Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Thomas*
Topic Author

Advice on Rising Cascades?

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:04 am

I am working on getting my cascades to rise! Can you offer any advice, pls.?

Falling and stationary is no problem, but rising is only random...

On the Prism video, they say it depends on how quickly you pull out after the axle input, whether it sinks or falls. In an old post on gwtw Ron G (respect!) says that you should normally wait a little longer after the axel input and make the following pop up move a bit stronger.

What is your experience?

I guess steady medium winds are easiest to learn in, ore lower winds on an UL? I am flying Qpros mainly, but remembers that the Mantis tuned with a narrow keel seems easier to get into rising cascades.

bensontwins

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:13 pm

You need to keep the nose a little higher.
to go down nose to 4 and 8 o'clock
to go up nose to 2 and 10 o'clock

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:23 pm

ABW tried to explain them in Flying Techniques, but I never understood what he was going on about.

I've done the odd 'fountain' by accident, but maybe Lars' description might help.

Quite embaressing for a cascade veteran :oops:

Mark

Zippy8

Re: Advice on Rising Cascades?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:24 am

Thomas* wrote:
I am working on getting my cascades to rise! Can you offer any advice, pls.?

Naturally you've read, reviewed and digested this first ? :-s

Fountain
This is a series of half axels like the cascade but this one does not lose altitude like the cascade, but actually stays stationary* and/or rises up! This one is a combination of the 1/2 axel series (cascades) along with a "pop up" move. The easiest way to learn this one is to practice the cascade a lot. You will soon learn that in between 1/2 axels (cascades) you give the rotating wing a slight "pop" with an arm motion that goes from neutral up and out, which helps it along and actually pulls that wing up, similar to the pop up move from a pancaked position. You will find that timing and adjusting that according to wind speed is very crucial. This "pop up" move is also similar to the one used in the continuous axel.

It's been a while since I've tried anything more than a few rungs (splashes ?) of a Fountain. It's not that difficult to gain altitude with a Half Axel but making it look uncrap is a bugger, probably moreso for me as I tend to single-pop Cascades but Fountains need that staccato pop-POP action, pulling the kite firmly out of the Half Axel. It does my head in. :banging:

Mike.
* That's a Puddle.

RoyReed

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 am

A Fountain is definitely easier on some kites than others. It's a while since I've flown my Gem, but in a medium wind it was easier to do a Fountain than a Cascade. In fact I had to walk forward quite fast to get the kite to come down. It's not quite so easy with a Deep Space (although still very do-able) and harder still with an Exile where you have to be quite aggressive to make the kite rise.

There's another variation on this - keeping the same height and travelling horizontally across the window (River).
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:08 am

At 2:00...the 'river'. Sweet...should have known it would have a name.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Thomas*
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Thanks a lot :D

It seems I have to experiment with nose positions, timing of the "pull out" tug/pop and the aggressiveness of this :shock: Quite a few factors for my restricted coordination skills :shock:

Maybe I should cheat a little and get back to the lovely Mantis for a while to see if the trick comes easier with her 8)

tunemx

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:38 am

And.... what is the difference between normal/oldschool (choose your preference) and french style cascade?

Aeri

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:15 am

what helped me a lot is starting slow... making the kite drop (cascade)
then just make every half axel just a bit faster and pulling just a bit earlyer then the last one. you'll see the kite go from losing hight to stabelising in place and if you get the rythm right... rising again. its all about timing
Old school was a great school

Zippy8

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:39 am

tunemx wrote:
And.... what is the difference between normal/oldschool

Single pop Half Axel - leisurely, relaxed, mellow. Flowing. Go back to the very source of Freestyle flying, the Stranger and Tricky Flickery videos, and observe.

and french style cascade?

Two pop Half Axel - one hand to start the move, the other to haul it out. Harder, faster, better (?), stronger. Probably more suited to transitioning into Rising Cascades (and Cométes).

There is also the AudioRob version which claims to have three pops per Half Axel although quite where that extra pop is (or where Rob is) I simply don't know.

Mike.

tunemx

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:16 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Go back to the very source of Freestyle flying, the Stranger and Tricky Flickery videos, and observe.

I'd like to. Is it accessible anywhere?

BTW I learned the classic one-pop Cascade first, and then moved to the two-pop, however I always thought that the french one is the one is when the kite's nose is clicking between 5 and 7 o'clock during the trick...

Zippy8

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:31 pm

tunemx wrote:
I'd like to. Is it accessible anywhere?

What am I, your personal Google now ? :P

Part 1 and part 2.

I might see about getting out the old TF VHS and digitising it. Don't hold your breath though.

Mike.

Thomas*
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Getting better now. :-)

I find it easier to get a rising cascade started in some wind, eg. 10mph/15kmh when flying a std...

The key for me has been to give slack *very fast* after the first input to flatten out the kite. I am using the "2 pop method" by the way.