Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

tspdk
Topic Author

Comete trick

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi

Is there any one out there that have a "step by step" how to preform the Comete trick. :-D

I realy want to learn it.

I hope that someone can help me. 8)

Best regards
Thomas
www.KiteBox.Com
www.DragePortal.DK

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 pm

Dave Morley

paul1969

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:06 pm

then practice, then re-read, then practice some more, then re-read again, practice yet again, throw your hands up in despair, give up on the comet and go back to a trick you can do, re-read the thread, try again, and eventually you will slowly start working your way through the various steps, i'm at about three and three quarters consistently, four every now and then and all the way back to one once in a blue moon... i think you get the general idea. but i have found with a lot of the more complicated tricks taking a break from them helps rather than non-stop practicising and endless frustration, it takes the fun out of flying
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:19 pm

Just go out on a windy day, fly the kite with the nose pointing 45 degrees to the right (halfway between the 1 and 2 o'clock positions) and then starting with the right arm, just pump your arms as fast as you can, right, left, right, left. If it doesn't work, you're probably not doing it quick enough.
Jason.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

LMAO @ Jason's advice. :lol:

Is that how you learned it?

Juha

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:40 pm

Yup, and it's worked for others too. :jive:
I find it doesn't work if you try and analyze what's going on at the same time.
Jason.

jr

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I had Jason, Craig and ABW all trying to teach me the comete:

"That's it!" they would say

"What was?" I'd reply

"That was!" they'd chorus

And so it went on......

This may help:
http://bensontwins.khite.org/cometeexplained.wmv

A nice explanation from Lars and Paul.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Jason wrote:
I find it doesn't work if you try and analyze what's going on at the same time.

No doubt you can learn to do the comete that way - it's at least as much about rhythm as it is about looking at what the kite is doing. However, I'd still go with the more methodical approach of splitting the trick into (four) parts when learning.

If you intend to start doing tricks like one-rotation comete cascades at some point, you need to be able to see what you're actually doing anyway to reverse the rotation at the correct point. Maybe that comes with time even if you originally learned the comete with the method Jason describes - I'm not sure. But I do suspect that it's much easier to achieve more control over the trick later on if you familiarise yourself with the "theory" of it right from the start.

Juha

tspdk
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks to you all.

I will try and read and try and read !!

//Thomas

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:45 pm

Hmmm. What Jason said is funny but that's exactly what happened to me one day. That is, 1 full comete rotation from a moment silly arm flapping in a wind speed that (at the time) was frustrating me!

I thought wow, I learned the comete without even trying :D. Actually, I hadn't :?. Repeating it yeilded nothing except a very rapid axel to fade, but it made me want to learn it all the more.

Paul1969's description sounds very familiar! It is a really elusive trick and I think most people will say it's one of, if not the hardest one they've learned.

Now that I can perform this on-demand (anti-clockwise only :( ), a small peice of advice I can give you is this:

Your first axel-pop should be a nice flat one and it helps to allow the kite to rotate around a little longer than you think before going into the rhythm of pops. Some might not agree perhaps, but I've personally found that this yields the best results from a starting perspective.
A flatter first axel makes the kite spin easier because there's less wind resistence. If you don't allow the kite to go completely flat, you seem to be fighting the wind from that point onwards and the rotations become lumpy, ugly and lack speed and finesse. When the rotations are flat and smooth, that's when you get that feeling that the kite is 'rolling through your hands' and miraculously becomes effortless.

Listen to me! :shocked:, I'm actually sounding like I know what I'm talking about :lol:

Hope that helps, but you simply must practice this one an awful lot in order to reach those little 'breakthrough' points. As previously stated, when it becomes frustrating forget it and enjoy the stuff you can do. Then keep going back for a 5 or 10 minute session of experimenting with the trick.

It'll come eventually, but it's a SOB to learn but very satisfying to execute.

Mark (I'm really not happy about having to learn it all again in a clock-wise direction :( )

:lol:

Popeye

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Yea I think Jason and Mark are right when they say don't think to much about it. I found also, that a slightly longer gap between the very first pull and the rest does seem to work. I'm far from having it nailed but it is coming together Slooowly and I am practising it with both hands, I don't want the nightmare I had with the 540 when it came to do it with the left hand, as Mark said on Sunday it's like turning your guitar over and playing it the other way round. :-)

That's assuming you can play the guitar in the first place.
Last edited by Popeye on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aerialis

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:37 pm

Nailing the Comète took me two years!

Here are some good guidelines that might take you there quicker.
Sven A
--
AERIALIS Kites
http://kites.aerialis.no/

randyg

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:09 pm

With kite straps in hand and kite pointing at either the 3:00 or 9:00 position:

Step 1. Set your pants on fire.

Step 2. Put the fire out with your hands.

That's the Comete. :P

I'm running out of pants trying to learn this trick. :shock:
Randy
My Blog

grantyg

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:04 pm

I have been trying for ages and I`m feeling more wind is the key or walking back, I think the learning block is that the majority of freestyle manouvres are slack line whilst this is more preesure???
I`m off to a wedding and tried tying a windsor knot but to no avail and following the internet guidelines on windsor knots it is just like trying to nail a comete!

jo

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:52 pm

So from reading Jasons comments would you say Andy Savidges avatar is performing a comete?