Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:20 pm

jo wrote:
So from reading Jasons comments would you say Andy Savidges avatar is performing a comete?

no question, in fact I believe the boy in the vid is in fact Richard Debray's younger brother !

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Although I thought extra inertia would help, lately I find I'm getting smoother continuous cometes with less weight on the tail. Does anyone else find this?

As for learning it, I found analyzing the 4 steps of the trick helped me nail 1 iteration but ignoring the steps (and the kite) and just concentrating on the rythm has been the key to stringing them together.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Yay-ski! Managed a couple of clock-wise rotations today, but it looked so weird going the other way round that it totally threw my concentration :lol:

Maybe I should just ban myself from doing cometes unless they're clock-wise? Yeah right, quitting smoking will probably be easier :lol:

I agree Ian, learning the rhythm of it is key, it all happens so quickly that learning the 'feel' is something to get into early after studying the steps.

Mark

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:31 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
As for learning it, I found analyzing the 4 steps of the trick helped me nail 1 iteration but ignoring the steps (and the kite) and just concentrating on the rythm has been the key to stringing them together.

Yeah. On most comete-capable kites, the 4 steps that the trick is usually broken into only really apply to the first iteration - after that, trying to force the kite into the positions determined in the "4 step approach" gets you a comete lacking the smoothness that the trick should ideally have. You're fighting the kite instead of letting it flow by. This is exactly what I did wrong for quite some time.

However, there are exceptions. The key to a succesful comete on the Masque, for instance, is to start each iteration from the same position - i.e. with the nose pointing more or less at 11 or 1 o'clock, depending on which hand you're starting with. But as I said, the exceptions are few in number and the "rhythm-based" approach will work in 95% of the kites where the comete is possible.

Juha

elchiquitin

Re: Comete trick

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:16 pm

NEW TUTORIAL FOR THE COMETE:

I have convinced a friend of mine to let me film "the comete" for a short tutorial to my web page (Sorry link will be operative past 22:00 5th Nov) http://www.elchiquitin.com/tricks-grupo-4/comete/ "Escuela de Vuelo de Cometas Acrobaticas " Open project, you can find there the new tutorial, apologize for some not accurate or not sharp images but it was improvised. Do not worry about language, This video is DUAL filmed, english and spanish.

Next time, if I am able to convince the pilot again, I will try to zoom a little bit more to see his hands, but it is hard to
combinate images with only one camera.

I hope it will be usefull for you.

Pepe
Elchiquitin

fourmatic

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Hard trick to explain..maebe it is better to understand what kind of comete you want to learn first..

here is a new school one..maebe this vid will be usefull for you..
Imagine this trick in your mind first.! How long, and fast etc.. :!:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fourmatic4? ... CPUewY-Uks

Key elements:

1 step--stall
2 step--flare(important one) :!:
3step ---rotation( no need too much thinking about when you must to pop your line next) just let the kite go.. :idea:

Regards,

:-D

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 am

Not sure about that video.

While I think you are making good progress, your comete is often not controlled at all. You should be able to make the rotations appear identical and perfectly vertical. You often let the nose go too far away and the kite rolls out of control to a random angle. This is technically not quite there yet.

Other folks can correct me if I am wrong. I would go so far as to say that you'd have alot of trouble on some kites getting your technique to work because you are not controlling your slack as well as you should.

Just tips and critique...keep on keepin' on!

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci