where a kite without weights (ie; Androgyn, Mohawk) is something of a rarity.

It's also worth noting that covered LE connectors aren't a new development either but have only become de rigueur recently. Air Jordan's Millennium had them and IIRC at least one Big Easy kite did too.

Mike.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
I've heard tell of them being used esp. by teams in extreme winds to calm the kites' turn down a bit (not so much oversteer as sensitivity) but this was hardly a commonplace tweak.

We've added big tail weights to the Airdynamics T4 V2s (megavent, carrington sail) for the team, it certainly made corners crisper.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012