Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

edle
Topic Author

Which line do you like to fly with ?

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:32 pm

My Prism line feels very sticky after a few turn . I think I need some quality line sets.

Which flying line is your prefer line and why ?

DWayne

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 pm

I prefer Shanti spectra because its the best.

Denny
Rehab is for Quitters

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Shanti ftw.
Dave Morley

Lex B

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Or Dyneema ;-)
remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.

PLEASE......NO TAILS ....

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Usually a Climax Pro-tec person.

Tried Shanti but it didn't last as long IMO. (makes great leechlines though!)

Mark

edle
Topic Author

I'm new to stunt kite....

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Greeting to everyone here. Sorry...I should do this earlier when I posted my first thread.

I'm new to the stunt kite sport and I'm located in Canada(a little town near Toronto).

I would say this is a lonely sport. Only myself and my friend flying stunt kite in our area. We are both beginners. I wish to fly with some experienced pilots in our area(GTA Toronto). Is there anyone here live in Toronto ?

Luckily someone(like Obi, mama74) pointed me to this forum to get info. and socialize with other experienced pilots. Or I will probably bore to death and quit playing with kite.

I have a Prism Zephyr and I just received a Nirvana SE yesterday but I accidentally stepped on it when moving something and broke the right lower leading edge in 2 pieces. The SE has ZERO flying hr. ! Man! I'm so depressed :( ! Luckily the damage is fixable or I will kill myself.

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 pm

By a clear margin, Climax Protec has been the best sport kite line I have tried. I've used various brands of Spectra lines over the years - Shanti, Laser Pro, Prism, unbranded - and all of them deteriorate faster than the Protec
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

edle
Topic Author

Where to buy flying line in bulk ?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:09 am

I would like to try the Climax Protec Red. Is there any place that I can buy it in bulk ?

Thanks.....

Sub

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 am

I've used Climax Protec before and it's lasted the longest without sticking. In fact they snapped before they started to stick.
I bought some yellow Protec Professional lines and they've started to stick within 10 or so uses so I'd avoid those if you don't like sticky lines.

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Where to buy flying line in bulk ?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:32 am

edle wrote:
I would like to try the Climax Protec Red. Is there any place that I can buy it in bulk ?

Thanks.....

If you google "Protec kite line", you'll find the UK distributor. I ordered on line and had it shipped to Australia. Fantastic service and quick delivery - 1 week
Kevin Sanders

Willunga

South Australia

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:24 am

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
Usually a Climax Pro-tec person.

Tried Shanti but it didn't last as long IMO. (makes great leechlines though!)

Had completely the opposite experience, my Protec snapped after only a few hours.

Shanti is competition proven and has been the best for at least 15 years, that's why we sell it :cool:

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 am

Emkay used to import Climax.

http://www.kites4u.co.uk/
Dave Morley

axelant

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:01 pm

My last set was LaserPro Gold and they were lovely. Personally I'm not good enough to tell the difference between that and Shanti which I have now because I could buy it through the FA shop! (Great service and competative prices - what more could you ask for?)
David

si quid valet facere, valet male facere

kitegem

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:59 am

Shanti.

Tried Protec Red. Didn't hold up for very long. Seemed somewhat stretchy. Wasn't horrible just meh.

LPG. Terrific line. Prone to kinking in lighter weights. Not good in a beach environment. Tends to pick up grit. Lots of wraps when its new. Not so much when it gets grotty.

Laser Pro Comp. Not as many wraps as LPG but lovely hand and better in harsh conditions.

Berry Blue. Quality all over the map. Had a nice set of 200s once. Not a favorite. Why use it when you can get Shanti 90lb which is thinner, stronger, slicker and lasts longer than BB 75lb.?

Shanti is the best overall IMO.

Not sure how much longer they'll be around though. The owner's getting up there. I hope Shanti will continue for a long time. Good stuff.

Zippy8

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:29 am

kitegem wrote:
Shanti.

Just a Q:-

obviously you've had more cause to try these lines out than some others but even given that Shanti are "the best" is the difference enough to worry about ?

I've got a motley collection of lines of many types and vintages and I'm not convinced that I'd be too fussed over choosing one set of 150# lines over another. I like the Climax Professionals (and I'll probably buy them next if/when I need more lines) but I've got Shanti, Laser Pro Gold and a bunch of Cyclonetoo. Just so long as they are equalised and undamaged I'll happily use anything. Keep 'em clean and recoat them, they all seem to last.

Seriously though... am I missing out on something here ?

Mike.