Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Lewis...help?

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Hello fellow kiters.

I have been working on JLs and the Lewis. The JL is just a matter of practice and is coming along nicely. However, the Lewis....

1. Do I need to hit the 'yo' part hard enough to rotate all the way to the wrapped-turtle?

2. OR...is there a second more subtle input to get from wrapped-nose up to the wrapped turtle?

Up to this point, I have had loads of trouble with the kite not making it to the wrapped turtle. I've been chalking this up to the low winds or not getting a fast enough yo rotation. However, if there is usually a second little pop/throw here, I have been missing it.

Thanks for the help,
obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Pierre

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Ask Henri...the Lewismaster..
When the kite is through it's rollup rotation pick up the slack and immidiatly give little slack to bring the kite on it's back.
When you do it perfect it looks like it is just one input....

kareloh

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah, the second input shouldn't be noticable for a perfect TP score.
Pretty hard to do, i always cheat a little with a small input... like Pierre allready mentioned a little extra slack to let it fall or a small pop before the yoyo rotation is completed to throw it in the backflip.

Infinitive

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Usually another little pop to get the kite to drop into turtle again. I take it you can do a yoyo, fly around wrapped for a bit, then go into a turtle->lazy->unwrap? Kites seem to fall into a turtle more readily when wrapped, and you can give the pop to fall into turtle again at virtually any point: ie from when the nose is pointing at you when coming around from the yoyo, or when it is pointing skyward. Now I think about it, the earlier the better, like in multi yoyos, it looks more fluid.

I surprised, the lewis I'd consider a fairly easy trick compared to the timing required to do a nice taz or a comete, which I've seen you're good at... suppose it's what route you've taken to learning tricks.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

ITBVolks

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Obi,

What I do is a std yoyo but I'll try to catch the kite as it passes through it's rotation (generally as it starts to come nose towards the flier in the wrapped position) where I'll feel the lines start to tension after the yoyo and give them a smooth draw accelerating the kites pitch through normal nose up flying position, into the turtle.

Add a smooth lazy in there and there's your Lewis... 8)

So yes, it's a second smooth input to get it into a turtle after it's rolled up. Your TC should do very nice Lewis's and yoyo multi-lazys.

Will S

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm

This is one where it is kinda kite dependent. On most kites, I have found that it is easiest if you give it a bit of help completing the yoyo. You can see what I mean in the yoyo multilazy in the beginning of my VF video, I messed up on that and so you can see where I did the input. Ideally you would not be able to see that extra input.

Some really pitchy kites, or kites that readily fall onto their back, do not need this extra input. I don't know about the SD, but the CTC does it just fine if you do a normal yoyo and allow it to continue. If you keep giving it slack, eventually it will settle into a turtle.

Once the kite is at a normal turtle depth, you can do whatever rotations you want.

As you get more used to what the kite wants, you will be better able to really work on getting it to look good. It is not an easy trick to get looking really good.

Mark E Mark

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:54 pm

This is one of my favourite tricks and you can either do it all as one – wrap, straight to lazy or wrap, pause for a moment, onto its back and lazy, or even really slow, wrap, pause, onto its back, pause, lazy. The last is a bit tricky as (you know) many kites will only sit deep enough for the lazy for a reasonably short time. Most of the time I just wrap the kite and as I take up the final slack I give a little more tension and then release allowing the kite to fall straight on it's back - make sure you haven't allowed too much slack and then one tug and you've rotated it :-). At least the above is true of my experience with Akujis and Talons.

Pierre

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Or (start low) , wrap , onto it's back , lift , halflazy , unroll to fade , lift , half barrelroll , onto it's back , lift , halflazy , to fade , lift , half barrelroll , wrap , onto it's back..........
Has nothing to do with the Lewis , but I love it !!!!

mama74

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Here, at 3:53, is how I do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWdEnWhBgFM
I know it´s not a real lewis as it starts from a fade, but you´ll get the idea of that second pop after the roll-up.

Edit: and here again, at 0:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8zpvb3GEc

Kamikaze
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 pm

I am Editing the Wiki anything you would like adding please PM me.

Sub

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:00 pm

May I ask for your help on doing this trick also?

At the start of the Lewis, are there three distinct inputs to get the kite into a yo-yo or is it just the two?

I assume there's three.
1. Stall the kite, nose slightly back (yup that's fine can do that)
2. Then a small pop to bring the nose forward. (do that too)
3. But then I think I have too much slack because there's no tension to input for the yo-yo, and it all goes horribly wrong.

So in light wind do I need to be thinking about stepping back during the 2nd input to take up the slack from that maneuver and then stepping forward for the yo-yo.

Any tips would be welcome, thank you.

Will S

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Have you worked on a yoyo before?

It is a very small input to being the kite nose towards you. If you are having problems with too much slack, take a step backwards.

You can also try getting into the yoyo from a half backspin. Start in a fade, rotate 180, and then give the yoyo pop.

benjai

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Obi,

I assume you've checked out Randy G's tutorial? I was just reviewing a few to pick out some things to work on, and noticed that the "Double Rollup" tutorial shows the second input after the first yo-yo to throw the kite around into a second really clearly. I'd guess for a Lewis, you'd just tone down this second roll-up input and hit the lazy when it's deep in the turtle.

HTH

Sub, As above, check out Randy G's tutorial. It shows the three inputs you describe quite clearly. As Will says, the input to pull the nose down and towards you should be quite small - you only want to move the nose, not pull the whole kite towards you. The timing is the tricky part as the push-pop is quite quick. You can get a feel for this by watching the "Nose Pop" method of getting into a Fade on the Trick Or Treat DVD, basically, it's the same as this but upside-down and a little lighter... How much nose-down you neet to start a good roll-up is kite and wind dependent, but all you are trying to achieve is to have the upper bridle legs slack during the roll-up input - the lower the nose, the more time you have while the nose is pitching back to release the tension and allow the roll-up to complete, but it can be done even with only a small rocking of the nose if you are fast enough and the kite like it...

Sub

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks Will and benjai for your tips.
Trick or Treat did the job - there's a couple of shots showing hand technique to pop the nose forward. After watching that, it was no problem. Now it's just down to practice.