Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

stephanh
Topic Author

Just getting back into kite flying after 4-5 year hiatus

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey folks,
I'm just getting back into kite flying and am interested in learning tricks.

I can stall pretty well and I can do axels and 540s but I want to take the next step. I bought myself a Benson DS because I've owned a Box of Tricks for a few years.

I plan to read posts in this forum and have been browing the WEB for good tutorial videos. Lots of good materials out there.

My only concern revolves around the fact that in Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada, kite flyers are about as rare as diamonds.

Can someone without easy access to fellow flyers learn from text and videos? Are there any of you out there that have learned on their own? Am I being realistic in hoping I can learn freestyle flying without personal instruction?

Thanks all

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Just getting back into kite flying after 4-5 year hiatus

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 pm

There are trick tutorials here

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3. ... ls/randygs

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3. ... als/mama74

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3. ... icks-party

The DS is a great choice of kite, it'll help you reach all these tricks.

-Frazer

stephanh
Topic Author

Re: Just getting back into kite flying after 4-5 year hiatus

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks Frazer.

Do you think a person with some basic normal abilities (which I hope I have) can learn on his own?

I'm so lonely. ;) lol

SteveC

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi there,

Yes, you certainly can learn to fly tricks on your own from videos, but it will take longer. I live in Lincolnshire with very few fliers anywhere near me and I have learned from DVD's and videos, but it's taken me 3 years to get to a reasonable level. No matter how good the videos are or how many hours you spend watching them, they are nothing like the same as spending a couple of hours with good fliers. You spend hours watching videos trying to figure out what they are going but if you see that trick done in front of you it all becomes obvious. Try those video links Frazer gave you, Randy G and Martin Madsen are some of the best. Try and get hold of the 'Trick or Treat' DVD from Tim Benson, there are some very good tutorials on there done on the DS.

Have a look at the Gone with the Wind site - http://www.gwtwforum.com - they have a number of Canadian fliers but I don't know if any are near you.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for your insite.

I did order the Trick or Treat DVD so that will certainly help.

You're absolutely right about getting it when you see someone do it. A few years ago when Andy Wardley came to the Kite Festival in Wildwood New Jersey he taught me how to do my first Axel. I had been trying to learn on my own but back then the WEB wasn't as prolific on freestyle flying as it is today.

Hopefully the videos will be enough. I'm very patient so I should be ok. Maybe I'll have to make some trips to spend some time with flyers.

Thanks again
Stephane

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 pm

stephanh wrote:
Thanks Frazer.

Do you think a person with some basic normal abilities (which I hope I have) can learn on his own?

I'm so lonely. ;) lol

You'll learn quicker if you fly with others, even if they can't fly these tricks - you'll help each other along and
bragging rights for that new trick is motivation enough :-)

But here in the US in least, ppl who can fly many of these types of tricks are few and far between.

If you get stuck with a trick you can always ask for help here ... someone will be able to offer some words of advice.

Good luck and welcome to FA !

-Frazer

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks Frazer.

BTW, how good is this forum compared to others? I haven't had time to visit much else so far.

Thanks
Stephane

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

stephanh wrote:
Thanks Frazer.

BTW, how good is this forum compared to others? I haven't had time to visit much else so far.

Thanks
Stephane

There is more traffic on http://www.gwtwforum.com.

Best to sign up for the different forums and judge for yourself.

-Frazer

SteveC

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 pm

The time when other fliers really come in useful is when you 'stuck' on a trick or part of a trick. You will find that somewhere you'll find a trick, not necesserily a difficult trick, that you just cannot get no matter how much you practise. My nemesis is the Backspin! a fairly basic trick but I just cannot get it with any sort reliability. Jacobs Ladders, taz's, slots, multilazies no problem but backspins..... That is when help from others can be really helpful.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey Steve,
I sent you a PM BTW to get a copy of Peter's book.

Does it have info about line lengths and other basic info?

I ask because I have been flying very short lines. 50 feet I think. I used that in the past because Andy Wardley used short lines like that when he taught me a few things in Wildwood NJ.

What do you guys run for lengths usually?

I do know that shorter lines are more responsive but you also have to be much quicker to react correct?

Thanks
Stephane

kareloh

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Get 25 - 30 meter for your DS. It'll enlarge the window and give you more time to do your tricks. After a while you might want to have some more length, but for the DS i wouldn't go past 35 meters.

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks Kareloh

It'll take some getting used to. But I expected shorter lines were probably not best for tricking.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:47 pm

45m, but I do like to make life difficult :-)

No seriously, 25-35m for trick flying, I use longer because I spend 90% of my time team flying.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

SteveC

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm

stephanh wrote:
Hey Steve,
I sent you a PM BTW to get a copy of Peter's book.

Does it have info about line lengths and other basic info?

I ask because I have been flying very short lines. 50 feet I think. I used that in the past because Andy Wardley used short lines like that when he taught me a few things in Wildwood NJ.

What do you guys run for lengths usually?

I do know that shorter lines are more responsive but you also have to be much quicker to react correct?

Thanks
Stephane

I've sent you a copy so check your email and it should be there.

For lines you want 25m at 90/100lb lines for trick flying. Don't skimp on the lines, you have a great kite so invest a little more in a good set of Dyneema lines - Tim Benson sells Climax Protec/ Professional which are very good, you can also look for Shanti, Laser pro gold (LPG) and skybond amongst others. It all depend on what is available to you locally but worth spending a little extra on a decent set.

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey Steve,
Yep, got the email. Thanks. It looks like there is a ton of good info in there.

I ordered some of that Protec line at the same time as I ordered the DS. My old stuff is starting to show its age.

Thanks for the advice.

Stephane