gusty wind blues

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 am

Hi guys
steve here from melbourne and ga-day to everyone on the forum,
new to the forum but have been flying now for about a year and have
owned prism kites mostley,
i just got myself a krystal fx and what an amazing kite,
the thing that get me is every time i go out to trick and the wind is a bit
gusty i find it impossible to do any tricks, dose anyone else have this problem or is tricking for smooth wind only? :(
kite bag
*krystal fx
*Genisis evo1

adicakes
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 am

Hi. :-)

I'm from Melbourne too and currently flying a KFX down at Moran Reserve, Elwood most weekends. Drop down if you can, the more the merrier.

Regards,

Adrian.

windows fx
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:36 am

:-D cool il try to get down there soon,
i have the ul version and found putting a small socket where the spine go,s into the nose as a weight helped for snap lazys going into fade
kite bag

*krystal fx

*Genisis evo1

Mark E Mark

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 am

Flying in gusty conditions is always a pain in the ass IMHO.

windows fx
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 am

anather question i have is whats the best length of line in feet to trick
with in average wind conditions i find with 75 feet i dont have much control over the kite?
kite bag

*krystal fx

*Genisis evo1

StuartB

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 pm

I think it's a personal thing, but the longer the lines the more time you have to do stuff (like missing the ground) and the more you can pack in to the part of the wind window that you want to fly in. You also get the opportunity to fly further off the ground, where the wind may be steadier.

On the other hand, longer lines mean longer walks and it can be hard to spot where the lines are if the kite is too far away (I think most people would recommend short-ish lines for practising groundwork). Also I find that with kites that are light on the lines it seems that they get less responsive on longer lines (but maybe lighter lines and a better awareness of what I am doing with my feet would help here).

I fly on 25m as standard (a little longer than your imperial lines) and go down to 15 or 16 metres when space is tight, as at fly-ins and festivals. On the other hand I have recently started to fly a larger (2.5m) kite and with that I am using longer lines, 33m or 37m, when I have the time and space. It's really satisfying to get so much done in one pass across the window; it seems to never end!