Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

J.R.DK
Topic Author

Talon Std. need advice..

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 am

Hey all...

Just bought my first Talon std. and my first impression is... Nice kite, no doubt about that!
But... I have a couple of issues I would like to improve, first of all, the backflip, it`s not as deeply as i would like it to and it giving me hard times doing a good looking JL, multi lazy, snap lazy, flap jack etc.

I also have problems with flat spin rotation 540 and Taz... half way in the rotation, the kite just "drop out" and then we are going down, down, down...!
In the last VF round I saw plenty of good looking JL`s on Talon std`s, so is clear that it is possible, but I also noticed, that no one made a Taz or MultiLazy on a std. Talon, correct me if im wrong

Can any of you experienced Talon pilots help me, what is the secret, how much weight do you have and do you have any bridle goodies, what i possible and what is not possible with this kite ?

Sorry for my Danish English and hope you can help me a bit

Jesper

DWayne

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:15 pm

I've only been flying my Talon for 7 months so I'm sure there are plenty of fliers with more insight than I have. But I'm rather baffled. Except in the lightest of wind snap lazies on my kite require a quick input to spin so the kite doesn't do a yoyo. For a snap lazy your input to put the kite on its back may need to be a bit sharper or you may need to give more slack after the first input. If you're flying up the window you may have to pause for a split second to let the nose settle into a deep turtle before spinning. For me Taz machines are quite accessible on the std. I'm still trying to coax them out of the vent though. :oops: JL's, 540's, and slots work for me on all 3 of my Talons. I thought the JL's were a giveaway on the Talon. Slow and smooth or fast and furious. The kite doesn't seem to mind either way.
And for the record, I haven't made any changes to my Talons. They're set up just the way they were when Mark sent them to me.

Denny
Rehab is for Quitters

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Dude, you fly a Nirvana well, so switching to a Talon is going to need a shift upstairs as well. I would venture that at least 90% of your problem is that your inputs are too big (way to big), and slow as well.

Whenever I fly a DS, I try to cut all my inputs in half, while sharpening them considerably (shortening the time).

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Mark E Mark

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 am

Well I was kind of hoping some really experienced flyer would wade in (I'm OK but nothing special). The talon doesn’t sit as deep in the ‘backfli’p as some kites (my Akuji Comp for example) but is does sit deeper than a couple of others. To be honest I’ve not really had a problem – Flapjacks are really quite easy for example. I wonder if the you are not giving a snappy enough input (not hard and not such a 'sweep' motion as on some other kites) to instigate the transition – if not the nose does not sit very deep – I find this true of the JL for example and it’s easy to see when attempting Flapjacks.

P.S. It won't just lie around on its back like some kites will, so once you have it in the correct position you need to get on with the rotation or the moment will be lost.

I always fly standard bridle and weights.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I wouldn't (and never do) mess with the bridle and weights either - 'e knows what 'es doing that JoE chappy y'know.

A settled turtle on any of the range of Talons isn't as deep as many recent designs, but it's plenty deep enough for really nice flat lazies and JL and such, just be sure and throw the off hand well forward. If you want it deeper though, throw it deeper to start with and don't let it settle - just hit the spin when you're happy, again really throw the off hand forward - multi's come easy then, just keep the other hand well forward and hit for more rotaions as it comes back around - hit it real hard and you'll get a couple or 3 rotations out of 1 input.

Flat spins and Slots are really nice, can't imagine where a problem might be other that like what Jay says - quicker inputs. The Taz machine is a bit tougher - be really patient and wait for the nose to be past straight away from you in the half axel set up, then pop it round (as opposed to sweeping it like you would with a Vana say, or CTC) for the 540 rotation with the other hand and chuck a sheeite load of slack at it.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

Mark E Mark

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:33 am

bryan beasley wrote:
A settled turtle on any of the range of Talons isn't as deep as many recent designs, but it's plenty deep enough for really nice flat lazies and JL and such, just be sure and throw the off hand well forward. If you want it deeper though, throw it deeper to start with and don't let it settle - just hit the spin when you're happy, again really throw the off hand forward .

That was what I was attempting to write - better described by Bryan though :P .

J.R.DK
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Okay... first of all, thanks for all your inputs !

I have been reading your post again and again all day and it seems that you are pretty agree...
Dont mess with the bridle and the weight! :D

I cant promise i wont make experiments with the weight :) but I can promise ill try everything else your suggesting, it is quite clear that I have to work with my input, that alone is not surprising for me, but now i know, that I at least work with the same setup as the experienced Talon pilots...hehe :)

I will cut it down and bring those 3 with me on the next flight..

I would venture that at least 90% of your problem is that your inputs are too big (way to big), and slow as well.

A settled turtle on any of the range of Talons isn't as deep as many recent designs, but it's plenty deep enough for really nice flat lazies and JL and such, just be sure and throw the off hand well forward. If you want it deeper though, throw it deeper to start with and don't let it settle - just hit the spin when you're happy, again really throw the off hand forward .

The Taz machine is a bit tougher - be really patient and wait for the nose to be past straight away from you in the half axel set up, then pop it round (as opposed to sweeping it like you would with a Vana say, or CTC)

Thanks all.. and dont consider this post as closed, im always open for inputs ;)

Jesper