Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Gladders
Topic Author

Roll bars?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:32 pm

I've been considering a new Benson and was attracted to the outer space rather than the deep space because I thought the roll bars on the DS looked a bit technical. Then I read on a thread on here that "roll bars ... are a great advantage on any kite particularly for a beginner".

Why?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Roll bars?

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:22 am

They are not technical at all . The roll bars help to catch the line on roll ups and really help when you move on to multiple roll ups. With the lines safely caught up in the roll bars you will have a lot more control of the kite while the kite is wrapped up. Secondly the roll bars may help to reinforce the sail stopping it from getting compressed during the roll up. The Deep Space is a proven quality trick kite. Go for it. The roll bars in my opinion are an escential bit of kit.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Flying Fish

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 am

No disrespect to the Outer Space, but the Deep Space is the better kite.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 am

I might be wrong about this but didnt Tim Benson invent the roll bars?
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

711jrp

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

Hawkerhunter wrote:
I might be wrong about this but didnt Tim Benson invent the roll bars?

Yes he did, but I'm sure AW is going to claim some credit Lol
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Gladders
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

honchoboy

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
The roll bars in my opinion are an essential bit of kit.

Lol, Steve you have spent too much time on the Talon. We will try and take the stabilisers off in 2019 ;)

The roll bars do a great job a catching, and you can tell they reduce the risk of sail collapse in multi-rollups. I find the Superfly being one of worst for this happening.

However I prefer R-sky yoyo fittings for catching the line on my builds. The Kitehouse ones aren't too bad either.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

BlueSkyBry

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:39 am

Gladders,
I bought a DS a few months back as my first serious kite. Never looked back, it’s an absolute pleasure to fly. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladders
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm

BlueSkyBry wrote:
Gladders,
I bought a DS a few months back as my first serious kite. Never looked back, it’s an absolute pleasure to fly. Go for it.

Thanks Bry. I've just come in from forty minutes with my Quantum and I couldn't do a thing. Hopeless. The wind was quite high so stalls and slides are that bit harder, but honestly, what a shambles. I don't know if a better kite would make it easier or just be a more expensive frustration.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Without a doubt a good quality kite is going to help tremendously in learning what is a complex and difficult discipline. You cant compare the quality and performance of a Prism Quantum with that of a Benson DS, they are not even in the same ball park and you will at some point need to upgrade. Believe me, I have enough Prisms to know. That said, it is always difficult trying to trick in strong winds, you just cant get the slack in quick enough for many of the tricks. Choose a day with lower winds and don't get despondent.
Steve

In the bag

Gladders
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Without a doubt a good quality kite is going to help tremendously in learning what is a complex and difficult discipline.

For sure. I'm surprised the second hand market isn't more lively. Maybe it's the time of year?

BlueSkyBry

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am

I was in exactly the same position, not long ago. I was looking for a second hand DS for quite a while and very little came up. You won’t often find a used one as people don’t want to let go of them and like to have one in the bag. It’s a real good all rounder.
Not cheap certainly, but an investment in the long run as you won’t need to upgrade again anytime soon. There’s some great clips on YouTube from DS owners all around the globe. Have a look to see what the kites capable of in the right hands - very impressive!