Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

stumpy
Topic Author

taz machine et al

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:06 am

First time....Long time......

I've been working on the Taz Machine. I'm having a tough time pulling it off.

Has anyone here able to do it with a SeaDevil? I find that when I try during the rotation, the kite goes on its belly :(

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tried and video'd a Taz Machine Cascade? I'd love to see that!

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: taz machine et al

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:53 am

stumpy wrote:
I find that when I try during the rotation, the kite goes on its belly :(

Isn't it supposed to be on it's belly? It's supposed to be a rotation like a 540, on it's belly.
Jason.

audiorob

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 am

stumpy wrote:
First time....Long time......

I've been working on the Taz Machine. I'm having a tough time pulling it off.

Has anyone here able to do it with a SeaDevil? I find that when I try during the rotation, the kite goes on its belly :(

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tried and video'd a Taz Machine Cascade? I'd love to see that!

For me the sea devil is incredibly hard to do it on set stock. If you remove some of the tailweight it becomes much easier, but everything else on the kite becomes much harder.

Mohawk XS video has taz machine cascades in it http://khite.org/pivot/entry.php?id=21 so does this nirvana video http://kitebox.com/video/video.asp?videoID=619
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:59 am

Even better, place some of the tailweight in the wing tips. (Also a tip I got from Rob.)

You need to think of the 540, slotmachine, and the taz machine as all starting from the same set up position, and the taz as being the hardest of the three to set up. So far, I get super flat slots and 540s...and the occasional taz. I find a bit higher up than the slot is easier.

Rob's tips from his old tutorial are what got me to a 10 percent success rate on my devils. On my SUL and Light it's the easiest. But I am not consistent yet. Bjorn is much better on his Nirvana.

And if Rob says it's hard for him...it's really hard for me. But it's a very quick pull the moment you feel it hit the position, followed by loads of slack, taken up immediately after the 540.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

audiorob

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:14 am

Most sea devil's already have wingtip weight btw. 3 grams per side IIRC.

Like obi said, SUL's (and light UL's) are the easiest to learn it on.

--

basic taz movements:

flying left to right.
It helps if right before the trick you turn upwards very slightly
Small, sharp input with right hand quickly followed by the same input with the left hand.

Toss your left hand forward, and keep your right hand back. You should look like you're about to do a right hand dominant slot machine. Right hand will have tension on the light, left hand not.

STOP

WAIT

No, really.. WAIT.

Keep waiting.

The nose will flare up past 'belly flat'

KEEP WAITING

The whole body of the kite will start to turn. The left wingtip (which is connected to your right hand) will be higher than the right wingtip.

Give a large, firm pull with the right hand and then give slack like the lines are on fire.

Keep giving slack...

Step forward and give some more.

(if you skip this step, you'll likely do a taz machine.. but a very ugly one.)

Then pull back and fly away.

Last video I released you can see me physically doing a taz machine in low wind with the Spike XS std.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IBNk6toO8_g
Maybe that will help you a bit. There are a few taz machines in there and the one you're looking for is at about 4:24.

On the sea devil the main thing to getting the taz machine, in the relatively low success I've had (so just assume I could very well be wrong please), is you have to wait an unusually long time for the 'tilt' of the kite before you can begin the spin. If you're too early then you'll end up in a turtle.

RoyReed

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:35 pm

Have you seen RandyG's Taz Machine tutorial?

http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

stumpy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Jason wrote:
stumpy wrote:
I find that when I try during the rotation, the kite goes on its belly :(

Isn't it supposed to be on it's belly? It's supposed to be a rotation like a 540, on it's belly.

Sorry, I meant the kite goes on its back....

Thanks for all the input, I doubt I'll change weight just to get one trick while messing up the feel of the kite with other tricks. I've got the slot machine and the 540 cold. I'll keep working on the Taz.

Infinitive

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm having trouble with this one too.. I pulled off a couple on my Vented Akuji (much to my amazement), but I can't get it the XTs.

With the Transfer I can get the nose nice and high, but when I pull the input for the flatspin I end up with an oblique insane/lazy susan manouvre, which in itself looks quite cool if done well, but isn't what I'm going for.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

audiorob

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:44 pm

Infinitive wrote:
I'm having trouble with this one too.. I pulled off a couple on my Vented Akuji (much to my amazement), but I can't get it the XTs.

With the Transfer I can get the nose nice and high, but when I pull the input for the flatspin I end up with an oblique insane/lazy susan manouvre, which in itself looks quite cool if done well, but isn't what I'm going for.

That's happens when your spinning hand slacks, and when you pull too early.

jimstl

Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:26 am

audiorob wrote:

That was a cool video, Thank you! 8)