Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Gem, getting out of a yoyo

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Tis me again.

I've made up the yoyo leader lines for the Gem & managed to get her into a double wrap.
Problem is how's the best way to get her to unwind? I'm having probs, tried giving it a bit of slack and a pull but having difficulty.

Later on do I go for Tim's retrofit roll bars or are stoppers better?

I've just added 14g (2x 7g) and wow, what a difference. LS just fell into place :)

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 pm

It's easy.

If you've yoyo'd the kite you can either :

A: Throw both arms forward with the kite flying upwards, then pull back with both arms which will make it 'unwrap' downwards (reverse of previous moves).

or

B: Throw both arms forward with the kite flying downwards, then pull back with both arms (legs) which will make it 'unwrap' on-the-spot; finishing in a fade if you are clever.

C: Perform a trick prior to the unwrap sequence. Like a 540, axel, lazy, multi-lazy, uber-doober-wotsit-trick. Whatever.

{A & B are easier to start with :lol:}

Not too hard really, Yoyo-ing is harder than unwrapping IMO.

Mark

Stink_Finger

Re: Gem, getting out of a yoyo

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 pm

ElusiveStranger wrote:

I've just added 14g (2x 7g) and wow, what a difference. LS just fell into place :)

Are the weights fitted at the bottom of each spine? what do you use as weights? how else can you mod a Gem & what are the benefits?
Driving a VW Camper, flying Bensons! (OS, Gemini, DS)

benjai

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Mine (7g on each spine) are lead wheel balancing weights inserted in the velcro pocket. Originally it came with them just superglued in place, but I've since used small self-adhesive velcro patches on the lead to hold it in like the larger weight on the DS.

jaydub

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Or just use brass 6mm ferrules (roughly 6g a go). I used 1 full one plus one cut in half on each spine on mine, with a cut off end cap spot glued onto the spine to stop them sliding forward during nose plants.

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:13 am

Stink_Finger wrote:
ElusiveStranger wrote:

Are the weights fitted at the bottom of each spine? what do you use as weights? how else can you mod a Gem & what are the benefits?

Lead flashing supplied by a fellow VeeDubber. I asked for about 100-200g, he gave me about 4-5kg at VanFest!

JoE, thanks for that. My "bit of slack" obviously wasn't enough!
Earlier searching for mods I found your site used to contain a PDF of Gem mods. Is that still available somewhere please?
(I can already do a uber-doober-wotsit-trick but it's not easily repeatable ;) I think most know it as a "cock up that looks coolish" )

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 am

ElusiveStranger wrote:
Earlier searching for mods I found your site used to contain a PDF of Gem mods. Is that still available somewhere please?

Yes,pm me an e-mail address if you can't get a link to it.

ryder666

Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:28 am

how do you get it to do a yoyo in the first place?? just got me a old gem with rollbars and newer bridle

i i can flic flac but f it up alot, flatspins are coming as are lazys, learning to hold it in a fade but nose drops out all the time even with 15g tail weight, can cointoss it allday long
(only been tricking about a month properly and only had the gem 4 days lol)

help would be apreciated

tom
in the bag,
levle 1 merlin (for sale)
benson gemini
flexifoil psycho
hq baby tamontana
current holder of library prism ozone
a long line set
a short line set
odds an sods

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:40 am

Stink_Finger wrote:
ElusiveStranger wrote:

may I present "misterbleepy's gemini weight system":

Which consists of a plastic numberplate nut and bolt, with a hole drilled down the centre of the bolt such that it is a push fit over the centre standoff.
You add metal discs with holes drilled into the middle of them of around 6 grams each (definitely not 2 pence pieces [-X )and fix them in place with the plastic nut.
This gives you an easily adjustable cheap set of weights, but it does look pretty naff.
Last edited by misterbleepy on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Stan Doff wrote:
ElusiveStranger wrote:

Yes,pm me an e-mail address if you can't get a link to it.

PM'd, thanks :)

kitegem

Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Piece of .2400 pultrude - Blue Moon barrel weights and donuts - place the .2400 over the center standoff, add the weight and good to go.

I don't weight the Gems lately but that's what I used when I did.

anOldMan

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 am

Oh My God, All of this about adding weights to a kite that normally would be obsolete by now. The Gem is a living classic that does not know when to DIE.

And I do not think that the kite will.

I love flying this kite because it can be every thing that you want it to be with a little bit of work on the flyer's part. Nothing is built in but everything.

John Dow on the beach, will not appreciate this kite but a person who wants to be able to TRICK. This is a classic and IMO a must for bag A!
anOldMan

ElusiveStranger
Topic Author

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:10 am

Pah, I still have my rip off (made by me) Psycho. Also a real mint Area 51.
Kites die when you wear them out :)
The Gem won't die either

Really wish I had a Stranger Level 7 :'( But I still have a purple matrix, almost mint.

There's nought wrong with obsolete.
I drive a '78 Camper (Subaru powered) and a '75 Bug ;) (search my user name and add vw to the search)
Love 'em or hate 'em, you can still upgrade

StuartB

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:35 pm

My Psycho still gets occasional outings and it's always in my bag when I expect a bit of a breeze. If I'm going to be flying in a strong wind I might as well have a smile on my face.

seales

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:42 pm

OldMan, any way at all a gem will cynique? It has surprised me, as I go back to it, how many of it's limits were just my flying.

My current weighting (should be temporary, but it's how these things go) is a no expense spared, currency friendly method. One conveniently sized 7.12g metal disc per spine somewhere in that tube of tape, and slid onto the velcro strip.

May put a little more stress into the velcro due to lost area, but no adverse effects so far.

Elusive stranger, have you tried reducing the length of the yo-yo line+/ ensuring the ends are at the leading edge when wrapped? If the lines sit too far tipwards releasing becomes pretty difficult. Also, treat it gently when unwrapping. It wasn't designed to have a line there :).

Jon