Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Pushing the limits...in BE

Thu May 31, 2007 7:34 pm

I have been holding this in since Zeebrugge. To a certain extent, I was sworn to secrecy. I think I avoid any trouble spots here. But while at Zeebrugge TP, I heard and saw some things I wouldn't have believed...and still don't.

For one, in winds in excess of 25 mph sustained...sometimes way in excess of 30 mph...I saw Christian Derefat do yo-fades. I also saw on more than one occasion a yo-yo cynique (single change of direction variety).

I also heard claims that the same could pull off these two as yet unseen by me tricks:

1. yo-copter (crazy copter with a wrap before the spin)

2. double yo-fade (two wraps)

On this site, I have also heard of a "meat cleaver" version of the wap-do-wap, I think?

(First question) Just wondering what your thoughts/experiences/ideas are about/with/pertaining to pushing further into tricks. Where are you guys?

(Follow up question) How much of this will be kite driven vs. pilot driven?

obi

(It should be noted for the record that I am just now getting rungs of the JL together.)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

audiorob

Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 pm

Video soon with a crazy 540 in it (540 with 1 crazy copter wrap) and crazy copter coming from a yo-fade setup (as I was mocked for describing in the wiki).... in 22mph winds

I've done double crazy copters before on the le virus, but they're quite wind dependant.

double yo-fade doesn't sound impossible either... I can manage 1.5x on the new mohawk and the cesium but I cant remember ever getting further.

A lot of that kind of stuff is pretty easy if you setup the kite right.. but you start to lose a lot of other stuff quickly.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm

This is all so last year. The yoyo comete is where it's at. Also, wrapping both ways. Ie, out of a wrap then continue wrapping up the other way into a yo fade. I have seen this done almost to a yo fade backspin. Also the 3 pop comete or asteroid is a current fave. I find wrapped stuff and yo whatever quite boring. It's not true freestyle it's just doing something because it's hard. I like a much more taz tastic style.
Jason.

Bugly

Thu May 31, 2007 11:27 pm

oh boy a pissing contest - let me get my popcorn :D

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 pm

What does BE in the thread title mean and why did you feel the need to abbreviate whatever it is?

I really hate abbreviations. Great, you saved 2 seconds of typing but the rest of us now waste ages trying to figure out what the fuck it all means. I have read and re read your post and can see no clue.
Last edited by Jason on Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu May 31, 2007 11:32 pm

Look, just ignore the French guys, it makes you feel like a decent flier if you do! :lol:

Mark

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 pm

BElgium

Infinitive

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 am

Jason wrote:
It's not true freestyle it's just doing something because it's hard. I like a much more taz tastic style.

I agree with that.

The other freestlye sport that I have experience of - skateboarding - went through a faze in the early ninties of ultra-tech tricks: hard tricks because they are hard, forgetting smooth, beautiful and fun tricks. Luckily skating recovered from the dark days of ultra-tech, and modern skating is smooth and expressive.

I'm sure double yo-fades etc are possible, but - like the triple kickflip - they are just a gimmick when it comes to true freestyle.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

audiorob

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:21 am

Infinitive wrote:
Jason wrote:
It's not true freestyle it's just doing something because it's hard. I like a much more taz tastic style.

I agree with that.

The other freestlye sport that I have experience of - skateboarding - went through a faze in the early ninties of ultra-tech tricks: hard tricks because they are hard, forgetting smooth, beautiful and fun tricks. Luckily skating recovered from the dark days of ultra-tech, and modern skating is smooth and expressive.

I'm sure double yo-fades etc are possible, but - like the triple kickflip - they are just a gimmick when it comes to true freestyle.

Yeah, because skating really started to become MORE popular after the 90's.

kareloh

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:41 am

Yeah, Obi means Belgium and Yeah, we were stunned by Christian's flying in ridiculous windspeeds. He was pulling off crazy stuff and finished 2nd in the TP contest.

I agree with Al, but skateboarding really did benefit from this ultra-tech era. People are not doing the Pressure-, Frontfoot- and Under-flips anymore, but still very technical + big and clean. (BTW: yesterday i went to check out mr. Danny Way and the rest of the Plan B team in a skatepark, but the local kids where ripping it up, all flip in/out tricks on the handrails)

For freestyle kite flying it works the same way IMHO, respect to the guys who explore the boundaries of freestyle flying and to all that are jealous ... take your 5pt's out of your kite knit a beanie from your lines... but please stop nagging! :P

Eddie Green

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:00 am

I did a really nice double axel today. Totally surprised me. No idea what the re-framed Tribal is doing half the time, the bridle need adjusting and it makes me cry as much as it makes me laugh.

Sorry where were we?

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:19 am

Geez, I agree with Carlo, I guess. I never thought anyone would be annoyed by the post.

First off, yo-yo's are boring when you are either really good or just really cocky. I guess Jason is really good. But you sound a bit like a snob. I am sure being part of the handful of pilots that can say yo-yo's are boring is a great place to be, but not what I was looking for. I for one am glad I am not so far as to find yo-yo based tricks boring, since you could conceivably do anything yo-yo'd up. Shit, I hope I never get so far as to find yo-yo tricks boring.

Asteroid...that's very old, isnt' it? The asteroid is what three-pop cascaders start with when they learn the comete...some never even learn the two-pop cheap comete. That sounds like a bit of piss for sure.

And the whole comment about "hard" tricks versus freestyle tricks is just plain lame. Sorry to say it, but to a beginner/intermediate, this sounds really dumb to me. Yo-yo's can be made to flow better than perhaps any other trick, esp. in combinations (watch Erich Vogel fly, for example). I think it's just very hard to make yo-yo's and yo-yo based moves flow. Funny that you would see a yo-yo as not flowing relative to a taz machine...I think they just flow in different planes.

So, any one have some other comments on the latest and coolest moves being practiced?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

audiorob

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 am

Obtuse much?

He was being very sarcastic.

Bodyflight

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:44 am

I thought kiting was a "do what you want as long as you have fun" sport...

The best trick in the world is the one that makes you giggle out load because the fact you pulled it off/made it look nice/didn't break anything totally surprised you. Doesn't matter what it was.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 am

I wouldn't say I was either really good or really cocky, all I was saying is that I find doing a yoyo version of the same trick a bit boring because I think it's just being done for the sake of it a lot of the time. Doesn't mean I can actually do it myself either, so no snobbery intended. Sorry if I sounded snobby, there was a certain degree of sarcasm in my post. The start where I said something was soo last year was a bit of a clue. I just can't see the point of spending 3 hours of valuable flying time practicing something just so that I can say, "yeah, I can do a wrapped super flip fandango."
ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Asteroid...that's very old, isnt' it? The asteroid is what three-pop cascaders start with when they learn the comete...some never even learn the two-pop cheap comete. That sounds like a bit of piss for sure.

So, again, I ask you, are you only doing things or being impressed by things because they are hard to do? Or are you doing things because they feel nice and they feel right and they make you feel connected? This is what I'm getting at. I can watch someone fly for 10 minutes doing variations of the ladder and putting in wraps and taking them out and it does nothing for me. Then I can watch someone just doing axle cascades for 10 minutes but as soon as I see that they took that cheeky double axel when the chance arose I know that they're far more connected with what they're doing.
ObijuanKenobe wrote:
And the whole comment about "hard" tricks versus freestyle tricks is just plain lame. Sorry to say it, but to a beginner/intermediate, this sounds really dumb to me. Yo-yo's can be made to flow better than perhaps any other trick, esp. in combinations (watch Erich Vogel fly, for example). I think it's just very hard to make yo-yo's and yo-yo based moves flow. Funny that you would see a yo-yo as not flowing relative to a taz machine...I think they just flow in different planes.

I've not seen him fly but if he can keep the flow going while still wrapping up then he must be very good. I think this is quite rare.
ObijuanKenobe wrote:
So, any one have some other comments on the latest and coolest moves being practiced?

Keep asking for opinions. You're bound to hear some you agree with eventually. But in answer to your first question
ObijuanKenobe wrote:
(First question) Just wondering what your thoughts/experiences/ideas are about/with/pertaining to pushing further into tricks. Where are you guys?

I'm not interested in just doing it for the sake of it.
Jason.