Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

damp_weather
Topic Author

Kites for pairs in high winds with lower pull

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi,

Do you have some suggestions/recommendations for kites for pairs flying in higher winds?

Currently we are OK for low and moderate winds with sets of SUL and standard QPros. ( - Yes, all in all, we actually like QPros - relatively docile yet precise) So if it weren't for limited availability, high price, import taxes and the current pound/dollar rate - it would be natural to consider VV QPros. But the cost of these is currently astronomical.

Carl Robertshaw vented Furys are now effectively a much cheaper alternative, (even more so as we already have the first of a pair) but famous for their high pull.

Alan Pothecary let us try the Eolo Over in 26mph+ winds (with a single 15cm nappy). Lovely light pull, controllable, and sensible price. But getting Dynamic T15 and T18 spare spars for this seems impossible.

What can you recommend?
Last edited by damp_weather on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zippy8

Re: Kites for pairs in high winds with lower pull

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:59 pm

damp_weather wrote:
Do you have some suggestions/recommendations for kites for pairs flying in higher winds?

I've not flown one but I'd certainly be taking a look at an Airdynamics T4 if I were looking for just such a kite.

Kites for Pairs/Team flying tend to be on the large side so pull is always going to be an issue. I'm trialling a Challenger Sails Miróat the moment, which is supposed to be what you're looking for, but as I haven't had any wind above it's supposed minimum I can't really comment on that aspect.

Mike.

Tony S

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Pull on the vented Fury can be reduced with a bit of bridle tweaking - the more you shorten the leg to the top spreader fitting, the less pull you get. Adjustments can be quite large - common setting for Berck style 30 mph can be adjusting to 6 cm shorter than the red setting.

Also try 6mm stuffers in the bottom spreaders, with additional leading edge stuffers if you see them shaking in flight.

The Fury can have a lot of pull, but doesn't always have to !

Tony

Miles F

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Check out the Airdynamics site, Pete Taylor also makes a T4 V2 (Mega vent). I was flying a V1 at Boot Camp day 2 which was still quite heavy going. The V2 has a much greater vented area but I don't have one as yet.

Keith (Airheads) would be able to tell you more about what it's like re pull but perhaps its safe to say that the T4 is closer in character to the Q-Pro than the Fury if you want to keep the culture shock to a minimum.

Pete also does a discount for STACK members and will customize according to your requirements :-)
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Morticiaskeeper

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Airdynamics T4 V2 would be ideal. Doesn't need big inputs, but doesn't wrench your arms off.
Handler of Morticia

Airheads demo team '09

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Kites for pairs in high winds with lower pull

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:21 pm

damp_weather wrote:
getting Dynamic T15 and T18 spare spars for this seems impossible.

You can get spares via MidWest kites (a US kite shop) - I have used them several times and they have provided first class service.

http://www.midwestkites.com

Alternatively, Bilboquet sell them… http://www.bilboquet.com/pc/c2/s2W136W41/p98/kite-fabrics-and-spare-pieces-carbon-frames-various-frames.html

Nigel :cool:
Last edited by oldflyer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Peter,

Yes the T4 - V2 would be an option, last Nov the team were learning a new routine on Brean beach with them all weekend in winds from 20 to 25mph, including stalls and landings. The are definitely low pull in comparison to Fury or Matrix but they don't have the 'track on rails' attitude of the Fury.

Sorry, I should have got one out of the bag at the weekend for you to try.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:52 pm

As you already have the other sets of QPro's I'd bite the bullet and pay for the VV, no vented kite is cheap. And you'll always wonder what your missing if you don't, after all if they're good enough for world champions...........

damp_weather
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Thank you Tony for the advice. I think the next step is to play with our vented Fury and see if we can live with it.

Regarding the QPro versus T4 versus Fury - I haven't actually flown a T4, but have been close to them being flown at several festivals. They seemed a bit old-school, floaty - smoother more rounded corners than the Fury (unless you try hard) - perhaps this is why Furys generally win the competitions... For precision work, the QPro seems nearer the Fury. More precisely we have a Fury 0.85 UL Aerostuff, which does really sharp corners. The QPro standard in similar winds does even sharper corners, and I guess that the full size standard Fury would be even sharper. Having said that, your flying Miles with a T4 vented at the end of day 2 of bootcamp was really sharp.

- So I am a bit down on T4s, but could have my mind changed.

damp_weather
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Sorry folks,
I started writing the message just posted above several hours ago - so didn't see the last 3 postings. Will certainly chase up the Dynamics spars leads.

Craig wrote:
As you already have the other sets of QPro's I'd bite the bullet and pay for the VV, no vented kite is cheap. And you'll always wonder what your missing if you don't, after all if they're good enough for world champions...........

Craig! - You're actually promoting QPros! :shock: :shock:
...or is it that you just hate them for tricking?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 pm

damp_weather wrote:
Craig! - You're actually promoting QPros! :shock: :shock:
...or is it that you just hate them for tricking?

I've even owned a QPro, quite possibly one of the first in the country. So I do have experience at flying them, and for what I like doing I thought it was nasty, however that doesn't mean it's a bad kite, just one I didn't like!

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:59 pm

If you like the QPro's Peter, then you would be better off having a full set than mix and match for different winds. If the designer/manufacturer is and good (and Prism should be) then they will all feel the same across the wind range. Having to change your flying style significantly just because the wind changes is not conducive to consistent flying.

I know, it's really tough to go back and forth from Fury to T4 :-)
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

damp_weather
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice so far. I am gobsmacked.
Thank you particularly Nigel - At Midwest kites, not only did I find the Dynamic spars - so we could feel confident in using Eolo Overs, but also found they sell QPro VVs for much less than the other supplier. :-D :-D And with Biblioquet appearing to stock Dynamic spars from Eolo (or maybe pictures are deceptive), that is good too.

So: advice on adjusting the vented Fury, part suppliers for the Over, and a cheaper source for the QPro VVs. We are completely spoiled.

Many thanks,

Peter

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Glad to be of some help - I have been flying my Silver Fox 2.3 for a year now in all sorts of conditions and haven't broken a Dynamic spar yet

Miles F

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Good luck with it Peter, I guess it's one of those occasions where you never get a 100% solution. It might be better to opt for a kite that delivers a solid 80% of your requirements and work for as much of the remaining 20% as you can achieve with hours on the kites.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.