Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

smr
Topic Author

Alternative ballet kite

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:29 pm

I am looking for a precision kite to use in individual ballet next year. I have a nirvana, which seems to wobble after sharp turns. I put this down to the weight in the tail. I also have a Matrix that I love, but I am really after something different. Something that no one else is flying. I was thinking of an R-Sky Krystal or a Prism Prophecy.
So my question is has any body flown either of these kites because I haven’t. I would like to know a little more about them before making a choice. I should really fly one as well, but finding somebody with one could prove difficult. The one big problem I see with these kites is that there is only one version of them ( no UL or vented ). Is there anything else I should consider or should I just fly my nirvana without the weight ? :?
Steve Rayner

I understand a FURY in your words,
But not the words.

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:31 pm

Our own Mr Phelps has a Krystal I believe.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Alternative ballet kite

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:37 pm

smr wrote:
The one big problem I see with these kites is that there is only one version of them ( no UL or vented ).

There are vented and UL versions of the Krystal. Not "official" (at least not yet), but they do exist. Here's a photo of the Krystal HW:

http://www.r-sky.com/newsletter/newsletter_02_04.htm

Juha

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:52 pm

Steve, definitely *not* the Krystal. Trust me on that. I thought the same when I bought it (fly something that no-one else has). If you want to go down this line, then perhaps something German? Marcel Mehler looked very good with the JTM (I think) at Eurocup, and there is of course the Tsumami that we all tried up at Coventry. I believe that Jeremy has managed to improve it, but it was already pretty good I thought.

Ref the precision wiggle, do you use dynamic bridles with the Nirvana? Change to the team bridle and you will definitely notice the difference in precision performance. As a novice in formal competition, and if you have already invested in Nirvanas, I would work on developing them first, the European Champion cannot be wrong after all. Perhaps there are some technical details ref your technique that we can work on at a coaching session.

ps. If you buy a JTM (I think that is what it is called), can I have a go?
Andy

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:56 pm

Ah, it was a JTM. Check out the EC2004 website for a photo;
www.designkites.com/ec2004
Andy

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:02 am

I reckon I know just what you need.

;)

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:16 am

I have just sold a Prophecy. It had good precision but isn't anywhere near as tricky as a Nirvana so you may feel a bit limited with it.
Both the tsunami and Evo's imo are certainly not in the same league as say a T2 (thinking about it the T2 solo may be an option as well) for cutting square corners and are quite quick, though they are both in my favourite kite list. In america the Blue Moon range of kites are very highly thought of for ballet espescially the mamba, mojo and mako which blieve it or not I have at this moment for sale :cool: . The Mojo is more precise, the Mamba more ballet (and is available in UL and Vented) and the mako is the predecessor to the MSE and is a quicker fly.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Phillip

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:12 am

jrharrold wrote:
I
Both the tsunami and Evo's imo are certainly not in the same league as say a T2 (thinking about it the T2 solo may be an option as well) for cutting square corners and are quite quick, though they are both in my favourite kite list.

For individual you also have the T2 Solo reveiwed on Khite recently. It comes in standard and vented and, being Airdynamics, you get to choose your colour scheme.

smr
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:19 pm

Steve, definitely *not* the Krystal. Trust me on that.

That’s a relief because it is very expensive.
I do have the dynamic bridle on the Nirvana. I did try the 3 point but found it needed a lot more wind to get it going. Might have to try the team bridle.

mamba, mojo and mako which blieve it or not I have at this moment for sale

Jeremy what colour is the Mamba; I don’t want all three, but might be interested in just the Mamba. How much would you accept for it? It would be different, haven’t seen any being flown over here.

For individual you also have the T2 Solo . It comes in standard and vented and, being Airdynamics, you get to choose your colour scheme.

I have flown the T2 solo ( thanks to Ed for that ) and I did like it very much. I thought of it more of a trick kite and didn’t think of using it for ballet. The price is very good for a kite of that quality
Steve Rayner

I understand a FURY in your words,

But not the words.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:50 pm

aphelps wrote:
Steve, definitely *not* the Krystal. Trust me on that.

What's wrong with it then? :shock:

Juha

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:04 pm

Steve,
The Mamba is red white and blue. Crisp colours , looks good in the sky. I'd prefer to sell the three together and the price it is a genuine bargain (see what Dave says in the sale thread), but drop me a line in a week and if they haven't gone I'll see what I can do.
Jeremy

Stratford upon Avon

England

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 pm

What's wrong with it then?

Good point Juha. I do not know. Do you have one? If so, what are your bridle measurements? I have tried various, but am time limited at the moment. I so want this kite to work for me, but it is a battle at the moment.
:?
Andy

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:52 pm

aphelps wrote:
Do you have one?

I wish... :)
If you ever decide you want to part with the kite, let me know...

I so want this kite to work for me, but it is a battle at the moment.

Sam's bridle settings not working then?

Juha

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:02 pm

I did try Sam's settings, but did not get any of the results in the video. The most important difference I have found is that you need a *lot* of weight in the tail. What you also do not see on the video is that in Lazies etc the nose has a strong propensity to drop half way through the move, ending up with the kite tangled in all of the lines. I need to persevere with it (I haven't finished yet), but it is always very tempting to fly my Nirvana instead. It is just a matter or time, or the lack of it.
If I ever run out of patience with it I will let you know.
Andy

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:46 pm

Steve try the standard T2 instead of the solo.

Flew that and the UL, ideal for ballet. nicely built (much better than a nirvana), and soon we will all have one....:)