Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

lasapcheong
Topic Author

Fade to 540?

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Any tips? This looks like the next in thing from the recent trick videos out there, especially the videos coming out of Europe. Very nice looking trick but a very difficult one for me. Might be the next in thing to conquer (like how everybody wants to learn the Comet years ago)

When you flare the kite, I assume an uneven flare helps and you pop the wing that's higher? Do you wait for the nose to go high first? Also when you flare do you just throw slack and pop for the spin? Or you try to follow the flare with slight tension on the popping hand before popping/pulling?

I got a few in on my Cosmic and Organic but success rate is really low. However when it works it looks like one of the sexiest things out there.
Darryl
"One Day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual line for a minute anywhere in the window"

kareloh

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:37 pm

i tend to do them like a fade to slot. Very uneven flare, haha.
I think the hardest thing is to be quick with giving slack after the pop.

Infinitive

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Try to exaggerate how un-horizontal the kite is (while still in a fade), before inputting to flare the kite. The wings can be virtually vertical, as if you were coming from a slot. Also, be patient in letting the kite flare - on the Cosmic it is more forgiving of inputting too late than too early.

When you get this down, you can do the set-up from a dead-level fade by flaring with one hand harder than the other to get the kite into the usual flat-spin set-up position. When cascading this move (by fracturing the flatspin back to fade) you often have to force that position - it is even possible to get into the flatspin setup when the "wrong wing" is the higher one in the fade. Does that make sense?

To answer your Qs: yes,waiting for the nose to be high in the fade makes it much easier (on the cosmic). The slack thing is hard to say - when a flyer is in tune with a trick the amount of slack tends to be precise so the input can be given at the right time (cometes and backspin cascades come to mind), but I don't think it is critical with fade->flatspins.

Keep at it - the cosmic was made for this trick 8)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------