Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

 
User avatar
Visage
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK

Stuffing the upper spreader?

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:07 pm

I’ve just bagged myself a used Fury 85 Aerostuff :-D

I see in various comments some recommend stuffing the upper spreader, I’m not familiar with this turm I assume it's inserting a carbon rod of some sort but what?
Member of BKF & KKF
aka – fair weather flyer
 
User avatar
Infinitive
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Bristol

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 pm

6mm anything. hollow. carbon. I presume the US is P200 still on the AS model?
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------
 
User avatar
TobyR
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 am
Location: Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 am

I used an appropriate-length off-cut from a broken leading edge of my Psycho. No idea what that is but it's just the right diameter. Saxo `Sage 'n' Onion' would do just as well, though I find it a bit salty for my tastes.

Really helps to get rid of a dead spot in a flare (though I have the Skyshark version, AS model might not have this?).
 
User avatar
Aeri
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:01 am
Location: Vlaams Brabant, Belgium

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:48 am

psycho is 6MM :-)
Old school was a great school
 
User avatar
Visage
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:58 am

So am I reading this right your replacing the spreader with 6mm (handy I’ve a load of off cuts 8-) ) Or is it the original spreader being stuffed in the 6mm?

I’ve not got the kite yet so can’t check the spreader but I’d be very surprised if I could shove a bit of 6mm up there.
Member of BKF & KKF

aka – fair weather flyer
 
User avatar
Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Posts: 5755
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Epsom Downs, near the red cross.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:14 am

Visage wrote:
So am I reading this right your replacing the spreader with 6mm (handy I’ve a load of off cuts 8-) ) Or is it the original spreader being stuffed in the 6mm?

I’ve not got the kite yet so can’t check the spreader but I’d be very surprised if I could shove a bit of 6mm up there.


the upper spreader should be a P series spar which has plenty of room for a 6mm carbon rod to be stuffed.
 
User avatar
TobyR
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 am
Location: Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Craig wrote:
Visage wrote:
So am I reading this right your replacing the spreader with 6mm (handy I’ve a load of off cuts 8-) ) Or is it the original spreader being stuffed in the 6mm?

I’ve not got the kite yet so can’t check the spreader but I’d be very surprised if I could shove a bit of 6mm up there.


the upper spreader should be a P series spar which has plenty of room for a 6mm carbon rod to be stuffed.


Yup, loads of room, you can indeed, as you say, "stuff a bit of 6 mm up there". It slides out real easy too if the wind gets a bit light or you just want to remember what it's like without.
 
User avatar
Tony S
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 9:49 am

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:09 pm

You will probably find that aerostuffed versions have a 6mm upper spreader already. Mine does ...... You could add some weight to the nose using the same method as the tailweight. Or you could slip a piece of p200 over the upper spreader - cut it short so it sits between the rubber leading edge fittings once you have assembled it.

Tony
 
jad
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:42 am
Location: New Mexico, USA

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Is this all about the balance?

I don't see it as making a noticable stiffness difference as LSs do.

Does increased weight on the TS cause a noticable difference from weighted nose or is it just more possible to get more weight stuffing LS?

What effect is being sought?
JeffD
 
User avatar
Zippy8
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Vihtavuori, Finland
Contact:

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 pm

jad wrote:
What effect is being sought?

The main aim is balance. And inertia.

The two main aims are balance, inertia and rigidity.

The three main aims......



No, really just balance (esp. in Fades) and inertia (to actually get the damn kite there in the first place). It's really a matter of tuning to personal preference. My Furies have the US stuffed, my 85s don't.

Mike.
 
User avatar
Visage
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Well a Fury wasn’t on my shopping list at all I’m happy with my Talons but I was looking for a nice beach kite (I hate sand in my spar connecters ) and it was at a price that couldn’t be ignored, It wasn’t until after I’d bought it that I started to research the Fury and the main concern was the dead spot in the flair on a full-size and stuffing the US helps to cure this, it’s unclear if the 85 is affected in the same way.
I’m still awaiting delivery but my first fly will more than likely be at the Margate fest this weekend, so I wanted to be prepared. 8-)
Member of BKF & KKF

aka – fair weather flyer
 
User avatar
Zippy8
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Vihtavuori, Finland
Contact:

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Visage wrote:
the main concern was the dead spot in the flair on a full-size and stuffing the US helps to cure this, it’s unclear if the 85 is affected in the same way.

Not to nearly the same extent but then it's quite a different beast to the Ur-Fury. What framing on this 85 ?

Well a Fury wasn’t on my shopping.... but I was looking for a nice beach kite

Wow ! From Nirvana-killer to beach kite in just a few short years :-D

Mike.
 
User avatar
Visage
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Visage wrote:
the main concern was the dead spot in the flair on a full-size and stuffing the US helps to cure this, it’s unclear if the 85 is affected in the same way.

Not to nearly the same extent but then it's quite a different beast to the Ur-Fury. What framing on this 85 ?

Well a Fury wasn’t on my shopping.... but I was looking for a nice beach kite

Wow ! From Nirvana-killer to beach kite in just a few short years :-D

Mike.


It's Aerostuff \:D/ so….. yeah probably a bit posh for a beach kite #-o :-D

But the hairs on the back of my neck were tingling and the voice inside my head just wouldn’t let go. :clubbed:
Member of BKF & KKF

aka – fair weather flyer
 
User avatar
Zippy8
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Vihtavuori, Finland
Contact:

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Visage wrote:
It's Aerostuff \:D/

Blue or Gold ? If Blue (like mine) then it's really a UL and I don't find it needs any rebalancing for a steady Fade and has plenty of oomph for pitch tricks.

so….. yeah probably a bit posh for a beach kite #-o :-D

Not according to Five's The Gadget Show :roll:

Mike.
 
User avatar
Visage
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Blue or Gold ? If Blue (like mine) then it's really a UL and I don't find it needs any rebalancing for a steady Fade and has plenty of oomph for pitch tricks.


Not got it yet but I’m assuming gold.

visage wrote:
so….. yeah probably a bit posh for a beach kite #-o :-D

Zippy8 wrote:
Not according to Five's The Gadget Show :roll:

Yes I only got it so I could master the Twizzal :P
Member of BKF & KKF

aka – fair weather flyer